Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-04-2012, 23:28   #76
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerick man View Post
Well a single seater race car doesn't prepare you in any way for a 24 year old E30.
Well, they're rear wheel drive, don't have ABS and drink lots of petrol!
Advertisement
28-04-2012, 23:31   #77
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
Well, they're rear wheel drive, don't have ABS and drink lots of petrol!
i hope you're only joking!
28-04-2012, 23:31   #78
Daniel S

I'm just saying, I think I could drive the E30 just as well as mam's 1l Yaris.
29-04-2012, 00:01   #79
Jimdagym

Quote:
I'm just saying, I think I could drive the E30 just as well as mam's 1l Yaris.
Can you get insured on your mams yaris?
29-04-2012, 00:03   #80
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
Can you get insured on your mams yaris?
Seems to be the only option, but it's still very expensive. Really really expensive. I need her to ring and see if I could go down just as a named driver.
Advertisement
29-04-2012, 00:04   #81
Mycroft H

Quote:
Seems to be the only option, but it's still very expensive. Really really expensive. I need her to ring and see if I could go down just as a named driver.

50 quid says it works out cheaper then buying a 3 series and insuring that
29-04-2012, 00:06   #82
Foxhole Norman

Quote:
It can't be that expensive, I'm on my moms 2011 Clio 1.2 under my Dad with my brother and mother also on it and its costing us €1,200. That's when i had my learner permit. I've since passed the test but haven't claimed back yet.
29-04-2012, 00:08   #83
Jimdagym

Quote:
It will be no way more expensive than buying an e30, in any aspect. If you can do that for a year and get your test done, then start looking around, you will be in a much stronger position. You could save in the mean time and get a better condition car when buying time comes.

Id be the last person in the world to deny someone the privilege of driving a nice car, but persisting in buying an e30 at your age on a provisional licence is lunacy IMO.
29-04-2012, 00:09   #84
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX 19 View Post
50 quid says it works out cheaper then buying a 3 series and insuring that
Not a chance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhole Norman View Post
It can't be that expensive, I'm on my moms 2011 Clio 1.2 under my Dad with my brother and mother also on it and its costing us €1,200. That's when i had my learner permit. I've since passed the test but haven't claimed back yet.
Looks to be the only option alright.
Advertisement
29-04-2012, 00:14   #85
Daniel S

Quote:
It will be no way more expensive than buying an e30, in any aspect. If you can do that for a year and get your test done, then start looking around, you will be in a much stronger position. You could save in the mean time and get a better condition car when buying time comes.

Id be the last person in the world to deny someone the privilege of driving a nice car, but persisting in buying an e30 at your age on a provisional licence is lunacy IMO.
I just went on quoteme.ie and lobbed in mams details with me and dad as named drivers. Cheapest was with Aviva Broker Motorchoice Standard at €903.00. I think she's currently paying around €3xx for the year though. Pretty big hike although, less than €2 a day extra for me doesn't sound too bad.

Would they insure me as a named driver on mams car just for the summer where I could get a good bit of practice in and get the compusary lessons done. Then finish with the insurance, do the test and then go back?
29-04-2012, 00:16   #86
Limerick man

A friend of mine went down the named driving route for 2 years, he's paying through his teeth now for his own insurance.

i was always realistic with what i would insure. i started off on a Polo and moved onto a Golf and kept that for three years. With having an E30 and a Merc in between.
29-04-2012, 00:18   #87
Jimdagym

When is your mothers policy up? If it is late summer then perfect, just get added for the rest of this policy and pass your test in the meantime, then drop off hers when the policy is up for renewal and get your own, armed with the pink piece of paper in the back pocket.
29-04-2012, 00:18   #88
Mycroft H

Quote:
I just went on quoteme.ie and lobbed in mams details with me and dad as named drivers. Cheapest was with Aviva Broker Motorchoice Standard at €903.00. I think she's currently paying around €3xx for the year though. Pretty big hike although, less than €2 a day extra for me doesn't sound too bad.

Would they insure me as a named driver on mams car just for the summer where I could get a good bit of practice in and get the compusary lessons done. Then finish with the insurance, do the test and then go back?

Get the golden pages out. ring every broker/insurance company in there. You will get a better deal then that.
Thanks from:
29-04-2012, 00:22   #89
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerick man View Post
A friend of mine went down the named driving route for 2 years, he's paying through his teeth now for his own insurance.

i was always realistic with what i would insure. i started off on a Polo and moved onto a Golf and kept that for three years. With having an E30 and a Merc in between.
I'd only want to be on named insurance until I got my test.

Quote:
When is your mothers policy up? If it is late summer then perfect, just get added for the rest of this policy and pass your test in the meantime, then drop off hers when the policy is up for renewal and get your own, armed with the pink piece of paper in the back pocket.
Mam's policy isn't due for renewal for another 9 months I'd say. That said, it's gonna be six months till I can do my test as I only got the lerners permit there last Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX 19 View Post
Get the golden pages out. ring every broker/insurance company in there. You will get a better deal then that.
Will do, but probably after exams. It's either go on mams now or wait. Should be studying now!
29-04-2012, 00:43   #90
hunkydory1

I had a 316i a few years back. Lovely looking car but very under powered. I can see why they are popular to younger drivers. However i found mine to be tail happy in the wet and wonder whether they are an ideal car for a young driver. Something more modern that's front wheel drive with a better safety rating for what might be similar money as a first car

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion