Computing Students - Page 22 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-04-2012, 11:26   #316
siblers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiRip View Post
Just wondering, for the people that failed the CAs overall do they have to repeat the year again as you can't repeat CAs?
I got 79% but I have no idea how, was expecting to get somewhere between 50 and 60.
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 11:26   #317
JFlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinicus View Post
Project submitted. For better or worse. I don't know, it went majorly arseways on me. If I scrape a pass for it I'll be happy.
I,m sure it's much better than you think yourself very best of luck with it.
30-04-2012, 11:29   #318
JFlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintel View Post
That is how it works I believe, I remember last year for Digital Imaging we were told that if you had to repeat that it was one day exam. Your given a brief something on the day and you had to come up with something. Don't think I would enjoy that too much.
I think with most subjects that dont have a FE, that you have a chance to repeat it during the summer, tbh I think that is something you would want to avoid at all costs as you wont have the same level of support from the lecturers as you would during the term.
Yeah ,having a poor level of support would be terrible in some cases!!!
Thanks from:
30-04-2012, 11:32   #319
JFlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by siblers View Post
I got 79% but I have no idea how, was expecting to get somewhere between 50 and 60.
Well done , in ok shape overall so ?
30-04-2012, 12:07   #320
siblers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlah View Post
Well done , in ok shape overall so ?
Sound!38.5% out of 50 going into the final exam, surprised by Java this semester, figured it was gonna be the one i'd struggle with most but its been grand overall.

There isn't much excuse really to be failing the likes of Digital Imaging or Vis Comm, even if you aren't good with photoshop etc, there were loads and loads of marks to be picked up from research books alone, people struggling with java etc I can empathise with them alright.
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 14:25   #321
JFlah

Quote:
Sound!38.5% out of 50 going into the final exam, surprised by Java this semester, figured it was gonna be the one i'd struggle with most but its been grand overall.

There isn't much excuse really to be failing the likes of Digital Imaging or Vis Comm, even if you aren't good with photoshop etc, there were loads and loads of marks to be picked up from research books alone, people struggling with java etc I can empathise with them alright.
Agree 100% with you... have 47.25% for Java happy days Web Design proving so frustrating that I,m not achieving much despite loads of time spent on it!

Last edited by JFlah; 30-04-2012 at 14:28. Reason: More to add.
30-04-2012, 14:52   #322
siblers

Quote:
Agree 100% with you... have 47.25% for Java happy days Web Design proving so frustrating that I,m not achieving much despite loads of time spent on it!
Web Design is awfully slow alright, although I've more or less done the products page which was a right pain but at least i've all my divs etc done which makes the other pages a bit easier.

Have you used any stock photo websites to get images? There was one great site I had used but Im just after realising that the t&c when you download an image off there state you have to reference the website. Tryin to find a different site now but most of them are pretty awful.
30-04-2012, 14:55   #323
JFlah

Quote:
Web Design is awfully slow alright, although I've more or less done the products page which was a right pain but at least i've all my divs etc done which makes the other pages a bit easier.

Have you used any stock photo websites to get images? There was one great site I had used but Im just after realising that the t&c when you download an image off there state you have to reference the website. Tryin to find a different site now but most of them are pretty awful.
No I tried to stick with images we were given and 2 more images from the exisiting site simply to avoid the referencing and copyright issues but it looks fairly ****E tbh!! still am only aiming for an ok mark really.
Once you have the divs etc sorted I think most of the hard work is done.... I hope anyway!!!
One thing about it is I definitely understand aspects of designing a site much more clearly now, if only i was good enough to make it pay )
30-04-2012, 18:24   #324
AntiRip
Closed Account

Quote:
One thing about it is I definitely understand aspects of designing a site much more clearly now, if only i was good enough to make it pay )
I'm not so sure. I saw a site that was made for a cousin of mine by a professional crowd and I was shocked. It was all done on WordPress which is simple to do and he was charged e800 for the privilege. I was asked to go into WordPress to change a few things for him. I would have definitely done it for half the price! Although if you had to do it from scratch, all in code you would definitely earn your money. Don't think it would pay actually judging from the amount of time it's taking me to do four pages
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 20:00   #325
siblers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiRip View Post
I'm not so sure. I saw a site that was made for a cousin of mine by a professional crowd and I was shocked. It was all done on WordPress which is simple to do and he was charged e800 for the privilege. I was asked to go into WordPress to change a few things for him. I would have definitely done it for half the price! Although if you had to do it from scratch, all in code you would definitely earn your money. Don't think it would pay actually judging from the amount of time it's taking me to do four pages
Yeah, when looking around online to get some ideas, the quality of design has been pretty poor. I've learn an awful lot about CSS doing this site and had we been allowed build our own site, I'd have probably come up with something a bit more creative. This project is awfully uninspiring.
30-04-2012, 20:07   #326
JFlah

Quote:
Yeah, when looking around online to get some ideas, the quality of design has been pretty poor. I've learn an awful lot about CSS doing this site and had we been allowed build our own site, I'd have probably come up with something a bit more creative. This project is awfully uninspiring.
Yeah definitely the subject matter is not helping the cause YAWN.... on a more serious note is Web Design realistically not doomed when tools like WordPress are becoming more and more commonplace and are so easy to use, surely except for large organisations companies etc will construct their own web presence on WordPress?
30-04-2012, 21:24   #327
siblers

Quote:
Yeah definitely the subject matter is not helping the cause YAWN.... on a more serious note is Web Design realistically not doomed when tools like WordPress are becoming more and more commonplace and are so easy to use, surely except for large organisations companies etc will construct their own web presence on WordPress?
Yeah, hard to imagine there being much demand for someone who is only proficient in CSS, Javascripting and Flash are probably the 2 most in demand and I imagine a lot harder than CSS.
01-05-2012, 09:33   #328
JFlah

Quote:
Yeah, hard to imagine there being much demand for someone who is only proficient in CSS, Javascripting and Flash are probably the 2 most in demand and I imagine a lot harder than CSS.
Apparently Javascript is 'OK' I,m thinking of trying to learn PHP over the summer , can,t hurt I'm thinking!
01-05-2012, 10:01   #329
Encrypted Pigeon

If you get a chance, look at SQL as well, trust me, you will be doing yourself a favour.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp
01-05-2012, 11:12   #330
JFlah

[QUOTE=Sintel;78437610]If you get a chance, look at SQL as well, trust me, you will be doing yourself a favour.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice I,ll try and give it a bit of time over the hols

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion