Overrated Albums? - Page 12 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-09-2011, 00:55   #166
nikkisixx69

in metal music , i think judas priest are highly over-rated , they have a few good songs , but i bought the essential judas priest album and out of like 40 songs i only liked 3 or 4 , and i did give it a few listens (i always give albums a few listens just in case they are a "grower" )
Advertisement
16-10-2011, 03:50   #167
Led Zeppelin The Clash

The Who nuff said.
Thanks from:
16-10-2011, 03:53   #168
Led Zeppelin The Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teclo View Post
Led Zeppelin IV. Listening to it now. Thankfully I downloading it without paying.
How dare you.
Everything off that is a masterpiece may the lord god have mercy on you.

Also Eminem is the definition of Overrated and the cranberries alongside the beatles.

And maybe throw in The Eagles and any band that isn't The Clash or Led Zeppelin(lol just jk)

Lot of hate for u2 nowadays I personally love them
16-11-2011, 18:07   #169
Nephilim Wolf

Slayer - Reign in Blood - I just couldn't get into it, as there are no memorable riffs and the solos are also very forgettable.

Rush
- Snakes And Arrows - I didn't think it was that great, especially when compared to albums like Counterparts, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures etc.

Led Zeppelin
- IV - A couple of class songs like When The Levee Breaks, Black Dog, Rock N' Roll andStairway To Heaven. I wasn't mad about the other slower songs though.

AC/DC
- Black Ice - I didn't think much of it.

Iron Maiden
- The Final Frontier - Definitely the worst Iron Maiden album ever. No real memorable songs or any sence of urgency like on the old albums. Brave New World is far better.

Dimmu Borgir
- In Sorte Diaboli - Very dissapointing and somewhat uninspired album. There are a couple of great songs though.

Pink Floyd
- Dark Side of The Moon - I couldn't get into it. Meddle and Animals are much better.

Metallica - Master of Puppets - There are some truly class songs like 'Battery,Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah and of course Orion' which is an incredible closing track, and a fantastic instrumental. But songs like 'The Thing That Should Not Be and Damage, Inc which are boring compared to the other songs.
Thanks from:
26-11-2011, 22:30   #170
Ava-Adore

Anything belonging to any of the following:

U2

Chills

Metallica

Nirvana..
Advertisement
27-11-2011, 01:20   #171
Miguel_Sanchez

Mod: Music
If people insist on just listing bands as opposed to albums or albums without any reasons whatsoever then I'm going to lock this as a pointless list thead.

Last edited by Miguel_Sanchez; 25-04-2012 at 11:26.
28-11-2011, 17:54   #172
Suas11

The Wall - Pink Floyd
Too long and mostly boring. It has a few great songs though like Mother and Comfortably Numb

Thriller - Michael Jackson
The first half is great but the second half is just average as far as I'm concerned.

Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin
Basically the same reasons as I gave for Thriller

The Joshua Tree - U2
I'm not a big U2 fan and this isn't even my favourite album of theirs. I think War and Achtung Baby are a lot better. Bullet The Blue Sky is a very good track though.

A Night At The Opera - Queen
Queen, in general, are really overrated but I picked this album since it's considered to be their best (although I prefer Sheer Heart Attack). There are a few good tracks but I find most of it to be boring.

Last edited by Suas11; 28-11-2011 at 18:04. Reason: To give reasons for my answer
02-01-2012, 18:43   #173
inthefade

This coming from an avid Them Crooked Vultures fan, I just find their debut not as mindblowingly amazing as everyone says. It's just a good album. Unpopular opinion? Hmmm.... Hopefully we'll be getting another output from them in 2012 anyways.
Thanks from:
03-01-2012, 20:05   #174
tommy2bad

12 pages and no mention of Steely Dan! THATS how good they were
Not getting The Beatles hate or Dylan or U2 for that matter, is it their rep that causes people to dislike on principal without listening?

I never found an album over rated cos I never expect much. Sometimes I find the damn album is exactly what I expected, now thats disappointing.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2012, 15:50   #175
Sugarlumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthefade View Post
This coming from an avid Them Crooked Vultures fan, I just find their debut not as mindblowingly amazing as everyone says. It's just a good album. Unpopular opinion? Hmmm.... Hopefully we'll be getting another output from them in 2012 anyways.
It's a decent album, what kills if for me is several songs are way too long and over exaggerated. It's a wankfest at times, savage live though.
17-01-2012, 23:10   #176
ugsparky

Bowie's worst

... has to be Never Let Me Down ... you did David, big time ... Buddha of Suburbia is probably the most under rated ... brilliant album ... I'm a devout Bowie fan, I honestly think there are several albums that are totally unflawed without a weak track on them ... some contain some class tracks with some duff tracks ... all music is subjective ... depends on your moods, imagination, life experiences etc ...
Thanks from:
29-01-2012, 01:40   #177
cloptrop
Banned

I have every who album, they have some great singles and are one of my favourite bands, but their albums are mostly filler.Except the greatest hits ones and live at leeds.
White stripes albums are most filler too.Great singles though.
Any rap /pop /hip hop album does be nearly all filler. This is such a growing trend of filler these days that albums dont really happen anymore just singles getting downloaded.
People bad mouthing the republic of loose, apart from ther last album all other ones were great.
Sgt peppar is a greAT album but is a bit overrated.
Coldplay are mundane . Really . I could almost write their next album before they did for them.
Either stone roses album. Although their greatest hits was half an album of decent songs,<The first half>
Thats all i can think of for now.
25-04-2012, 10:46   #178
skinny malinky

Off the top of my head...

Fleet Foxes' debut. Nice and relaxing, but not much else.

Also, The Velvet Underground's banana album. Such pretentious nonsense, the last 'track' is literally irritating noise.

Lift Your Skinny Fists by Godspeed You Black Emperor. Background music at best.

Oh and... wait for it... Sgt. Peppers by The Beatles. First half - great. Second half - utter crap (bar A Day In The Life).
27-04-2012, 18:24   #179
SilverScreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny malinky View Post
Fleet Foxes' debut. Nice and relaxing, but not much else.

Also, The Velvet Underground's banana album. Such pretentious nonsense, the last 'track' is literally irritating noise.

Lift Your Skinny Fists by Godspeed You Black Emperor. Background music at best.

Oh and... wait for it... Sgt. Peppers by The Beatles. First half - great. Second half - utter crap (bar A Day In The Life).
Yeah I'm kind of sick of Fleet Foxes now. I enjoyed their debut at the time but their last album exposed them as a bunch of city guys trying too hard to be folk. I wasn't buying it.

The Velvet Underground & Nico is an amazing album that inspired so many people to start bands. It deserves the credit it gets. By the way when someone describes music as pretentious or a load of noise it really does make them look a bit silly. Music can be art, just like a painting, and people need to realise that more.

Lift Yr Skinny Fists is good enough but very difficult to stomach in one sitting. I much prefer F#A#oo, it's much easier to focus on and the whole end of the world feel that it invokes is pretty amazing.

Sgt. Peppers certainly isn't my favourite Beatles album I can tell you that. Revolver stomps all over it.
27-04-2012, 18:50   #180
skinny malinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1986 View Post
Yeah I'm kind of sick of Fleet Foxes now. I enjoyed their debut at the time but their last album exposed them as a bunch of city guys trying too hard to be folk. I wasn't buying it.

The Velvet Underground & Nico is an amazing album that inspired so many people to start bands. It deserves the credit it gets. By the way when someone describes music as pretentious or a load of noise it really does make them look a bit silly. Music can be art, just like a painting, and people need to realise that more.

Lift Yr Skinny Fists is good enough but very difficult to stomach in one sitting. I much prefer F#A#oo, it's much easier to focus on and the whole end of the world feel that it invokes is pretty amazing.

Sgt. Peppers certainly isn't my favourite Beatles album I can tell you that. Revolver stomps all over it.
I must clarify that I don't dislike Fleet Foxes (only have the first one though), it's just that it wasn't as good as everyone was saying.

My brother's in a band, and that VU album is in his top 5 ever, but I've never been able to get into it. I've probably listened to it 25 times over ten years and Femme Fatale is the only track that I'd go back to. Different strokes I guess... oh and I'm a theatre actor and therefore hate the liberal use of 'pretentious' nowadays, but imho it fits here. Just my opinion though. I certainly regard music as art. I do like plenty of albums that others may regard as "arty farty." What's your opinion on European Son?

Not sure if I'll go back to Godspeed, but if I do I'll take your advice.

Agree on Revolver.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion