Cloud Computing Security - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-04-2012, 12:34   #1
yorkie727

Cloud Computing Security

Hi All

I'v being look around for company's that have there cloud computing security hacked or any security breaches, and all I can find is a simple explanations of what happened. But i need a more technical explanation. If anyone has seen any thing could you help me out please.

Regards
Advertisement
20-04-2012, 17:14   #2
BaconZombie
/dev/random

What do you count as "cloud computing"?
Also having "Cloud" and "Security" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

Edit:

What class are you taking, and what is the wording of the assignment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie727 View Post
Hi All

I'v being look around for company's that have there cloud computing security hacked or any security breaches, and all I can find is a simple explanations of what happened. But i need a more technical explanation. If anyone has seen any thing could you help me out please.

Regards
Thanks from:
21-04-2012, 23:35   #3
Ctrl Alt Del

You can take the example of Megaupload where security was at a lower layer than some political reasons that brought the whole business to a halt !
I'm not arguing or trying to say if is good or bad but beside security (white ,black or grey areas) you have to think out of the box.

God luck with assignment !
22-04-2012, 12:51   #4
Dermot Illogical

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie727 View Post
Hi All

Regards
The vast majority will have brushed anything like that under the carpet where possible, and those that haven't will still be reluctant to tell the world how easily they were breached.
23-04-2012, 01:15   #5
JimmyCrackCorn

The Cloud gets banged around far too much. Its a business term that means everything and nothing as a result.

From experience in a number of real projects you end up with a couple of key problems

Questions:
Where does your data rest?
How is your data secured at rest?
How is physical access to the secured?

They live on amazon ec2/ec3/azure just doesn't cut it as an answer.

Which laws apply to data is another fun question if there is a chance it can migrate to the US should Amazon have another mystical lightning strike.

The one company I saw who had serious privacy concerns and wanted to address them hired a data-centre in Dublin to provide private cloud. (so virtual hosting then)

I actually haven't seen many companies jump on to the cloud with the normal business apps. This may change when hardware refresh time arrives.

With the exception of hosted mail and the normal hosted Virtual web Server. Which was normal a decade ago in the form of a hosted physical or shared web services.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 16:33   #6
syklops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCrackCorn View Post
The Cloud gets banged around far too much. Its a business term that means everything and nothing as a result.

From experience in a number of real projects you end up with a couple of key problems

Questions:
Where does your data rest?
How is your data secured at rest?
How is physical access to the secured?

They live on amazon ec2/ec3/azure just doesn't cut it as an answer.

Which laws apply to data is another fun question if there is a chance it can migrate to the US should Amazon have another mystical lightning strike.

The one company I saw who had serious privacy concerns and wanted to address them hired a data-centre in Dublin to provide private cloud. (so virtual hosting then)

I actually haven't seen many companies jump on to the cloud with the normal business apps. This may change when hardware refresh time arrives.

With the exception of hosted mail and the normal hosted Virtual web Server. Which was normal a decade ago in the form of a hosted physical or shared web services.
I remember being at a conference in the US, and I was with some colleagues and I suggested we should write an RFC defining what a cloud is, and then anytime someone said cloud, if it didnt match what we had described, then it have to be called an RFC non-compliant cloud.

We may have been drinking at the time.
01-05-2012, 14:14   #7
BaconZombie
/dev/random

Great idea but look at how all the major companies have rolled out there own version of something with had a RFC but they tacked on some custom/proprietary modification.

Also all good ideas come out of drinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by syklops View Post
I remember being at a conference in the US, and I was with some colleagues and I suggested we should write an RFC defining what a cloud is, and then anytime someone said cloud, if it didnt match what we had described, then it have to be called an RFC non-compliant cloud.

We may have been drinking at the time.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion