Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-04-2012, 23:31   #1
john6

First Boat

This may not be the right place but tought I mite just ask. Im looking to get a boat for general use really (spin with friends weather dependent, possibly a donut/ wake board, small bit of fishing) basically something with a bit of speed. I have a small bit of experience with boats ribs mainly but have recently been looking at bayliners/ sea rays in around the 5k mark. I will mainly be using it between malahide and maybe howth. Iv been told that these would be no use for me and that if there was any sort of swell these would be highly unstable and wouldn't have enough power and would be incredibly sluggish at 130hp 3liter.

Would this be the case. Does anyone have any advice? Im a bit lost here.
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 14:05   #2
lmmoonbeam1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by john6 View Post
This may not be the right place but tought I mite just ask. Im looking to get a boat for general use really (spin with friends weather dependent, possibly a donut/ wake board, small bit of fishing) basically something with a bit of speed. I have a small bit of experience with boats ribs mainly but have recently been looking at bayliners/ sea rays in around the 5k mark. I will mainly be using it between malahide and maybe howth. Iv been told that these would be no use for me and that if there was any sort of swell these would be highly unstable and wouldn't have enough power and would be incredibly sluggish at 130hp 3liter.

go to divegear.ie -- they sell boats as well
26-04-2012, 13:40   #3

See a wide range of wee boats on donedeal.ie

Could also check

www.apolloduck.ie/

www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk also list boats in Ireland
28-04-2012, 13:11   #4
Skuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by john6 View Post
. Iv been told that these would be no use for me and that if there was any sort of swell these would be highly unstable and wouldn't have enough power and would be incredibly sluggish at 130hp 3liter.

I'd agree with this to be honest, something like the bayiner capri is a great boat, but more suited to calmer waters like lakes etc!
I'd defo much prefer to go out on the sea in a rib thats for sure!!

As for where to look, donedeal or apolloduck would be your best bet!
16-06-2012, 12:51   #5
fergal.b

Hi John it might be a good idea to do a powerboat course http://www.powerboatschool.ie/ to get the feel of the more power boats this will also stand to you when you go to get your boat insured. The bayliners and the like will be fine for close to shore boating and a bit of water sports on calm days, 130hp is plenty power in a 17 foot boat top speed is about 45-50 mph and thats fast on the water. If your more into fishing and want to go out to deep water have a look at the Raider and warrior boats.
Best of luck.
Advertisement
20-06-2012, 14:13   #6
tricky D
NSAbot

Moved from Maritime
Thanks from:
19-11-2012, 20:47   #7
Grannie Annie

Hi. We're thinking of purchasing a Sealine 305 Statesman s/h. Does anyone know how this model handles in sea conditions as well as rivers etc. Any help or info appreciated.
Tnks GrannieAnnie

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion