Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-04-2012, 17:23   #226
ShamoBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by padd b1975 View Post
Att. 22,827.
Poor enough, very poor Cork turnout.
There was never going to be a big Cork crowd travel for this match.

I reckon there will be a far larger crowd travel for the hurling final next week.
Mayo fans can have a week off for that
Advertisement
29-04-2012, 17:55   #227
ShamoBuc

Having won 4 league titles in a row ( 1 div 2 then 3 div 1) that Cork team have an abundance of experience and I think they used it well today, particularly in the second half and that was the difference.
Mayo needed to be more than 4 up at ht. The conditions didn't really help either team I think. I fully expect to see Mayo back in Croker though and be very competitve aswell.
Thanks from:
29-04-2012, 18:49   #228
padd b1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamoBuc View Post
Having won 4 league titles in a row ( 1 div 2 then 3 div 1) that Cork team have an abundance of experience and I think they used it well today, particularly in the second half and that was the difference.
Mayo needed to be more than 4 up at ht. The conditions didn't really help either team I think. I fully expect to see Mayo back in Croker though and be very competitve aswell.
No real complaints from Mayo, Cork serious contenders this year.
Would their at times poor kicking be a concern down there?
29-04-2012, 19:09   #229
Stinicker

Quote:
No real complaints from Mayo, Cork serious contenders this year.
Would their at times poor kicking be a concern down there?
Contenders yes, but still far off the mark.
29-04-2012, 19:19   #230
TomKat
Banned

The Mayo fans were brilliant today. Cork had no one. Tyrone had a few down too and of course the other crowd out the road were well represented!

Feel sorry for those who have travelled up so many times over the years returning with very little, takes a lot coming from a Tribesman! Surely a lot of it has to be mental. They played well first half then capitulated...
Advertisement
29-04-2012, 19:30   #231
teednab-el

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKat View Post
The Mayo fans were brilliant today. Cork had no one. Tyrone had a few down too and of course the other crowd out the road were well represented!

Feel sorry for those who have travelled up so many times over the years returning with very little, takes a lot coming from a Tribesman! Surely a lot of it has to be mental. They played well first half then capitulated...
In fairness they were playing one of the best teams in the country. It's debatable too saying that Kerry are the team to beat. Since 2010, Kerry have no major silverware bar munster medals. Cork have 3 leagues won and an all Ireland in 2010 so for now Cork are the team to beat but saying that Kerry would beat Cork if we met in the championship for sure, must be a physiological thing or something.

Last edited by teednab-el; 29-04-2012 at 19:40.
29-04-2012, 19:47   #232
padd b1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by teednab-el View Post
In fairness they were playing one of the best teams in the country. It's debatable too saying that Kerry are the team to beat. Since 2010, Kerry have no major silverware bar munster medals. Cork have 3 leagues won and an all Ireland in 2010 so for now Cork are the team to beat but saying that Kerry would beat Cork if we met in the championship for sure, must be a physiological thing or something.
I would not be so sure.
Having played Cork and Kerry twice recently, I would have to say Cork are in much better shape right now.
29-04-2012, 19:50   #233
TomKat
Banned

Quote:
Never mentioned Kerry... I mean a mental thing for Mayo...
29-04-2012, 19:52   #234
TomKat
Banned

Quote:
I would not be so sure.
Having played Cork and Kerry twice recently, I would have to say Cork are in much better shape right now.
I agree 100% but Kerry won't be far off come Championship time. Feel its certainly between the two of them. Still can't get over Dublin and the ref winning last year...
Advertisement
29-04-2012, 19:59   #235
padd b1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKat View Post
I agree 100% but Kerry won't be far off come Championship time. Feel its certainly between the two of them. Still can't get over Dublin and the ref winning last year...
Munster Championship match is going to be huge for Kerry, would they have the hunger for the "chicken and chips" circuit?
29-04-2012, 20:20   #236
Stinicker

Quote:
Cork haven't beaten Kerry in 3 years in Championship football and have not knocked Kerry out of the Championship in 13 years. Kerry are the team to beat with 7 All-Ireland final appearances in 8 years and 4 AI titles in the same time. Kerry lost last years All-Ireland by one point thanks to some hard luck. I will however give Cork this they are a far superior team to Dublin and will beat anything put in front of them with the exception of Kerry.
29-04-2012, 20:24   #237
TomKat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinicker View Post
Cork haven't beaten Kerry in 3 years in Championship football and have not knocked Kerry out of the Championship in 13 years. Kerry are the team to beat with 7 All-Ireland final appearances in 8 years and 4 AI titles in the same time. Kerry lost last years All-Ireland by one point thanks to some hard luck. I will however give Cork this they are a far superior team to Dublin and will beat anything put in front of them with the exception of Kerry.
Marry me!
29-04-2012, 20:59   #238
teednab-el

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinicker View Post
Quote:
Every team has a bogey team. For Cork its Kerry. For Kerry its Tyrone or Down. That doesn't hide the fact that Cork have more won this decade than Kerry so far.
29-04-2012, 23:34   #239
Fowler87

Good effort yet lacklustre at times by Mayo today against a very good Cork team. Alot of improvements especially in midfield and attack to be made but its better to realise that now..
29-04-2012, 23:51   #240
DDC1990

Mayo were nearly there.
Im afraid Horan made a mistake in taking Gibbons off instead of Moran.
Don't think it lost the game for them, but it certainly didn't help.
Cork's experience over the last 4 years certainly stood to them, as well as a superior Subs bench.

Mayo were unlucky in not getting a free when Keegan burst through and was fouled by Pierce O'Neill (who was also on a yellow card). Cork wen't straight down and put the ball in the net, which effectivly ended the game.

Cork were the better team and deserved it, but Mayo certainly didn't lose any respect out there. They are still a little short in all areas of the field, and need to figure out their best Full Forward line. They need to get Cillian O'Connor into the game, as he is one of the most talented young footballers in the game. Michael Shields shut him down today in the second half, after he was productive in the first.

A Semi Final spot is a strong possiblility again for this Mayo team, maybe more. Horan is a very good manager, and has some great players to work with.
O'Connor, McLoughlin, Boyle, Cafferkey, Vaughan, Moran, Dillon, Keegan.
Lovely footballers. Fit, Pacey, Strong and hungry.

My advice is to cancel any holidays for August. A couple of big days in Croker beckon.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion