turbo in diesel car - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-04-2012, 20:40   #1
A4volvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
turbo in diesel car

The turbo is starting to go in my 1.9tdi passat, would it be better to replace it now before it goes or would it be ok to drive it until completly gone. Will it have a knock on effect down the system if it goes e.g. filings going through it.
A4volvo is offline  
Advertisement
03-04-2012, 20:47   #2
chiefwiggum
Registered User
 
chiefwiggum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: wicklow
Posts: 1,364
yes ..if you know its on the way out get it replaced asap
chiefwiggum is offline  
03-04-2012, 21:38   #3
bcmf
Registered User
 
bcmf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a honeydripping beehive
Posts: 6,205
^^^^^
+1
If it goes it could easily suck up all the oil from the sump and bang goes your engine.
bcmf is offline  
04-04-2012, 09:14   #4
Nissan doctor
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4volvo View Post
The turbo is starting to go in my 1.9tdi passat, would it be better to replace it now before it goes or would it be ok to drive it until completly gone. Will it have a knock on effect down the system if it goes e.g. filings going through it.

In what way is it going?
Nissan doctor is offline  
(2) thanks from:
04-04-2012, 11:13   #5
trixyben
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 412
few months back thought the turbo was "going" on my own car only to be advised that they dont shown signs of "going" but just fail altogether...there was a bit of a squealing noise which is why I thought it was going but ended up the power steering pump making the noise...bought stuff in motor factors cant remember name of it which is for squealing power steering pumps, remove some steering fluid replace with new stuff and low and behld squealing noise gone...whatever the new fluid done im sure is just masking the real problem and a new pump will be needed eventually but hey quick cheap fix and that annoying noise is gone
trixyben is offline  
Advertisement
04-04-2012, 11:45   #6
paddydriver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the computer again..
Posts: 1,466
Had our smax back in this week because there is a clear whistle/whirr coming from engine on acceleration and then de-acceleration - not really audible at higher rev's.

Mechanic was adamant that not indication of issue with turbo and he more or less confirmed it was the turbo but that you will hear it on spin up and spin down. Talked to friend with smax and no noise with his... so not sure.

Been with ford dealer twice now for same issue so if it blows up and destroys my engine then I will be arguing strongly that they cover any major costs as they were given ample chance to diagnose it. FWIW the thing that concerned me was occasional "Engine Malfunction" warning coming on but they giving me the oul story about diesel's not good on short hops back and forth and this causing build ups of dirt etc which is causing errors.

TBH I just feel at their mercy and they are telling me same stories I tell customers when we are talking computers.. "we checked everything, no sign of problems, upgraded the OS (ECU)

Did plenty of googling on it and all sorts of stories on this kind of thing and plenty of "whistles" from ford's but no issue.

Confused... taking family to UK next week in it so got my AA cover in place!
paddydriver is offline  
04-04-2012, 13:38   #7
gerrycollins
Registered User
 
gerrycollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Tipperary
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddydriver View Post
Had our smax back in this week because there is a clear whistle/whirr coming from engine on acceleration and then de-acceleration - not really audible at higher rev's.

Mechanic was adamant that not indication of issue with turbo and he more or less confirmed it was the turbo but that you will hear it on spin up and spin down. Talked to friend with smax and no noise with his... so not sure.

Been with ford dealer twice now for same issue so if it blows up and destroys my engine then I will be arguing strongly that they cover any major costs as they were given ample chance to diagnose it. FWIW the thing that concerned me was occasional "Engine Malfunction" warning coming on but they giving me the oul story about diesel's not good on short hops back and forth and this causing build ups of dirt etc which is causing errors.

TBH I just feel at their mercy and they are telling me same stories I tell customers when we are talking computers.. "we checked everything, no sign of problems, upgraded the OS (ECU)

Did plenty of googling on it and all sorts of stories on this kind of thing and plenty of "whistles" from ford's but no issue.

Confused... taking family to UK next week in it so got my AA cover in place!
sound similar to me and all that was wrong was a crack in an air pipe. Are you still getting the kick from the turbo or is it less than usual or not happeneing at all.
gerrycollins is offline  
04-04-2012, 16:22   #8
paddydriver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the computer again..
Posts: 1,466
Hi Gerry, plenty of kick and no issues there - though realised on Sunday that it actually goes into limp mode when message comes on; didn't realise this before as were only on local spins at the time.

On Sunday though dropped it to 4th and was overtaking at around 110kmh on M11 when it came on. Car dropped off power altogether couldn't take it higher than 2k revs and fastest could go was 80Km - pulled in, turned it off, restarted and all fine.

I am not confident they have resolved it and will be interested to see. I had said to him about an air leak somewhere but like talking to the wall.

Is your's an smax or another ford?

Thanks
paddydriver is offline  
04-04-2012, 16:51   #9
fasttalkerchat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,580
If you're sure its the turbo get it replaced sooner rather than later.
fasttalkerchat is offline  
Advertisement
04-04-2012, 17:10   #10
taintabird
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 346
Turbo's don't give much warning as a rule they generally just pack up, what exactly leads you to believe its on the way out
taintabird is offline  
04-04-2012, 17:13   #11
fasttalkerchat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by taintabird View Post
Turbo's don't give much warning as a rule they generally just pack up, what exactly leads you to believe its on the way out
If it goes due to age you can hear that it is worn. But this would be after 150k miles.
fasttalkerchat is offline  
04-04-2012, 20:00   #12
bcmf
Registered User
 
bcmf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a honeydripping beehive
Posts: 6,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddydriver View Post
Had our smax back in this week because there is a clear whistle/whirr coming from engine on acceleration and then de-acceleration - not really audible at higher rev's.

Mechanic was adamant that not indication of issue with turbo and he more or less confirmed it was the turbo but that you will hear it on spin up and spin down. Talked to friend with smax and no noise with his... so not sure.

Been with ford dealer twice now for same issue so if it blows up and destroys my engine then I will be arguing strongly that they cover any major costs as they were given ample chance to diagnose it. FWIW the thing that concerned me was occasional "Engine Malfunction" warning coming on but they giving me the oul story about diesel's not good on short hops back and forth and this causing build ups of dirt etc which is causing errors.

TBH I just feel at their mercy and they are telling me same stories I tell customers when we are talking computers.. "we checked everything, no sign of problems, upgraded the OS (ECU)

Did plenty of googling on it and all sorts of stories on this kind of thing and plenty of "whistles" from ford's but no issue.

Confused... taking family to UK next week in it so got my AA cover in place!
Had this problem on a Mondeo a few years back. Turns out it was just the pipe on the intercooler had come ever so slightly loose causing it to 'whistle'.
bcmf is offline  
13-04-2012, 21:55   #13
A4volvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan doctor View Post
In what way is it going?
Its very smokey when started and the man i bought it from said he was told the turbo is going.
A4volvo is offline  
13-04-2012, 22:24   #14
fasttalkerchat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4volvo View Post
Its very smokey when started and the man i bought it from said he was told the turbo is going.
Ah well thats a different story. I wouldn't take it for granted that its the turbo! What colour smoke do you get?
fasttalkerchat is offline  
26-04-2012, 09:23   #15
taintabird
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4volvo View Post
Its very smokey when started and the man i bought it from said he was told the turbo is going.
Over full of oil most likely VW's don't handle being over filled very well they generally blow the excess oil into the intake system
taintabird is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet