Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2012, 14:14   #1
clohamon

Comreg: Broadband Speeds

Comreg seems to have something in the works about the reporting of broadband speeds.

The latest minutes from the Comreg consumer panel includes this
Quote:
(iii) Broadband Speed
Barbara Delaney and Jacqueline Moore presented details of the broadband speed information initiative that is being developed by ComReg.
The program for government includes this
Quote:
We will mandate the regulator to require all broadband providers to publish average speeds for each package.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2012, 14:40   #2
rardagh

Send a message via Skype™ to rardagh
The European Commission are way ahead of them, and they should piggy back on the free EU initiative rather than blow money on their own one.

I've signed up for this one:

http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/

Am expecting a whitebox in the post, and my UPC connection will be under scrutiny!!
13-01-2012, 16:15   #3
watty

UPC is the least of our worries.
Vodafone, eMobile, Meteor, Satellite, O2, Three and Imagine are the really "Interesting" ones.
(4) thanks from:
13-01-2012, 19:26   #4
MMFITWGDV

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty View Post
Vodafone, eMobile, Meteor, Satellite, O2, Three and Imagine are the really "Interesting" ones.
Unfortunately that whitebox is only for fixed line connections. I would dearly love to expose those ISPs and their awful midband offerings.
(4) thanks from:
13-01-2012, 19:48   #5
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMFITWGDV View Post
Unfortunately that whitebox is only for fixed line connections. I would dearly love to expose those ISPs and their awful midband offerings.
Yes, and would eat up the data limit
Quote:
NOTE: Our Whiteboxes download approximately 3GB per month and upload around 1GB. If you’re on a product with a low usage cap then we’d advise against signing up, or at least informing us beforehand so that we can apply a different testing profile.
http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/requirements
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 11:52   #6
croo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMFITWGDV View Post
Isn't it telling that the service selected by governments for National Broadband Scheme are not considered as broadband for the EU testing.
Next what will happen is... because of the above, reported average speeds will be increased. Now government and their "independent" agencies mix their own statistics of broadband coverage that does includes midband with these average broadband only figures from Europe and declare they have solved the broadband issues for Ireland.
16-01-2012, 19:12   #7
omg a kitty
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardagh View Post
The European Commission are way ahead of them, and they should piggy back on the free EU initiative rather than blow money on their own one.

I've signed up for this one:

http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/

Am expecting a whitebox in the post, and my UPC connection will be under scrutiny!!
I got mine on the post today, its a shame I cant use it as a router
17-01-2012, 10:38   #8
ainiseoir

Note the "Power" switch is the bigger of the two black buttons.
When the cables are attached and space at a premium not obvious.
I spent some time yesterday pressing what in hindsight was perhaps a "reset" button, cursing my luck at getting a dud and other equally high-level theories.
The thing started up quite nicely once I took a closer look.
Mortified, but I thought I'd share it.
17-01-2012, 12:33   #9
rardagh

Send a message via Skype™ to rardagh
Quote:
Originally Posted by omg a kitty View Post
I got mine on the post today, its a shame I cant use it as a router
I saw that it's already been hacked to do just that! : http://blog.nyr.be/hacking-the-whitebox/
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 18:21   #10
clohamon

Quote:
the Commission has commenced a project with the objective of developing and piloting a methodology and a tool for measuring and publishing broadband speeds experienced by consumers using different platforms. This should allow users to obtain comparable information on available broadband speeds, by operator package, by county and by time of day.
http://www.comreg.ie/publications/co....104091.p.html

Not sure if doing it by county is of much benefit. They really need a much finer grid than that.
02-05-2012, 08:06   #11
watty

They don't want accurate answers but cheap answers that tell them what they want to hear, i.e. averaged with UPC.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion