turbo in diesel car - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-04-2012, 20:40   #1
A4volvo

turbo in diesel car

The turbo is starting to go in my 1.9tdi passat, would it be better to replace it now before it goes or would it be ok to drive it until completly gone. Will it have a knock on effect down the system if it goes e.g. filings going through it.
Advertisement
03-04-2012, 20:47   #2
chiefwiggum

yes ..if you know its on the way out get it replaced asap
03-04-2012, 21:38   #3
bcmf

^^^^^
+1
If it goes it could easily suck up all the oil from the sump and bang goes your engine.
04-04-2012, 09:14   #4
Nissan doctor
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4volvo View Post
The turbo is starting to go in my 1.9tdi passat, would it be better to replace it now before it goes or would it be ok to drive it until completly gone. Will it have a knock on effect down the system if it goes e.g. filings going through it.

In what way is it going?
(2) thanks from:
04-04-2012, 11:13   #5
trixyben

few months back thought the turbo was "going" on my own car only to be advised that they dont shown signs of "going" but just fail altogether...there was a bit of a squealing noise which is why I thought it was going but ended up the power steering pump making the noise...bought stuff in motor factors cant remember name of it which is for squealing power steering pumps, remove some steering fluid replace with new stuff and low and behld squealing noise gone...whatever the new fluid done im sure is just masking the real problem and a new pump will be needed eventually but hey quick cheap fix and that annoying noise is gone
Advertisement
04-04-2012, 11:45   #6
paddydriver

Had our smax back in this week because there is a clear whistle/whirr coming from engine on acceleration and then de-acceleration - not really audible at higher rev's.

Mechanic was adamant that not indication of issue with turbo and he more or less confirmed it was the turbo but that you will hear it on spin up and spin down. Talked to friend with smax and no noise with his... so not sure.

Been with ford dealer twice now for same issue so if it blows up and destroys my engine then I will be arguing strongly that they cover any major costs as they were given ample chance to diagnose it. FWIW the thing that concerned me was occasional "Engine Malfunction" warning coming on but they giving me the oul story about diesel's not good on short hops back and forth and this causing build ups of dirt etc which is causing errors.

TBH I just feel at their mercy and they are telling me same stories I tell customers when we are talking computers.. "we checked everything, no sign of problems, upgraded the OS (ECU)

Did plenty of googling on it and all sorts of stories on this kind of thing and plenty of "whistles" from ford's but no issue.

Confused... taking family to UK next week in it so got my AA cover in place!
04-04-2012, 13:38   #7
gerrycollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddydriver View Post
Had our smax back in this week because there is a clear whistle/whirr coming from engine on acceleration and then de-acceleration - not really audible at higher rev's.

Mechanic was adamant that not indication of issue with turbo and he more or less confirmed it was the turbo but that you will hear it on spin up and spin down. Talked to friend with smax and no noise with his... so not sure.

Been with ford dealer twice now for same issue so if it blows up and destroys my engine then I will be arguing strongly that they cover any major costs as they were given ample chance to diagnose it. FWIW the thing that concerned me was occasional "Engine Malfunction" warning coming on but they giving me the oul story about diesel's not good on short hops back and forth and this causing build ups of dirt etc which is causing errors.

TBH I just feel at their mercy and they are telling me same stories I tell customers when we are talking computers.. "we checked everything, no sign of problems, upgraded the OS (ECU)

Did plenty of googling on it and all sorts of stories on this kind of thing and plenty of "whistles" from ford's but no issue.

sound similar to me and all that was wrong was a crack in an air pipe. Are you still getting the kick from the turbo or is it less than usual or not happeneing at all.
04-04-2012, 16:22   #8
paddydriver

Hi Gerry, plenty of kick and no issues there - though realised on Sunday that it actually goes into limp mode when message comes on; didn't realise this before as were only on local spins at the time.

On Sunday though dropped it to 4th and was overtaking at around 110kmh on M11 when it came on. Car dropped off power altogether couldn't take it higher than 2k revs and fastest could go was 80Km - pulled in, turned it off, restarted and all fine.

I am not confident they have resolved it and will be interested to see. I had said to him about an air leak somewhere but like talking to the wall.

Is your's an smax or another ford?

Thanks
04-04-2012, 16:51   #9
fasttalkerchat

If you're sure its the turbo get it replaced sooner rather than later.
Advertisement
04-04-2012, 17:10   #10
taintabird

Turbo's don't give much warning as a rule they generally just pack up, what exactly leads you to believe its on the way out
04-04-2012, 17:13   #11
fasttalkerchat

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintabird View Post
Turbo's don't give much warning as a rule they generally just pack up, what exactly leads you to believe its on the way out
If it goes due to age you can hear that it is worn. But this would be after 150k miles.
04-04-2012, 20:00   #12
bcmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddydriver View Post

Had this problem on a Mondeo a few years back. Turns out it was just the pipe on the intercooler had come ever so slightly loose causing it to 'whistle'.
13-04-2012, 21:55   #13
A4volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan doctor View Post
In what way is it going?
Its very smokey when started and the man i bought it from said he was told the turbo is going.
13-04-2012, 22:24   #14
fasttalkerchat

Quote:
Its very smokey when started and the man i bought it from said he was told the turbo is going.
Ah well thats a different story. I wouldn't take it for granted that its the turbo! What colour smoke do you get?
26-04-2012, 09:23   #15
taintabird

Quote:
Over full of oil most likely VW's don't handle being over filled very well they generally blow the excess oil into the intake system

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion