Tefl in South Korea - Page 193 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-04-2012, 13:44   #2881
babyfratelli_x

Found a form online from the head office in Dublin. Costs 50 euro
Thanks for the info though
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 13:50   #2882
inverted_world

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfratelli_x View Post
I know this might be a stupid question, but my degree is from NUIG and its all in latin. I have a copy of it and Im going to get it notarized soon. But Im just wondering will that be ok? Will they need an English copy? Im pretty sure you can get these from some office in Dublin? Or will a copy of the original be ok?? Why is this process so confusing??
I didn't get mine translated and there were no problems.
18-04-2012, 14:08   #2883
babyfratelli_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted_world View Post
I didn't get mine translated and there were no problems.
Aw really? Was yours from an NUI aswell? I wonder does it make a difference depending on the school, or is it simply for visa purposes?
18-04-2012, 16:00   #2884
Andy!!
Banned

Think I'm gonna risk it with just the final years results. They were the only ones that mattered towards my degree anyway (did a B.A. in Animation, kinda works a bit different than a more academic course). Also I think my garda check is back, and I'm going to arrange my references now. What is the difference between getting my degree and birth cert notarized and getting it apostilled? The application process for this is a little to get my head around, but this is definitely the part that has me most confuzzled How is apostilled pronounced? Silent or sounded 'T'?
18-04-2012, 16:27   #2885
inverted_world

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfratelli_x View Post
Aw really? Was yours from an NUI aswell? I wonder does it make a difference depending on the school, or is it simply for visa purposes?
Yeah, it's from UCD. I was never asked for a translation from any of the recruiters I dealt with, and my school is a public school.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-04-2012, 04:14   #2886
squeakyduck

Send a message via AIM to squeakyduck Send a message via MSN to squeakyduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted_world View Post
Yeah, it's from UCD. I was never asked for a translation from any of the recruiters I dealt with, and my school is a public school.

Mine were from UCD too. I never translated either of mine and it was ok. I got my transcripts back from the school after I got here. They weren't opened or anything.
Thanks from:
19-04-2012, 04:49   #2887
guitarzero

Hey

I'm gonna be starting an online TEFL course soon and have been giving S Korea some consideration. Thing is, I dont know much about the place.

Having been reading through the last few pages it seems that theres more focus being given to those who have made up their mind and things on travel, garda clearance etc etc.

I'm quite curious as to what life is like in the big cities for Irish folk. Things like the language barrier, social life, meeting other english speakers, prices etc etc.

If anyone wants to give me a little run down that would be much appreciated.
19-04-2012, 05:15   #2888
Ads by Google

If you're feeling really cautious, you could travel a bit first.. Get to Bangkok, do a few weeks around the country and see if you like being surrounded by asian people who don't speak English. If ya like it, teach in thailand of somethin for a few months and then think about korea.
Thanks from:
19-04-2012, 13:18   #2889
cloneslad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy!! View Post
Think I'm gonna risk it with just the final years results. They were the only ones that mattered towards my degree anyway (did a B.A. in Animation, kinda works a bit different than a more academic course). Also I think my garda check is back, and I'm going to arrange my references now. What is the difference between getting my degree and birth cert notarized and getting it apostilled? The application process for this is a little to get my head around, but this is definitely the part that has me most confuzzled How is apostilled pronounced? Silent or sounded 'T'?
Get it notarised by a commissioner of oaths and get it apostilled by the department of foreign affairs.

The background check is notarised by the superintendent of the Garda station you get it from, so this only needs to be apostilled.

The copy of your degree needs to be apostilled, then notarised.

Your birth cert??? Does that need to be done now??
Advertisement
19-04-2012, 16:18   #2890
Andy!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloneslad View Post
The copy of your degree needs to be apostilled, then notarised.
Oh man thats ridiculous! Thanks for the heads up.

I dunno, I thought I read somewhere your birth cert is required for something. Good idea to bring copies with me anyway. Garda cert came back, and as I suspected, I've not killed anyone or robbed any banks so thats good. Next on my list is references, then I will get around to getting my degree apostilled and notarised.
21-04-2012, 08:27   #2891
inverted_world

The only thing you MIGHT need your birth cert for is the police cert. One garda said I needed a copy of it, but another said I didn't as a copy of my passport was enough.
But I suppose having copies of it wouldn't be any harm.

You should clarify with your recruiter about transcripts. I needed a complete set, but I think that's only a requirement for public schools now. I suppose it's better to have everything you could possibly need to avoid a last minute scramble once you accept a job.

Just wondering; is anyone going on the GEPIK orientation next week?
27-04-2012, 13:01   #2892
bizzleodrizzle

Hey,

I'm hoping to move to Busan in August. I've been in touch with a number of recruiters, Footprints, ATC etc but all of them have dismissed my chances and almost laughed of my chances of getting a job there. Is it really that difficult for Irish teachers to find work in Busan?

Also, I was hoping to play GAA over there but it looks like Busan and Seoul are the only cities with football teams? Is this correct?

We're thinking of maybe going to Ulsan or Daegu instead. Anyone have any thoughts on these cities?
Thanks in advance!
27-04-2012, 13:21   #2893
Andy!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzleodrizzle View Post
Hey,

I'm hoping to move to Busan in August. I've been in touch with a number of recruiters, Footprints, ATC etc but all of them have dismissed my chances and almost laughed of my chances of getting a job there. Is it really that difficult for Irish teachers to find work in Busan?

Also, I was hoping to play GAA over there but it looks like Busan and Seoul are the only cities with football teams? Is this correct?

We're thinking of maybe going to Ulsan or Daegu instead. Anyone have any thoughts on these cities?
Thanks in advance!
Really? Damn I was hoping for Busan. Did you do a TEFL course?

I'm looking to use youtube to increase my knowledge on teaching/ESL teaching. Anybody know of any channels that are good for this?
27-04-2012, 14:33   #2894
R.D. aka MR.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzleodrizzle View Post
Hey,

Thanks in advance!
Busan was my first choice too when i originally decided to come over but i realised that to get a job in Busan you have to be lucky or willing to wait a while until one comes up. I didn't want to wait! I'm glad i came to Seoul though.
27-04-2012, 15:00   #2895
Andy!!
Banned

Oh damn. Best start applying for jobs now then, got most of my documents.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion