Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-04-2012, 23:16   #661
niallo27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary man View Post
So it's not the blatent theatrics that pisses you off, it's that carroll didn't get away with it too?
I never said i wasnt pissed off with Carrol, it was a shocking dive.
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 23:18   #662
niallo27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post
I guess so, and tbh, in the heat of the game it does leave a bitter taste and I do go mad about it, in general though it's more anger at the referee for not seeing it and even then I have a much more lax attitude to it anyway now (think it was the torture that some of the Real-Barca games last season) and when I remove myself from the games bias wise it makes perfect sense why players would do it and if push came to shove I reckon in some situations I might do the same.

As far as I'm concerned if someone makes a foulworthy tackle and you are able to see it coming and adapt to both reduce the risk of injury and make it look like more of a foul there's very little reason not to either attempt to avoid the contact or at least make the most of it.
He was probaly more likely to have gotten injured from the theatrical dive he made than the actual tackle today.
15-04-2012, 23:33   #663
Trilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Alan View Post
Here you go.....

Dive. Another poor decision from the ref. poor stuff from young.

Fück off with all this I wonder is it just the Liverpool fans shîte will ye! It's poo.
Thanks from:
15-04-2012, 23:46   #664
Mikeyt086

It was a dive, the ref will use the contact to cover his arse, but Ashley Young literally dived to the ground, he would have done so contact or not. The ref made a mistake. Again. They make one in every single game.

There is no conspiracy to give Manchester United an advantage. Anyone who argues with that is looking for an argument and will not get any satisfaction from me, and I would encourage others to act in a similar fashion. To those who have an issue with fans of Manchester United defending Ashley Young's actions, are you really surprised? If the shoe was on the other foot? etc. etc. Get a grip and move on.
16-04-2012, 00:11   #665
monkey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus Maximus View Post
I mentioned nothing about dives in my post, but I did mention contact. Carroll blatantly attempted to cheat since there was no contact made whatsoever. Young may have overreacted, but there was contact and he was clipped. His reaction was uncalled for since the penalty was beyond question.

As SAF himself said....

So I also share his opinion on this.
He did and so did Young. They're both the same. They both decided they would fall to the ground in the anticipation of contact. In Carroll's case, there was none. In Young's case, he made the contact occur when he stood on the defenders foot.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-04-2012, 00:27   #666
Trilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt086 View Post
There is no conspiracy to give Manchester United an advantage.
I'm delighted we got that penalty but it was poor form from Young, like it would be of any player from any team. I'm not going to defend him one bit. I thought the ref tried to make up for it for ignoring 3 handballs, one of which would have been a penalty to United imo. He had a poor enough game today I thought.

3 points in the bag... lets move on to Everton game.
16-04-2012, 00:47   #667
Corvus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corholio View Post
Nonsense. He wasn't clipped.
Oh look the sky is blue and yet you say it is green, no surprise there I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey9 View Post
He did and so did Young. They're both the same.
The same? Surely you are not comparing Carroll's invisible foul to the clipping of Young's foot? But If so, then you should probably take it to the comedy forum.
16-04-2012, 00:50   #668
Blatter

Was at the game today, decent performance and good result. Can't ask for much more at this stage of the season.

De Gea, little to do, was fine.

Evra, fine. Did what he had to do and did well for the second goal.

Rio and Evans, solid out. Rio misplaced a few passes in the first half but nothing to worry about. Evans was fantastic yet again.

Rafael, one of our better performers. Defended well and joined in with attack well, only thing lacking was end product.

Young, dived for the pen, was a decent threat otherwise. Okay game, can do better.

Scholes, sensational first half, took the foot off the gas in the second.

Carrick, more adventurous than usual (because of Villa) and did well.

Valencia, got on the ball a lot but lacked end product. Can do better.

Rooney, scored twice but I couldn't believe how awful he was. Dreadful display from him.

Welbeck, did well. Showed some neat touches and created a couple of openings plus scored a tap in.

Cleverley, Nani and Berbatov all did well when they came on. Great to have such quality in the squad for the last 4 games.
16-04-2012, 01:05   #669
monkey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus Maximus View Post
Oh look the sky is blue and yet you say it is green, no surprise there I suppose.

The same? Surely you are not comparing Carroll's invisible foul to the clipping of Young's foot? But If so, then you should probably take it to the comedy forum.
They both anticipated contact. None arrived for Carroll, Young stood on the defenders foot and jumped up like he stood on a landmine. They both dived, they both should have booked.
Advertisement
16-04-2012, 01:10   #670
Trilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey9 View Post
They both anticipated contact. None arrived for Carroll, Young stood on the defenders foot and jumped up like he stood on a landmine. They both dived, they both should have booked.
I think the vast majority agree with you. I don't see where he was clipped but then all I'm going on is that clip posted here. I think its enough though to say it wasn't a pen. We should move on really. Its a pity nothing can be done to punish Young and others that get away with this

Rooney was our worst player today. Evans, Rio, Rafael, Carrick and Scholes were very good imo. The rest, bar Rooney to a degree, did a solid job.
16-04-2012, 02:57   #671
onemorechance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatter View Post

Rio and Evans, solid out. Rio misplaced a few passes in the first half but nothing to worry about. Evans was fantastic yet again.

Rooney, scored twice but I couldn't believe how awful he was. Dreadful display from him.
It will be interesting to see if Evans keeps his place next season when Vidic returns. The centre backs are positions which typically SAF likes to keep consistent. I think that Evans has earned his place alongside Vidic and I think his progress would be hampered if he isn't given priority over Rio next season.

As for Rooney, it would be a worry if he isn't going to be on top form for the last few games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilla View Post
I think the vast majority agree with you. I don't see where he was clipped but then all I'm going on is that clip posted here. I think its enough though to say it wasn't a pen. We should move on really. Its a pity nothing can be done to punish Young and others that get away with this

Rooney was our worst player today. Evans, Rio, Rafael, Carrick and Scholes were very good imo. The rest, bar Rooney to a degree, did a solid job.
It's hard to argue that Ashley did not try to make contact and simulated a fall. The ref gave a penalty and as you said will say that the defender had his leg out and contact was made. It was mentioned in the match thread as a joke, but would it have been possible for the ref to award the penalty but also book Ashley for exaggerating the fall? Doubt any ref would want to open that can of worms!

Rooney still deserves praise for putting away the penalty, he has been very reliable with those lately.
16-04-2012, 06:28   #672
Xavi6
PFJ4LYFE

Young's actions are nothing to do with Manchester United as such (although it'd be good if they fined him like others have done to their player), it's him as a player. He was a diver at Villa and he's a diver now, and he should be publicly slated for it in the same way that pesky foreigner Pires was.

Criticising Young for his theatrics is NOT Manchester United bashing or ABU mob mentality, it's pointing out blatant cheating by a player who would act that way no matter what shirt he was wearing.

There should be Eduardo-esque repurcussions for players who engage in that sort of bollox, whoever they play for (and yes, I include any City player in that before some smart arse goes down that road).
(3) thanks from:
16-04-2012, 07:36   #673
mada999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahat View Post

Voting contest now open for best dive!!

Carroll all day long for me but hell i'm biased!!
difference is.... Carroll got a yellow card.... Young 'won' a penalty....
16-04-2012, 08:03   #674
Dubit10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mada999 View Post
difference is.... Carroll got a yellow card.... Young 'won' a penalty....
Both cheats imo. The difference is as you said one is punished whilst with the other one the ref takes the easy option and gives the peno instead of doing the right thing. As long as these chancers continue to get away with this sort of behaviour people have a right to be angry.
16-04-2012, 09:34   #675
Will I Amnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubit10 View Post
Both cheats imo. The difference is as you said one is punished whilst with the other one the ref takes the easy option and gives the peno instead of doing the right thing. As long as these chancers continue to get away with this sort of behaviour people have a right to be angry.
He didn't take the easy option,he was conned into thinking it was a foul.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion