Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-04-2012, 19:18   #46
dmcg90

A lot of the small coffee places in town are very similar in quality I've found, I'd welcome Starbucks to Galway. Places like Starbucks are what tourists expect from a city nowadays, I don't think any tourist has gone "Right, I'm not going to any city with a Starbucks". I don't see why Galway can't have the best of both worlds and have popular European chains like H&M and Starbucks and still keep it's originality, if Starbucks is as bad as is claimed then the smaller shops won't notice any drop in sales then.

It brings jobs, and a place to relax in town (that isn't a pub) and isn't that overpriced in it's food compared to some outlets in town (two buns and coffees in Arabica cost me an arm and a leg the last time).

Personally, location wise? Bar 903's old location or the spare unit beside HMV would be great for it.

Last edited by dmcg90; 29-04-2012 at 19:22.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-04-2012, 19:27   #47
Shakti
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcg90 View Post
location wise?.
Inishbofin,
29-04-2012, 19:32   #48
MagicMarker

I went into a Starbucks for the first time a while back, just out of convenience. I was really disappointed in the quality of the coffee tbh, also a large coffee and muffin was 5.50, which is absolutely fúcking scandalous. The same thing in Insomnia is 3.50 and, while the coffee isn't that great either, it's better than Starbucks.
29-04-2012, 22:02   #49
yer man!

Ya tbh I hate Starbucks americanos but i like all the other milky coffees and stuff like frappuchinos, they're just different. I just like the atmosphere and I find them pretty cosy to stay in for a while. I never get the feeling like I'm being rushed or on top of anyone.
30-04-2012, 01:30   #50
ScumLord

Quote:
A lot of the small coffee places in town are very similar in quality I've found, I'd welcome Starbucks to Galway. Places like Starbucks are what tourists expect from a city nowadays,
Yes tourists love travelling thousands of miles to find the same shops and restaurants as the place they just left.
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 05:17   #51
Doc Ruby

Quote:
I don't see why Galway can't have the best of both worlds and have popular European chains like H&M and Starbucks and still keep it's originality, if Starbucks is as bad as is claimed then the smaller shops won't notice any drop in sales then.
We could keep them in their own area like Chinatowns in US cities, maybe call it Chaintown or something.
(3) thanks from:
30-04-2012, 08:08   #52
MagicMarker

Quote:
if Starbucks is as bad as is claimed then the smaller shops won't notice any drop in sales then.
People don't buy products, they buy brands. An independent shop can't compete with the Starbucks brand.
30-04-2012, 09:15   #53
dmcg90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMarker View Post
People don't buy products, they buy brands. An independent shop can't compete with the Starbucks brand.
Smokies seems to manage just fine in NUI Galway with the Starbucks 'brand' there.
30-04-2012, 09:18   #54
dmcg90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumLord View Post
Yes tourists love travelling thousands of miles to find the same shops and restaurants as the place they just left.
Actually a sense of familiarity helps, such shops bring that. Tourists know exactly what they're going to get because they know it from home. Its the same reason why some people all over the world still go to Mc Donalds while on holiday, because its familiar.
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 09:25   #55
MagicMarker

Quote:
Smokies seems to manage just fine in NUI Galway with the Starbucks 'brand' there.
That doesn't really disprove my point, nor does it change the fact that people buy brands.

The poster I responded to said that if Starbucks was so bad then other places wouldn't notice a drop in sales (or something to that effect). My point is it doesn't matter how go or bad Starbucks coffee is because in the grand scheme of things people (generally) are buying the white cups with the starbucks logo on it, not the coffee inside.
30-04-2012, 12:46   #56
Ruben Remus

Quote:
Actually a sense of familiarity helps, such shops bring that. Tourists know exactly what they're going to get because they know it from home
From where are you pulling this bizarre theory that people travel in the hope of discovering exactly the same stuff they have at home?

I travel for precisely the opposite reason. So does everyone I know. I dislike what Starbucks represents, and the fact that its business plan is geared towards putting independent coffee shops out of business. Therefore I refuse to spend money in any of its outlets.

Have you ever heard a tourist saying: "This place would be great if only it had more multinational retail/food outlets"? I can't imagine a visitor to Galway saying or thinking that.
(2) thanks from:
30-04-2012, 12:58   #57
dmcg90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Remus View Post
From where are you pulling this bizarre theory that people travel in the hope of discovering exactly the same stuff they have at home?

I travel for precisely the opposite reason. So does everyone I know. I dislike what Starbucks represents, and the fact that its business plan is geared towards putting independent coffee shops out of business. Therefore I refuse to spend money in any of its outlets.

Have you ever heard a tourist saying: "This place would be great if only it had more multinational retail/food outlets"? I can't imagine a visitor to Galway saying or thinking that.
Its called homogeneity, similar products, brands etc to your home market. I didn't say its going to attract visitors, its a plus however.
30-04-2012, 13:12   #58
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMarker View Post
it doesn't matter how go or bad Starbucks coffee is because in the grand scheme of things people (generally) are buying the white cups with the starbucks logo on it, not the coffee inside.
Actually when I'm travelling, I'm quite often buying the right to spend 30-45 minutes sitting in a nice atmosphere and to use the toilets.

Sometimes I want the carbon-based things that I get given at the same time, sometimes I don't.

It'd be great if there were plenty of a locally owned places that could give me this service, but sadly here they're all called "pubs" and seem to come with an expectation that grotty decor and nasty toilets are ok, and I'm available for chatting to.
(4) thanks from:
03-05-2012, 00:30   #59
NullZer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaneh View Post
The only starbuckswith free wifi in Dublin is the one in Terminal 1 in Dublin Airport. The rest of the all have either ****ty bitbuzz or other pre paid wifi services.
They all have free WiFi
03-05-2012, 00:32   #60
NullZer0

I can respect the argument about competition and how this might affect other shops in the area.

There is a simple solution - do what you do better, offer great service and great products (regardless of what it is).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion