Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

18-04-2012, 13:45   #3571
ray jay

If that €5m figure is true, that means the salary cap in England is more than Munster's entire budget. So much for money holding them back!
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 13:47   #3572
irishbucsfan

England announce 2 games against SA Barbarians this summer.

Frustrating. We should he playing midweek games.
Thanks from:
18-04-2012, 13:49   #3573
totallegend
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray jay View Post
If that €5m figure is true, that means the salary cap in England is more than Munster's entire budget. So much for money holding them back!
Except the salaries of the centrally contracted guys like POC, Leamy, DOC, ROG, Earls don't come out of Munster's budget.
18-04-2012, 13:51   #3574
GerM
Closed Account

Whilst it's an interesting and well written article, I struggle to get on board with its argument. These guys are on brilliant money by a normal persons standard. That's not the superstars, that's the normal Pro12 players who, by Quinlan's admission, earn about €35k out of the academy at about 22 years of age and go on to earn €80k - €120k. A trainee accountant will earn about €20k out of college and spend 3 years on a training contract working serious hours for some perspective. Throughout this there's nothing to stop a player furthering themselves in terms of education or skills. Many players complete full degrees and postgraduate courses during their career. Some, like Tony Buckley, learn trades. A lucky few, like Quinlan, get careers in the game where he earns a third of what he was on before he retired which one would assume is around €50k to write and talk about rugby. Many do that for free. They then get a huge pay out at the end of their careers when their tax refund comes through. They're not set for life but they've a massive boost that others don't.

Can you imagine being a well paid professional who works hard for 10 years on an average of €80k and at the age of 32 getting your tax back? Harsh reality? There's nothing realistic about that for 99% of people, Quinnie.
Thanks from:
18-04-2012, 13:53   #3575
jm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallegend View Post
Except the salaries of the centrally contracted guys like POC, Leamy, DOC, ROG, Earls don't come out of Munster's budget.
Dont the rfu pay the clubs extra money that supply internationals which would equate to central contracts?
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 14:17   #3576
Podge_irl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm08 View Post
Dont the rfu pay the clubs extra money that supply internationals which would equate to central contracts?
They do but it's not even a remotely comparable figure.
18-04-2012, 14:22   #3577
justsomebloke
Beards are cool!!!

Mod: Rugby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray jay View Post
The English salary cap is £4m which is less then €5m and as already stated the centrally contracted players wages would then be paid by the IRFU and not the province
18-04-2012, 14:25   #3578
Otacon
Registered Abuser

Send a message via Skype™ to Otacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerM View Post
Whilst it's an interesting and well written article, I struggle to get on board with its argument. These guys are on brilliant money by a normal persons standard. That's not the superstars, that's the normal Pro12 players who, by Quinlan's admission, earn about €35k out of the academy at about 22 years of age and go on to earn €80k - €120k. A trainee accountant will earn about €20k out of college and spend 3 years on a training contract working serious hours for some perspective. Throughout this there's nothing to stop a player furthering themselves in terms of education or skills. Many players complete full degrees and postgraduate courses during their career. Some, like Tony Buckley, learn trades. A lucky few, like Quinlan, get careers in the game where he earns a third of what he was on before he retired which one would assume is around €50k to write and talk about rugby. Many do that for free. They then get a huge pay out at the end of their careers when their tax refund comes through. They're not set for life but they've a massive boost that others don't.

Can you imagine being a well paid professional who works hard for 10 years on an average of €80k and at the age of 32 getting your tax back? Harsh reality? There's nothing realistic about that for 99% of people, Quinnie.
How many trainee accountants need to follow strict diets, participate in gruelling physical training and basically endure a beating every few days?

Being a professional rugby player is a good life mostly. I think Quinnie is just saying 'Don't think we are like soccer players!'.

Also, from the article 'I’m not saying “Poor me” – not at all. Just trying to give you an idea of what happens.'
Thanks from:
18-04-2012, 14:26   #3579
shaungil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboozle View Post
Gerry Thornley, Liam Toland and Matt Williams for me. no complaints with Quinlan though. Used like Bob Casey's articles.
Plus one on Quinlan so far . He still has plenty to write about but then I did think Caseys at the start were far better than towards the end. I'd like to see someting along the lines of the Secret Footballer so a current player giving some honest opinion but of course anonymously.

Matt Williams stuff is awful. It's often not about rugby (his uncle dying missing a plane) this week was random quotes and a copy of Quinlans re Sevens a few weeks back. He must watch rugby in his role with Setanta I wish he'd write about that. Also he seems to credit for anything good Leinster Ulster or Scotland ever do. Rant over re MW.
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 14:29   #3580
totallegend
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm08 View Post
Yeah, but that's in addition to the salary cap for the English clubs.
18-04-2012, 15:15   #3581
cb_

Love the way he refers to Ashley Young as 'some diving little brat'!
Thanks from:
18-04-2012, 15:20   #3582
shaungil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_ View Post
Love the way he refers to Ashley Young as 'some diving little brat'!
Can anyone remind me of any player diving when he was kicked up the ar$e by Fabian Pelous

Edit well hop around and then take a knee!!!!
Thanks from:
18-04-2012, 15:27   #3583
GerM
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
How many trainee accountants need to follow strict diets, participate in gruelling physical training and basically endure a beating every few days?

Being a professional rugby player is a good life mostly. I think Quinnie is just saying 'Don't think we are like soccer players!'.

Also, from the article 'I’m not saying “Poor me” – not at all. Just trying to give you an idea of what happens.'
The diet and training aren't as gruelling as you make out. Sessions are intense, short and sharp. They're finished by 12.30pm on a lot of days. Players are not forced to adhere to certain foods and can have a few beers within reason. Nobody is beaten up every few days. The players put their bodies on the line but not every game has that intensity. Nobody was beaten up for Leinster last weekend, for example. Players lead relatively normal lives.

I'd like to think that most people realise they're nowhere near the earning level of football players. Whilst the aim of the article is to let people know that rugby players aren't set up for the rest of their days, it does seem a little out of touch with reality for the vast majority of people, throwing around serious figures as if they're the norm and it neglects to mention that they get a massive lump sum when they retire.
18-04-2012, 15:33   #3584
Teferi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerM View Post
Players are not forced to adhere to certain foods
Pretty sure their diet is fairly strictly controlled. Have seen many players comment on it. Of course there is leeway for the midweek takeaway and they can have a few beers but it's not as open as you make it out to be either.
18-04-2012, 15:40   #3585
Higher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teferi View Post
Pretty sure their diet is fairly strictly controlled. Have seen many players comment on it. Of course there is leeway for the midweek takeaway and they can have a few beers but it's not as open as you make it out to be either.
Not at all, the Leinster team can be seen daily eating in Nandos and Wagamama where they get a free meal everyday.
Thread Closed