Neil de Grasse Tyson: I'm agnostic - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 16:38   #16
Zombrex
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 25,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushtrak View Post
This highlights exactly why secularism is necessary. There are only two fair options, build a school for every belief out there, or make all schools equal. Of course the second is really the only option.
Zombrex is offline  
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 16:52   #17
I-Shot-Jr
Registered User
 
I-Shot-Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombrex View Post
This highlights exactly why secularism is necessary. There are only two fair options, build a school for every belief out there, or make all schools equal. Of course the second is really the only option.
From what I understand she wants her children to be taught Catholicism and raised catholic by the school. And she can't do this herself...because?

When I have kids I'm going to demand that the state provide them education on the force and the ways of the jedi. Let's see how far I get.
I-Shot-Jr is offline  
(7) thanks from:
04-05-2012, 20:00   #18
Icepick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
In the end, He'll do more good with that than all of us put together are likely to achieve in the name of atheism.
That's because there is nothing to achieve in the name of atheism.

The entire debate about atheism and agnosticism is a red herring.
If someone asks you if there are unicorns or fairies, do you answer I don't know or no?

Last edited by Icepick; 04-05-2012 at 20:16.
Icepick is offline  
Thanks from:
04-05-2012, 20:26   #19
Gbear
Registered User
 
Gbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icepick View Post
That's because there is nothing to achieve in the name of atheism.

The entire debate about atheism and agnosticism is a red herring.
If someone asks you if there are unicorns or fairies, do you answer I don't know or no?
You say "I don't know" because one can never know for certain.
In the strictest sense everyone should be agnostic about literally everything.
However, I'm afairyest because I do not believe there are fairies.

The question of atheist or theist pertains to belief. You're either one or the other. Either you believe or you don't believe. What you know is a different question.

"Is there a god" is one of agnostic or gnostic. Most Theists seem to gnostic.
Most atheists if you were to really push them and if they were being logically consistent would be agnostic.

Last edited by Gbear; 04-05-2012 at 20:28.
Gbear is offline  
04-05-2012, 22:17   #20
Sparks
Category Moderator
 
Sparks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 34,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbear View Post
Most atheists if you were to really push them and if they were being logically consistent would be agnostic.
<insert reference to teapot in Mars orbit here>
Sparks is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 23:16   #21
Gbear
Registered User
 
Gbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
<insert reference to teapot in Mars orbit here>
And yes, agnostic about teapots.

One might've escaped from the space shuttle and found it's way to orbit around mars!
Gbear is offline  
05-05-2012, 00:22   #22
Sparks
Category Moderator
 
Sparks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 34,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbear View Post
One might've escaped from the space shuttle and found it's way to orbit around mars!
Insufficient delta-v...
Sparks is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet