my foot is hanging off - do you think mushroom paste will fix it - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-04-2012, 19:59   #46
sam34

^edit to above actually at least 3 doctors have posted here.
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 20:15   #47
locum-motion

Regarding the issue of the front page of this forum being clogged up with closed threads:

Rather than closing the threads, would it be an idea to have a great big superthread, to which threads asking for advice could be moved. The mods could just move all the dodgy threads into it and re-lock it each time. Call it 'The Advice Seekers' Graveyard', or something.
Thanks from:
30-04-2012, 20:37   #48
penguin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by locum-motion View Post
Regarding the issue of the front page of this forum being clogged up with closed threads:

Rather than closing the threads, would it be an idea to have a great big superthread, to which threads asking for advice could be moved. The mods could just move all the dodgy threads into it and re-lock it each time. Call it 'The Advice Seekers' Graveyard', or something.
The only problem with this L-M is that when a thread is moved into another forum/thread, the title of the thread still remains where it was (albwit as a dead link) preceded by a "Moved" tag, so this would still clog up the front page. The only solution to the forum being crowded by medical advice threads would seem to be deleting them, which comes with its own issues.
Thanks from:
30-04-2012, 20:49   #49
sam34

the issue with deleting them is that we'd have to leave them up a day or so to prevent the op thinking it just hadn't appeared and posting it again.

I used to think that having locked threads with the standard reply still on the front page would act as another sign to posters that we don't give medical advice here, but as I look at the current front page I see how misguided I was!
30-04-2012, 20:56   #50
penguin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam34 View Post
the issue with deleting them is that we'd have to leave them up a day or so to prevent the op thinking it just hadn't appeared and posting it again.

I used to think that having locked threads with the standard reply still on the front page would act as another sign to posters that we don't give medical advice here, but as I look at the current front page I see how misguided I was!
I was going to make the same point Sam about the locked threads still being visible with on thread warnings acting as a deterrent to further medical advice threads but based on the evidence of the current make up of the first page I thought better of ot!
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 21:29   #51
locum-motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin88 View Post
The only problem with this L-M is that when a thread is moved into another forum/thread, the title of the thread still remains where it was (albwit as a dead link) preceded by a "Moved" tag, so this would still clog up the front page. The only solution to the forum being crowded by medical advice threads would seem to be deleting them, which comes with its own issues.
True, didn't think of that.
Still, the dead link would say "Moved to the Advice Seekers' Graveyard", wouldn't it? Might act as a deterrent a bit, no?
30-04-2012, 22:49   #52
roro1neil0

tbh it really isn't much of an inconvenience having locked threads, there rarely is anything worth talking about other than politics, payments and bitching about the hse.
30-04-2012, 23:31   #53
anotherlostie

I think calling it the advice seeker's graveyard might actually worry a few people...
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 00:14   #54
locum-motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherlostie View Post
I think calling it the advice seeker's graveyard might actually worry a few people...
That was the point!
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 20:17   #55
anotherlostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by locum-motion View Post
That was the point!
Perhaps this might help - I doubt it's on the curriculum for health professionals yet, but I personally believe it's important to have some when dealing with people who are worried about their health, even those online where they are actively told not to ask about it

http://www.businessballs.com/empathy.htm
03-05-2012, 20:25   #56
locum-motion

Quote:
Perhaps this might help - I doubt it's on the curriculum for health professionals yet, but I personally believe it's important to have some when dealing with people who are worried about their health, even those online where they are actively told not to ask about it

Low blow, and not in keeping with the humourous nature of this particular thread.
04-05-2012, 05:59   #57
maninasia

Humorous, the only humorous part is the title!
04-05-2012, 09:11   #58
MrCreosote

Quote:

Maybe you could point out some unempathic posts in the locked threads- because I've never seen one. They are usually gently reminded to check the charter and see their doctor. "Empathy" doesn't extend to recommending people get bullsh*t advice on an anonymous message board.
08-05-2012, 02:33   #59
UL_heart_throb
Closed Account

perhaps all new threads should be pre-moderated and or people with less than 25 posts (or another number)cannot start a new thread.
08-05-2012, 02:44   #60
Delancey
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by UL_heart_throb View Post
perhaps all new threads should be pre-moderated and or people with less than 25 posts (or another number)cannot start a new thread.
Good point - going from memory alone I think a disproportionate number of advice threads are started by people with nil previous posts anywhere on boards.ie , in otherwords they join specifically to ask for medical advice.
Perhaps low post counters could be compelled to go through pre-moderation ?
Even if technically possible pre-moderation can tend to increase Moderator workload and on the 1 forum that did operate it I know the mods were not sorry to see it done away with.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion