Wingsuit Flying - Anyone interested? - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-03-2012, 20:33   #16
Danny.B

If its wingsuits your into then check this out, it has to be the best flight ever filmed by a mile

Advertisement
23-03-2012, 00:14   #17
gigino
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B View Post
If its wingsuits your into then check this out, it has to be the best flight ever filmed by a mile

great youtube. looks great fun but not for the faint hearted.
23-03-2012, 19:38   #18
Danny.B

the fella that made that crashed in janunary at the same jump site and got multipe fractures

lucky to be alive

Last edited by Danny.B; 23-03-2012 at 19:41.
30-03-2012, 03:37   #19
RedFly

Declan, the requirement is 200 jumps.

Celtic-Chick, who is your husband? Can I assume it's Liam?

Rane, I am a skydiver, wingsuiter and a member of the IPC. I am not a FFC or PF coach.
I did my first wingsuit jump 9 months after my first skydive and have done quite a few since. ( Here's my first wingsuit jump, a little boring to look at, just doing exercises to pass the course https://vimeo.com/29118931 )

My advice.

1) Become a very competent skydiver and canopy pilot. I spent a LOT of money doing canopy courses and learning everything I could about actually flying.

2) Learn as much as you can about your gear. I have a wingsuit modification to my rig and wore my wingsuit around the DZ for a while. I also had my first cutaway on jump 73 which scared me enough to want to learn more about my gear and emergency procedures. Wingsuiting is a different animal and is subject to different malfunctions.

3) Go somewhere that's not Ireland. I travel around the world going to different DZs. Chasing the weather Most of my jumps were done in Florida.

4) Get wingsuiting out of your mind for now. There's a LOT to learn about skydiving before you are going to be ready. It's going to take time. If you do it in Ireland, it's going to take a LOT of time. I've dropped wingsuiting for a bit while I learn more about different styles of flying. All of which will help my wingsuiting.

5) Join the IPC and speak to the coaches there. They know everything there is to know about wingsuiting and can give you better advice on a progression path than you'll get here on the internet.

6) If you have a wife or kids, forget it. If you PLAN on having a wife or kids with someone outside of the skydiving world, forget it. The biggest surprise to me when I started was how close the skydiving community is around the world. LITERALLY, everyone knows everyone. It's very easy to get COMPLETELY sucked in.

7) Most skydivers try wingsuiting when they are ready. MANY realize that it's not for them. MANY find it boring (I can SOMEWHAT relate).

Finally, those videos are wingsuit proximty flying. A variation of base jumping. Don't mean to burst your bubble but you will NOT be proxiimity flying after anywhere NEAR 200 jumps!
01-04-2012, 00:01   #20
xflyer

Quote:
6) If you have a wife or kids, forget it. If you PLAN on having a wife or kids with someone outside of the skydiving world, forget it. The biggest surprise to me when I started was how close the skydiving community is around the world. LITERALLY, everyone knows everyone. It's very easy to get COMPLETELY sucked in.
Never a truer word spoken.

In fact most of the above.
Advertisement
03-04-2012, 15:33   #21
bog_savage

I love your attitude Rane , you will fit in well in the IPC . Im an AFF instructor so im sure ill bump into you down there .

My advice for you when you have such definite goals is skip the tandem and go straight to AFF . I think the next AFF course is April 14th .If you call the IPC they can hook you up . Once you have done the 7 levels you can jump solo , then learn to do formation dives with friends . Dont get too caught up in clocking up jump numbers fast , rather learn everything you can . There are a lot of world class coaches in the IPC who are willing to pass on their knowledge to anyone who wants it .

There are lots of different disciplines in skydiving , if you dont get distracted by them and still want to fly wingsuits , I would recommend a tracking suit after 100 jumps or so . They feel like and perform like early wingsuits but dont restrict your arms and legs so dont compromise your safety , and they are a BLAST to fly .

As others have mentioned , Ireland is cursed by weather so its difficult to jump as much as you want , however you can visit dropzones in sunnier countries and do 50 - 100 jumps in a week . Members of the IPC regularly organise such trips so im sure you will hear about em once you make a load of friends there .

also FYI there is a bunk house on the dropzone so you can stay for the weekend , from now on we jump from sun up to sun down so all the adrenalin addicts stay there rather than loose precious minutes driving home and back ;p
05-04-2012, 17:59   #22
Rane

Send a message via MSN to Rane
Thanks for all the comments so far everyone!

I did the tandem over the weekend at the IPC with one of my mates.
Everything went fine and I loved it...

Next stop AFF
10-04-2012, 03:14   #23
skydivedemon

@ Rane:
Welcome to our world. Speaking as a Wingsuiter (& Irish Wingsuit Coach), it's definitely worth aspiring to. As Bob has already stated, don't get hung up on jump numbers, just enjoy the ride! Each & every jump will be a learning experience as well as the thrill of your life! Eventually (after minimum 200 jumps in a period of 1.5 years, or 500 jumps total) you'll get to the point when you'll be eligible to fly a Wingsuit & experience yet another skydiving discipline & I guarantee that you'll be amazed!

FYI: BASE jumping & Skydiving are completely different sports. If you liked the Wingsuit BASE jump footage of Jeb Corlis then check out this fantastic footage from Phoenix-Fly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0mi...ure=plpp_video

See ya in the sky ;-)

Blue Skies...
01-05-2012, 20:33   #24
Rane

Yeah those guys are amazing.
This is easily my favorite video of Wingsuit flying ever...
http://vimeo.com/35368665
Advertisement
01-01-2013, 19:15   #25
mac 21

Hi Rane, just checking how you got on? You've the same interest as myself (never did any jumps though) regarding this and wing-suit jumping...but for now for many reasons i can't pursue it but interested in how you're doing?
07-02-2013, 23:31   #26
Rane

Hey everyone! Sorry for taking so long to give updates! Due to money constraints I had to hold off on the training in 2012, but I've been saving and we're going ahead with it all soon Me and 1 of my friends who has been doing the Tandem's with me are going to start and complete AFF in June. Anyone who's interested in joining us for AFF training send me on a private message and I'll get back to you with an update on when we're starting.

It would be amazing if we could get a small group of 5 or 6 people who were interested in completing AFF for a solo license; And possibly continuing on to come to France or Italy to fast track solo dives to start wing suit training with us.

Anyone interested give me a shout and we can talk about it more
25-02-2013, 19:15   #27
soul_jd

hey man, read your post about looking to learn wingsuit flying, well what im doing at the moment is for charity, And I've set up a project called project 25 and its for the share a dream foundation here in ireland, and one thing im doing is 25 skydives in one week, its all for charity too so its for a good cause, but afterwards I'll be looking to get into wingsuit flying.
25-02-2013, 23:39   #28
miker1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_jd View Post
hey man, read your post about looking to learn wingsuit flying, well what im doing at the moment is for charity, And I've set up a project called project 25 and its for the share a dream foundation here in ireland, and one thing im doing is 25 skydives in one week, its all for charity too so its for a good cause, but afterwards I'll be looking to get into wingsuit flying.

Are you doing 25 tandems or solos? How much is it costing?
25-02-2013, 23:46   #29
soul_jd

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker1983 View Post
Are you doing 25 tandems or solos? How much is it costing?
Hey man, Because its all for charity and im trying to prove the point that I can put myself through an activity that wil be quite demanding, same as the families that im raising the money for, im doing my first practice jump in about 2 weeks which will be a tandem, then when the challenge starts ill be doing them all solo, your talking 5 jumps a day over five days, first 2 out of this challenge will be tandem, about 4 of em will be static line and the rest all solo.

if you wanna know more about it, facebook it, project 25, 25 skydives.

also my contact details are on it if you would like to talk with me personally on the matter.

take it easy bud.
Thanks from:
26-02-2013, 13:57   #30
jimmurt

Winsuit first flight course

I've decided to take the plunge and do a Wingsuit FFC. I live in the US so hoping to do it at a DZ in South Carolina over the next 2/3 months.

The place I'm doing it at has a 200 jump minumum policy. They also rent suits long term so you can get a few jumps until your belt at your own DZ before you invest in a higher end suit.

I keep you updated with progress once I start.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion