Full Length Amateur Drama Circuit 2012 - Page 6 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-04-2012, 10:16   #76
poteen

As most of ye know by now, Letterkenny lived up to the hype on Saturday night in Shercock winning a bagful of awards and the overall winners. I was at the show and really liked it. I felt the first act was stronger than the 2nd act and it lost its way a bit but overall I felt it was a clear winner. The production side of the show was so slick and rehearsed. I do think its a shame that their is no Soud award for the confined all irelands as this important element in any show should be acknowledged , Letterkennys sound was simply brilliant.

After that, Doonbeg finished 2nd and Droichead Nua 3rd.

A quick word about Shercock. What a well ran festival ! The Atmosphere and craic there on Saturday Night was just brilliant. The venue looked very well and all of the groups seemed very happy with the technical aspects too.

On To Athlone now....
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 12:10   #77
Vinny-Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by poteen View Post

A quick word about Shercock. What a well ran festival ! The Atmosphere and craic there on Saturday Night was just brilliant. The venue looked very well and all of the groups seemed very happy with the technical aspects too.
Absolutely! Shercock was ran amazingly well. Couldn't fault a thing up there. The craic and hospitality was just brilliant. And the late nights...wow! And the awards are beautiful. Liking my one on the mantle

Mixed reviews about 39 Steps talking to the audience afterwards, but ye never know how impartial people are talking to a member of another group. But technically the show was absolutely superb! They deserved the win for all the effort involved.

That's it now. All over, including the shouting!
06-05-2012, 12:05   #78
Jon Joe1

Doesn't seem to be an evident leader yet but I think Silken Thomas are out of the running!!
06-05-2012, 15:57   #79
David Taylor

Hi everyone,
I was pointed in the direction of this site by a friend of mine. I used to be an avid follower of the drama circuit before I had to move to the UK at the start of the recession.
In my opinion there are many technical people (set, lighting designers etc) out there that should be competing for an all ireland crown but dont get to showcase at Athlone as the acting/direction wasnt strong enough to propel them there. Is this still the case? If so, who do you think should have their names in the hat this year?
06-05-2012, 17:39   #80
TrailerBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Joe1 View Post
Doesn't seem to be an evident leader yet but I think Silken Thomas are out of the running!!
Mr M isn't giving too much away, but he did seem critical of the first act of their show. And then he has had criticism of all 3 so far, so in my books it's all to play for. He had some pointers for our show on Thursday too, but we'll wait and see how it pans out!!
Advertisement
07-05-2012, 13:02   #81
Jon Joe1

Kilmeen are defenitly ahead now!!!! What a adjudication can anyone neat them????
07-05-2012, 13:05   #82
Jon Joe1

*beat
08-05-2012, 15:00   #83
conoroconnell

R u from Kilmeen, John Joe??

They have a top class show, which was matched by a good adjudication just like all the groups.. But I wouldn't rule out Silken Thomas just yet.. Thurles were very strong last night so who's to say they are not ahead either. Mr. M is keeping his cards very close to his chest but overall (being on the stage Friday 4th May) we smashed a great show in the Dean Crowe and it is in the lap of the Gods now..
08-05-2012, 15:19   #84
poteen

I havnt made it to Athlone yet due to work but Ive heard that The adjud. is keeping his thoughts pretty secret. Ive heard that the Thurles Seafarer was better received by the Adjud than Cornmills and may be in front overall.

Having seen some shows prior to the All Ireland, I still feel Kilmeens show will take alot of beating in Athlone. The Standard is just so high though and really to seperate the Top 5 groups you are really going down to fine detail and to be honest- the adjuds. personal taste. He could pick anyone of 5 odd plays and nobody could question it too much.

To be even in Athlone your show needs to be very good but that still doesnt make you exempt from taking crit from audience and adjud and you need to be able to take that too when you are putting yourself forward in competition to be judged.
Advertisement
08-05-2012, 15:33   #85
Jon Joe1

[QUOTE=poteen;78563936]I havnt made it to Athlone yet due to work but Ive heard that The adjud. is keeping his thoughts pretty secret. Ive heard that the Thurles Seafarer was better received by the Adjud than Cornmills and may be in front overall.

I would agree with that it looks like Thurles got a very good adjudication... Looking forward to Bunclody tonight and especially Ballyduff on Thursday hearing great things about it and heard it's better than it was on The circuit
so it most be really good!!
08-05-2012, 15:43   #86
poteen

[QUOTE=Jon Joe1;78564137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poteen View Post
I havnt made it to Athlone yet due to work but Ive heard that The adjud. is keeping his thoughts pretty secret. Ive heard that the Thurles Seafarer was better received by the Adjud than Cornmills and may be in front overall.

I would agree with that it looks like Thurles got a very good adjudication... Looking forward to Bunclody tonight and especially Ballyduff on Thursday hearing great things about it and heard it's better than it was on The circuit
so it most be really good!!

I saw the Bunclody show and felt there were one or 2 stand out performances most notably Hester and Josie but just too many average supporting performances for it to win Athlone.Presentation very good.

As for Ballyduff, Im hoping to make the show. They have a good record in Athlone and it is always remarked about how hard they work between the circuit and the finals. Ive heard that the production takes alot of risks which may or may not go down well with the Scotsman. Time Will tell.

Also hearing from loads of people how strong Estuary are. They know how to win so dont rule them out !
08-05-2012, 15:49   #87
Jon Joe1

[QUOTE=poteen;78564306]
Quote:

I saw the Bunclody show and felt there were one or 2 stand out performances most notably Hester and Josie but just too many average supporting performances for it to win Athlone.Presentation very good.

As for Ballyduff, Im hoping to make the show. They have a good record in Athlone and it is always remarked about how hard they work between the circuit and the finals. Ive heard that the production takes alot of risks which may or may not go down well with the Scotsman. Time Will tell.

Also hearing from loads of people how strong Estuary are. They know how to win so dont rule them out !

I've seen Estuary and I didn't like it personally, didn't like the set or one of the 3 characters... Not a fan!!
08-05-2012, 21:07   #88
pat loughnane

First time for four of our five cast members to perform on the stage in Athlone last night and what an experience it was for all involved. Delighted with our adjudication of course but no matter what happens Saturday night it has been a fantastic season ! Best of luck to all involved with Bunclody tonight and the remaining groups . See you all at the party Saturday night.!
09-05-2012, 13:20   #89
Jon Joe1

Great adjucdication last night I have a feeling it's between Bunclody and Thurles!!!
09-05-2012, 19:18   #90
pat loughnane

Quote:
Great adjucdication last night I have a feeling it's between Bunclody and Thurles!!!
What about Kilmeen ? Another great adjudication there ! Its going to be a hard one to call me thinks !

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion