Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-04-2012, 22:24   #91
EyeSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcko View Post
Scabs are scabs no matter how you look at it.
wow.....
so just because a large group of people have one opinion, everyone else has to follow them regardless of their own opinions? this is a society where everyone can make up their own mind. from companies i have been at(in a different industry to musgraves) most of the employees would do as much as they could to keep the company growing and profitable, because it benefits them too.
we don't know the full details but to me it seems that some workers who have been there for years and used to a certain way of doing things don't want it to change. but all companies evolve in order to increase efficiency and profits(which in some way benefits the staff). you have to evolve with the times, especially in business. would you rather the company lost money and had to let people go?
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 00:15   #92
Daith

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSight View Post
wow.....

we don't know the full details but to me it seems that some workers who have been there for years and used to a certain way of doing things don't want it to change. but all companies evolve in order to increase efficiency and profits(which in some way benefits the staff). you have to evolve with the times, especially in business. would you rather the company lost money and had to let people go?
This is what it seems to be too. Tbh the voice picking system wouldn't be for me. It's boring. You are told when to go, what to to pick with little let up. However the accuracy of the picks are more efficient because you can't really pick the wrong goods.

That's if the strike is about voice picking. If its about wages, well I dont think the majority of salaried workers there got a single pay raise for years. I dont see why they would have sympathy for the pickers.
25-04-2012, 00:50   #93
mcko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSight View Post
wow.....

This is what it seems to be too. Tbh the voice picking system wouldn't be for me. It's boring. You are told when to go, what to to pick with little let up. However the accuracy of the picks are more efficient because you can't really pick the wrong goods.

That's if the strike is about voice picking. If its about wages, well I dont think the majority of salaried workers there got a single pay raise for years. I dont see why they would have sympathy for the pickers.

Passing a picket is bad enough but to do the strikers jobs is disgusting.
I wouldn't like to be working there in the future, I can just imagine the atmosphere.
25-04-2012, 09:18   #94
Padraig Mor

Quote:
Passing a picket is bad enough but to do the strikers jobs is disgusting.
I wouldn't like to be working there in the future, I can just imagine the atmosphere.
What if they think the strikers are a bunch of overpaid ingrates and completely disagree with the strike? Anyway, judging by the dwindling numbers on the picket line (I pass daily), the strike is losing steam...
25-04-2012, 09:38   #95
Show Time

Can they just sack the workers still out on strike?
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 10:41   #96
MrThrifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig Mor View Post
What if they think the strikers are a bunch of overpaid ingrates and completely disagree with the strike? Anyway, judging by the dwindling numbers on the picket line (I pass daily), the strike is losing steam...
Here, here... the bad weather today puts a smile on me!

Rather than strangely venting frustration at the non-striking workers for crossing a silly picket, these posters should instead consider venting it at the union who no doubt created this storm in a teacup.

I have been shocked by some of the stories I have heard in the past involving unions defending the indefensible - like staff being dismissed for stealing when caught red-handed etc. They're becoming an absolute joke in this country, along with a lot of other things I guess...
Thanks from:
25-04-2012, 13:53   #97
Oafley Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrThrifty View Post

Rather than strangely venting frustration at the non-striking workers for crossing a silly picket, these posters should instead consider venting it at the union who no doubt created this storm in a teacup.

I have been shocked by some of the stories I have heard in the past involving unions defending the indefensible - like staff being dismissed for stealing when caught red-handed etc. They're becoming an absolute joke in this country, along with a lot of other things I guess...
Weren't they advised not to strike by the union reps and shop stewards.
25-04-2012, 18:38   #98
mcko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
Quote:

The Celtic tiger has a lot to answer for in creating a generation of selfish brats who look down on men and women looking after pay and conditions.
No worker wants to strike you don't get paid on strike.
Just because they earn a decent wage does not mean they have to bend over backwards for the company.
I feel sorry for society when people are glad it rains on strikers.
Read your history workers rights had to be bought with blood in this country.
Shame on you
Thanks from:
25-04-2012, 18:44   #99
rebelchick2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
Quote:

The Celtic tiger has a lot to answer for in creating a generation of selfish brats who look down on men and women looking after pay and conditions.
No worker wants to strike you don't get paid on strike.
Just because they earn a decent wage does not mean they have to bend over backwards for the company.
I feel sorry for society when people are glad it rains on strikers.
Read your history workers rights had to be bought with blood in this country.
Shame on you

Scabs/Selfish Brats etc, so the 900 other people in Musgraves are all these things and the 90 people outside the Gates are brilliant. I think you are one very deluded person. If anyone is selfish, I think it is the people that are putting all the musgrave employees jobs in jeopardy, the greedy people who have a decent wage and are camped outside in the rain!
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 22:05   #100
deano30

i am workin in cork ambient 4 10 years now.we had the same problem with the company and very nearly went on strike 2.the guys in the chill are being treated like nobodys.there is a lot more 2 this strike than people think.the company hired agency workers and are paying them half of what they are paying the strikers who helped this company through out the years to make it where it is today and the management,all they can say is leave them rot out there,were getting the work done at a far cheaper price.if we as unions and people dont stand up to these bullies god help the next generation of workers.to the strikers,well done lads,stand up 4what you belive in and to the readers,this strike is not about money,voice picking or hours its about a lot of other issues 2 that im not so sure about myself.
25-04-2012, 22:19   #101
rebelchick2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano30 View Post
i am workin in cork ambient 4 10 years now.we had the same problem with the company and very nearly went on strike 2.the guys in the chill are being treated like nobodys.there is a lot more 2 this strike than people think.the company hired agency workers and are paying them half of what they are paying the strikers who helped this company through out the years to make it where it is today and the management,all they can say is leave them rot out there,were getting the work done at a far cheaper price.if we as unions and people dont stand up to these bullies god help the next generation of workers.to the strikers,well done lads,stand up 4what you belive in and to the readers,this strike is not about money,voice picking or hours its about a lot of other issues 2 that im not so sure about myself.
Question- If ambient workers support this strike, how come you aren't outside the gate with the chill workers? Don't know how these strikes work but presume you are passing pickets every day?
25-04-2012, 22:39   #102
Michael Weston

Quote:
Originally Posted by clappyhappy View Post
I know of another major food distribution company that has brought in the voice recognition for the warehouse and no salary increase was given and the workers are just getting on with their jobs. I think that in this day and age they should be greatful of a well paying secure job and technology that makes it easier.
Fair play to the boys and girls in BWG
25-04-2012, 23:02   #103
mcko

I must agree how can you guys pass an official picket
25-04-2012, 23:10   #104
valmascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglasman80 View Post
This is absolutely incredible. I work in musgrave tramore road in the offices have a 4 year degree from ucc and am working with the company since 2004 and I am earning 6000 less than the average wage from
The chill warehouse .the last pay increase I got from the company was four years ago and as part of my job since I started I have changed my work through technogical for no extra money. The chill workers should b ashamed of themselves. There are plenty friends of mine who are unemployed who would do the job for half the price. 46000 a year is well paid. Its nearly enough about them when the musgrave union drivers won't back them.
The reason the company pays you less is because they can,grow a pair of balls join a union and fight for better pay.Otherwise shut up.You may have a Degree but you know nothing about how the world works .
It was the labor movement that helped secure so much of what we take for granted today. The 40-hour work week, the minimum wage, family leave, health insurance, Social Security, Medicare, retirement plans. The cornerstones of the middle-class security all bear the union label.Barack Obama
25-04-2012, 23:22   #105
Fishrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by valmascal View Post
The reason the company pays you less is because they can,grow a pair of balls join a union and fight for better pay.Otherwise shut up.You may have a Degree but you know nothing about how the world works .
It was the labor movement that helped secure so much of what we take for granted today. The 40-hour work week, the minimum wage, family leave, health insurance, Social Security, Medicare, retirement plans. The cornerstones of the middle-class security all bear the union label.Barack Obama
Wouldnt be holding up the US as a model of social equity! Lol. Last time i was there watched men eat food from a bin in a park. Literally. As for medicare....well it makes the HSE look as effective as the Tokyo underground

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion