Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 16:50   #31
OldNotWIse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The World of Dreams...
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubie76 View Post
That's great Op, fair play to you for making that sacrifice, lots wouldn't. He is so lucky! Hope the operation goes well and let us know how he gets on.

I will of course Glad I made this decision, hope he gets through the surgery ok. I'll post updates tomorrow. Back home now to the rest of the menagerie (4 cats and a dog lol)
OldNotWIse is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 11:22   #32
mymo
Registered User
 
mymo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,553
Poor cat, get the crate just big enough for a bed and litter tray and a corner free for food.
Keep the litter tray shallow, easy to get in and out.
When my fella was on crate rest with a broken leg it was hard, he wouldn't drink much so we bought the gravy pouches of food (cheap stinky ones he never gets normally) and dropped a few chunks in a small bowl of water, makes it taste good, dehydration is a big problem with cats in pain, they can cope with little or no food for few days.
Also used it to give him meds as he refuses to take any kind of tablet.
The do heal amazingly well, my vet thought we might have to amputate as it looked like he had nerve damage as well as a break near the hip, but he was fine after about 6 weeks and after 8 weeks was climbing the walls to get out, 10 weeks after he escaped out a window and caught a rat.
Hope the surgery goes well.
mymo is offline  
04-05-2012, 12:00   #33
OldNotWIse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The World of Dreams...
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymo View Post
Poor cat, get the crate just big enough for a bed and litter tray and a corner free for food.
Keep the litter tray shallow, easy to get in and out.
When my fella was on crate rest with a broken leg it was hard, he wouldn't drink much so we bought the gravy pouches of food (cheap stinky ones he never gets normally) and dropped a few chunks in a small bowl of water, makes it taste good, dehydration is a big problem with cats in pain, they can cope with little or no food for few days.
Also used it to give him meds as he refuses to take any kind of tablet.
The do heal amazingly well, my vet thought we might have to amputate as it looked like he had nerve damage as well as a break near the hip, but he was fine after about 6 weeks and after 8 weeks was climbing the walls to get out, 10 weeks after he escaped out a window and caught a rat.
Hope the surgery goes well.
Thanks for the info. Any idea where I'd get a crate? Left him out there this morning so have the anxious wait now (always worry about the anaesthetic). He seemed in good form though. Even with his leg strapped up and a cone (sorry, elizabethan collar ahem, lol) on his head, he was lying on his back purring when I put my hand into his carier. So adorable
OldNotWIse is offline  
04-05-2012, 15:03   #34
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In God's pocket
Posts: 4,701
Check donedeal online. We got a dog crate and gate cheaply there. Or else argos.

Wonderful that he is going to be fine... Bless your kind heart!
Graces7 is offline  
04-05-2012, 15:11   #35
OldNotWIse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The World of Dreams...
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Check donedeal online. We got a dog crate and gate cheaply there. Or else argos.

Wonderful that he is going to be fine... Bless your kind heart!

Head wrecked this afternoon tring to find a crate! I called the vet at 13:30 and he hadn't been taken to surgery yet - what was the point taking him in at 08:30????
OldNotWIse is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 15:23   #36
Zapperzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNotWIse View Post
Head wrecked this afternoon tring to find a crate! I called the vet at 13:30 and he hadn't been taken to surgery yet - what was the point taking him in at 08:30????
Ask your vet do they sell them, some allow you to take one home and just pay a deposit which you get back when you return it.

Things pop up, something else might have come in that was a higher priority.
Zapperzy is offline  
04-05-2012, 15:44   #37
OldNotWIse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The World of Dreams...
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapperzy View Post
Ask your vet do they sell them, some allow you to take one home and just pay a deposit which you get back when you return it.

Things pop up, something else might have come in that was a higher priority.
Maybe, I 'm just worried that he'll have to spend the night there (as it is, parents are away and the car here is banjaxed so I am relying onn, and paying for, taxi fares, neighbour favours etc to get the act around ) Bleurgh. Anyway I will hopefully hear something before I close up here and post an update!
Managed to find a crate (second hand) 3ftx 3ft x 2 ft) for forty euro. Not bad
OldNotWIse is offline  
04-05-2012, 15:53   #38
Saaron
Registered User
 
Saaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 590
Hope it all goes well, sounds like you love your animals very much
Saaron is offline  
Thanks from:
04-05-2012, 18:01   #39
FloatingVoter
Registered User
 
FloatingVoter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,933
I'm praying for that cat.... and I'm agnostic. Worst comes to the worst, cat heaven is full of wrecked cars, flightless birds and assorted rodents.

Best wishes, friend.
FloatingVoter is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 18:11   #40
planetX
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNotWIse View Post
Head wrecked this afternoon tring to find a crate! I called the vet at 13:30 and he hadn't been taken to surgery yet - what was the point taking him in at 08:30????
vets always take in the days patients before starting the surgery list. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't keep him a night after such major surgery.
planetX is offline  
04-05-2012, 22:28   #41
Zapperzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNotWIse View Post
Maybe, I 'm just worried that he'll have to spend the night there (as it is, parents are away and the car here is banjaxed so I am relying onn, and paying for, taxi fares, neighbour favours etc to get the act around ) Bleurgh. Anyway I will hopefully hear something before I close up here and post an update!
Managed to find a crate (second hand) 3ftx 3ft x 2 ft) for forty euro. Not bad
At 10.20 I'm sure he's already home or not but I'd be very surprised if he came home today. Chances are he'll be in for a few days after a surgery like that. Think about it if a human were to have a plate or a pin and wire put in their leg they'd be in hospital for weeks! His appetite won't be back for a day or two anyways so he'l need injections until he can take oral stuff.
Zapperzy is offline  
08-05-2012, 10:58   #42
OldNotWIse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The World of Dreams...
Posts: 6,072
Hey all, thanks for all the support

I called the vet Friday on my way home and they said they would be keeping him overnight. Fair enough. An emergency had come in which delayed his surgery. He needed to stay on the drip overnight as he was in a lot of pain. Two good reasons for leaving him til Saturday.

The guy I was meant to buy the crate from texted me last minute and said he'd changed his mind

Collected the cat Saturday and went into the petshop on the way home. The crates were 150!! I found one in the rabbit section () for 40 and it is absolutely perfect. It has a strong plastic base that's easy to clean and actually has the same floor area as the large dog crate for 150. (It's just not quite as high but he has room to stand) I think its about 2 metres long and 1 wide. Has plenty of space for a cushiony bed, litter tray and feeding bowls

He wasn't eating at all at first but eventually yesterday he started again (chicken dippers and crumbed whiting but what can you do when you're desperate lol) My wonderful neighbour who has a lot of experience handling cats is coming in twice per day to help me give the meds (it's not a one man job!) so thank God he seems to be doing ok now. He's a little grumpy but thats to be expected. He also seems to be having problems with furballs. My neighbour said she has a paste for this that she will bring in this evening when we do the meds. I'd be lost without her

So running total is now at nine hundred euro! 100 for our own vet. 650 for specialist. 100 for transportation to and from surgery, pet shop etc, 50 for crate and new feeding bowls and tray

Also managed to route out an old duvet and cut it up into sections. That way he has a comfy bed that can be changed for a clean one every day or two
Main thing is he is ok (fingers crossed) now. I had him outside in the sun for a while yesterday (in the crate) and I think he enjoyed the fresh air. The crate is brilliant actually because the tops (wire) part clips onto the plastic base, so it means if he finds a comfortable spot on the bed, I can just place the cage part over him so he doesn't jump off And that way he doesn't need to be watched constantly. So it's off now shopping for chicken filles, fish in oil (to help with furballs) and gourmet gold and sheba terrines (oh and chicken dippers lol)
OldNotWIse is offline  
08-05-2012, 13:16   #43
mymo
Registered User
 
mymo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,553
Thats great, thanks for the update.
They don't eat much after a big trauma (so my vet told me) until the pain is under control, so if he's eating again thats great.
Alos keep an eye on what he's drinking, they get dehydrated very easy, pinch a bit of skin at the back of the neck and if its slow to spring back to normal, he needs more fluids. As I said a pouch of gravy based food with a some water to make it soupy is great to get the fluids into them, and if you warm the water slightly they like it even better.
Don't feed to much the first week or so, make sure his bowels are ok and he's going freely (fish oil will help with this too).
Best of luck, sounds like he's in great hands.
mymo is offline  
08-05-2012, 13:39   #44
OldNotWIse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The World of Dreams...
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymo View Post
Thats great, thanks for the update.
They don't eat much after a big trauma (so my vet told me) until the pain is under control, so if he's eating again thats great.
Alos keep an eye on what he's drinking, they get dehydrated very easy, pinch a bit of skin at the back of the neck and if its slow to spring back to normal, he needs more fluids. As I said a pouch of gravy based food with a some water to make it soupy is great to get the fluids into them, and if you warm the water slightly they like it even better.
Don't feed to much the first week or so, make sure his bowels are ok and he's going freely (fish oil will help with this too).
Best of luck, sounds like he's in great hands.
Great thanks for that Good advice on the mixing with water and heating. Must try that later. I have let him out a couple of times and he can actually hop around quite well even now (one week since accident). It's so crucial that he doesnt jump though so I really have to watch him so he doesnt jump on the bed/chair etc :rolleyes:Actually, now that you mention it, there was no pooh in the litter tray yesterday (He had urinated alright) but then again, he hadn't eaten since Saturday. Hope there's one this evening when I get home from work (what an exciting life I lead )
OldNotWIse is offline  
08-05-2012, 14:00   #45
mymo
Registered User
 
mymo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,553
I know believe me, the things us pet owners do
Yeah, if the injury is the back end it can be painful to poop, so lots of fluids help (if dehydrated poop is dry and hard, keep an eye on that), and the oil will help, try a tin of sardines in oil, not the whole tin but a little at a time over few days.
try not to let him move around too much, my fella set himself back a week when he tried to jump on the sofa.

Oh and it was 4 or 5 days before my fella pooped, but he didn't eat for 4 days.
mymo is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet