Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-04-2012, 23:14   #1891
partyatmygaff

To those who got 2.1s, 1.1s in BY1101...

How long and how detailed were your essays? Say if you were writing an essay on the "Experiments that helped define the chemical nature of the gene" did you you give the years of the experiments and all the names of the scientists involved or did you just describe the experiments and their significance and leave it at that?
Advertisement
26-04-2012, 23:55   #1892
Interferon Gamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyatmygaff View Post
To those who got 2.1s, 1.1s in BY1101...

How long and how detailed were your essays? Say if you were writing an essay on the "Experiments that helped define the chemical nature of the gene" did you you give the years of the experiments and all the names of the scientists involved or did you just describe the experiments and their significance and leave it at that?
Ah I remember doing that question! Years no, have decades maybe. Names yes.
26-04-2012, 23:59   #1893
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interferon Gamma View Post
Ah I remember doing that question! Years no, have decades maybe. Names yes.
How about essay length? I know quality over quantity but as a guideline, how long would you say an essay should be?
27-04-2012, 00:26   #1894
Interferon Gamma

Quote:
How about essay length? I know quality over quantity but as a guideline, how long would you say an essay should be?
We were told something in the region of 3-4 pages with at least one diagram. Depends on writing and quality though. Waffling will cost you.
27-04-2012, 00:28   #1895
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interferon Gamma View Post
We were told something in the region of 3-4 pages with at least one diagram. Depends on writing and quality though. Waffling will cost you.
Fair enough. Thanks.
Advertisement
02-05-2012, 11:29   #1896
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Fair enough. Thanks.
Lovely essays yesterday. Chemistry of life had Ecosystems to Molecules and Microbio had a question on Herpes structure/replication.

I ended up writing eight pages for O'Neill with a few diagrams of cells and organelles, membrane transporters, a diagram of F0F1 ATP Synthase and a pyramid to show the hierarchy of levels of study. Had to stop myself at that point as I was running out of time.

Four pages on herpes structure and replication too.
02-05-2012, 12:06   #1897
Lawliet

I hope Foster asks us Herpes, I'm not sure I'm up to answering a question on influenza or bacteriaphages
03-05-2012, 22:08   #1898
wut

Anyone hoping to do Micro next year?
09-05-2012, 11:11   #1899
Lawliet

I genuinely don't understand how they set questions for the metabolism paper. The lecturer who does the majority of the course gets one question on a topic there wasn't much emphasis on, whereas the one who only did three lectures got the majority of the questions?
I know I shot myself in the foot for question spotting, but I still think there's something wrong with an exam where you can learn so much of the course but can't answer two full question. I might as well have done nothing for the past month.
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 15:58   #1900
true-or-false

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
I genuinely don't understand how they set questions for the metabolism paper. The lecturer who does the majority of the course gets one question on a topic there wasn't much emphasis on, whereas the one who only did three lectures got the majority of the questions?
I know I shot myself in the foot for question spotting, but I still think there's something wrong with an exam where you can learn so much of the course but can't answer two full question. I might as well have done nothing for the past month.
Yeah last year they made a big hoo-hah about one bit of the course (I think it was glycolysis) and then it didn't come up at all.

I definitely learnt my lesson for third year, better to know enough to vaguely talk about everything rather than be able to go into detail on a limited amount of subjects.
09-05-2012, 16:49   #1901
Lawliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by true-or-false View Post
Yeah last year they made a big hoo-hah about one bit of the course (I think it was glycolysis) and then it didn't come up at all.
They did the exact same this year; we had a pre-exam tutorial were a certain lecturer when on about glycolysis, and said a bit about glucneogensis,and the TCA cycle. But there wasn't a hint of carbohydrate question on that paper. Should have studied lipids, loads of questions on that...
09-05-2012, 17:07   #1902
Buttonftw

I was going to do Q5 since it pretty much came up the same the last two years but thought it'd be better to just focus on Carbs. ****.
09-05-2012, 17:42   #1903
planck

Any hints/tips/advice on what to do for tomorrow's first year physics paper 2?
09-05-2012, 17:54   #1904
planck

Also, is it just me or is the following page down?

https://www.tcd.ie/Physics/People/We...tes/index.html

If anyone's got those notes saved and could send them to me I'd be very appreciative.
09-05-2012, 18:07   #1905
stealinhorses

His notes are here: http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/Molecular_...cturenotes.php

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion