Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-04-2012, 20:01   #1
browning 12 bore

confrontation with farmer bout permission

well lads here is a good one for yous i got permision to shoot foxs from a local farmer and his exact words were"shoot away foxs an all" thats waht i was told so i shot one or two foxs then i nothiced nice few bunnies as well so i shot few of them as well and now yesterday evening there was a big CONFRONTATION out in the middle of the field he said i only want foxs shot not rabbits, i said sure the rabbits are going mad on your land theyve eaten away your fields and your ditches as well, and he said i dont care ive told you what i wanted shot end of storey,
the moral of the storey make sure yous ask exactly what you can and cant be shot otherwise might be a lot of shouting in the middle of the field
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 20:06   #2
Tawny Owl

You should have told him to F##k off and shoot his own Foxe's only joking I would say that was fun both you standing in the middle of a field and you getting the hand slapped ah well at least you can still keep shooting and you both did not fall out
(2) thanks from:
15-04-2012, 20:17   #3
It wasn't me!

Yeah, I'd have told him to find someone else to shoot his foxes if he got uppity, personally. I consider that a favour to farmers for the privilege of shooting things to eat off their land.
(4) thanks from:
15-04-2012, 20:26   #4
steyrman2
Banned

Had the same sort of words with a farmer a few years ago . He gave me the free run of the farm to shoot. I shot over 20 foxes in 2 months then crops were sowing i shot pigeons and rabbits all going well. Till the pheasant season came around i arrived in at 11 am got the labs out and headed into a beet field i shot 2 cocks in a short space of time when i heard shouting from the lane went back and well to put it mildly he lost the run of him self. He ask wtf i was doing shooting birds i said you gave me the run of the farm to shoot what i liked with that he said the pheasants were for a few of his friends from dublin and to leave them alone and he did not want me on his land till lambing season for foxes . I bit my lower jaw and replyed when your friends come to shoot the birds get them to shoot your foxes and rabbits and pigeons all hours of the night he stopped give out and cooled down i then told him i enjoyed doing my bit on the vermin but i do like shooting pheasants . We came up with a plan i could shoot during the week for birds and leave the weekends for his buddys it still works there has to be give and take on both sides . I still shoot his vermin and hunt pheasants on his land so it can work out
15-04-2012, 21:44   #5
djflawless

if his mates in dublin cared about the pheasants so much why didnt they bust their balls doing all the necessary rounds??they should have been grateful you were on the scene to save them the future problems
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 21:54   #6
TriggerPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by steyrman2 View Post
Had the same sort of words with a farmer a few years ago . He gave me the free run of the farm to shoot. I shot over 20 foxes in 2 months then crops were sowing i shot pigeons and rabbits all going well. Till the pheasant season came around i arrived in at 11 am got the labs out and headed into a beet field i shot 2 cocks in a short space of time when i heard shouting from the lane went back and well to put it mildly he lost the run of him self. He ask wtf i was doing shooting birds i said you gave me the run of the farm to shoot what i liked with that he said the pheasants were for a few of his friends from dublin and to leave them alone and he did not want me on his land till lambing season for foxes . I bit my lower jaw and replyed when your friends come to shoot the birds get them to shoot your foxes and rabbits and pigeons all hours of the night he stopped give out and cooled down i then told him i enjoyed doing my bit on the vermin but i do like shooting pheasants . We came up with a plan i could shoot during the week for birds and leave the weekends for his buddys it still works there has to be give and take on both sides . I still shoot his vermin and hunt pheasants on his land so it can work out
was in a feild shooting pigeons when an italian lad came down and ran us with FFF's say that he had give tihe farmer 500 euro to shoot pigeons .
my friend went to the farmer and was told not to be shooting them that he had made a deal with this guy .

my friend who has shot this land for 8 years reply calmly that grand but i hope he shoots it next year and the year after cause i wont b . farmer wasnt long pulling in the horns , landed with a case of elay pigeon's a week later.

it the only way to sort them .they think there doing you a favour shooting pigeons , rabbits, deers etc
16-04-2012, 00:38   #7
E. Fudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerPL View Post
it the only way to sort them .they think there doing you a favour shooting pigeons , rabbits, deers etc
So you're saying that theyre not doing us a favour by giving us permission to shoot pigeons, rabbit, deer etc??? Tune in lad in all fairness now.
Thanks from:
16-04-2012, 04:09   #8
ssl

A friend of mine who took over his family farm told me I could shoot his land. No problems until I was crossing the land with him and I shot a hare. He was not happy at all. Something to do with folkllore but he told me I was not to shoot hares on his land again. That was grand by me, just wish we had gone through the species list in the beginning
16-04-2012, 07:55   #9
Glensman

A couple of years ago a farmer stopped us shooting woodcock/snipe on his ground.
2 nights ago he lost a lamb to a fox - he needs to find someone to shoot them now...
Advertisement
16-04-2012, 09:57   #10
Vegeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Fudd View Post
So you're saying that theyre not doing us a favour by giving us permission to shoot pigeons, rabbit, deer etc??? Tune in lad in all fairness now.
I'm with E.Fudd on this one. Farmer's own the land so they are the boss.
16-04-2012, 10:53   #11
Grizzly 45

Indeed they are.However declaring what can and cant be shot first off would be a fierce help,and if you dont know as a shooter or the farmer doesnt say,ask!
Bit of commonsense on both parties part goes a long way.
(2) thanks from:
16-04-2012, 12:06   #12
browning 12 bore

well lads it seems we all have been down this same road lads jaysus it just goes to show you nearly want to sit down with the boys nowadays and see what you can and can not shoot its gone unreal,
but as mr steyrman has said it bite your bottom lip and talk to the farmer as shouting and roaring and falling out wont get you very far in our game any way
thanks again lads for all the replys
16-04-2012, 16:55   #13
robertpatterson

I got permission on pigeon shooting two years ago he brought me round his place shoot everything he said ,to which i replied what cant i shoot
turns out everything meant pigeons and foxes nothing else!
Turns out common sense aint that common
16-04-2012, 18:21   #14
Shoot2kill
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by steyrman2 View Post
If I had done that kinda vermin work for a farmer, and he then had the cheek to say to me the birds were for his friends, I would have told him to **** right off with himself.

I shoot a lot of rabbits for a local lad who has a good bit of tillage ground, very nice guy who gives me a voucher for the gun shop every christmas. I can shoot all matters of game on his land which includes deer on his father-in-laws place. I got a call from him one day saying his neighbour was having trouble on some reseeded ground with bunnies.

So I said I'd give a shout over to meet him, he took me off in his jeep and showed me around the place. We went to an outside farm of his which had some very nice pieces of cover, ideal for a fox. I mentioned this to him and he went mick, said to leave the foxes alone because he's involved in the local hunt. So I just said to him "well if thats the case go away and get someone else to shoot your rabbits, you can't have it every way lad".. Haven't been back there since! I still get on great with the tillage man.. no hard feelings like!
16-04-2012, 19:30   #15
TriggerPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Fudd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerPL View Post
Hold on now yes it great that we get permissions , but we don't need to hunt ! We want to hunt ! Farmers need us in some areas more so , hunters keep there fences from being broken or lands from being ruined , crops from being ate and lamb from being taken !

Coming from farming back round and having worked with farmers on a daily basis . There never happy . You think were not doing them a favour by saving there lambs or stopping hundreds of euro of fencing being damaged .

Better yet have you seen the damage rabbit or deer do to farms , I have .

So yes permission is great . But we should also get the respect we deserve for the late nights and early morning we put in hunting!
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed