Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-04-2012, 21:31   #31
Big Knox

Send a message via MSN to Big Knox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
What edge lol ? Last i saw the PS3 and Xbox360 were almost even in hardware sales !

And PS3 has better games so....

Hope i dont start a console war !!
It's true PS3 exclusives >>> 360 exclusives.

Both great machines and may the next gen be as good and hopefully better!!
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 23:29   #32
Nikky_Bellic
Banned

Me buying an xbox was a weird thing ....

I remember trying a few places on launch day and being told all were soldout. So I goto smyths toys blanchardstown and asked ... same thing sold out.

About 2 days later I notice an xbox 360 console box on the top shelf behind the games counter, again in Smyths Toys Blanchardstown. Went up to the person working on the till "erm... is that an xbox 360 for sale?" ... - "actually, yeah.. yeah it is!" unbeknowingly they had one left to them ( ) and managed to get one

What chance. I was just asking thinking it was a display box. Weird. Sadly the xbox 360 died in 2010
16-04-2012, 00:08   #33
krudler

I got my xbox when I worked in hmv, launch day, I had preordered one myself a few weeks after we started taking orders, we had over 100 preorders and only got 15 consoles. I was number 16 on the preorder list. so not only did I have to ring and text 85 people to tell them that we didnt get enough consoles to meet demand, I didnt even have an xbox. UNTIL, I rang customer 15 to tell them it was there, and they told me their kid had changed his mind and wanted a DS instead,so it went to the next person on the list, yus
16-04-2012, 07:51   #34
Potential-Monke

Doesn't feel like 7 years. I is getting old...

I'm on my 3rd 360, first one RROD'd 1 year ago, the replacement had to be sent back as it was damaged, and i'm on the third one. On my second PS3 too. First one YLOD'd 3 years ago, but i got a straight swap for another phat 60gig which is still going strong.

I'm in no rush for a new console, simply because i can't afford one. Good to know it'll be next year at the earliest before i've to start all over again!
16-04-2012, 08:29   #35
Meesared

Send a message via Skype™ to Meesared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
What edge lol ? Last i saw the PS3 and Xbox360 were almost even in hardware sales !

And PS3 has better games so....

Hope i dont start a console war !!

Mainly only because of Japan though.
Xbox is beating the PS3 in the States (and is consistenly outselling it month by month)
PS3 has the lead over Xbox in Europe, but it is close.
And I dont think I need to explain the situation in Japan.

Your comment about PS3 having better games, I wouldn't be so sure about, better exclusives yes, but it is consistently getting inferior versions of multi-format games.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-04-2012, 13:31   #36
Sgt Hartman

Mine is a noisy old 2005 original My friend bought it when it first came out and I bought it off him a year later. It suffered the red ring of death last year but the Xbox repair centre in Celbridge repaired it for me. It's working perfect ever since
17-04-2012, 17:07   #37
Nikky_Bellic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudler View Post
I got my xbox when I worked in hmv, launch day, I had preordered one myself a few weeks after we started taking orders, we had over 100 preorders and only got 15 consoles. I was number 16 on the preorder list. so not only did I have to ring and text 85 people to tell them that we didnt get enough consoles to meet demand, I didnt even have an xbox. UNTIL, I rang customer 15 to tell them it was there, and they told me their kid had changed his mind and wanted a DS instead,so it went to the next person on the list, yus

Being honest,
I would of just said customer 15 didnt want an xbox (if they did want it that is) thus getting yours
17-04-2012, 17:30   #38
Temptamperu

Send a message via Skype™ to Temptamperu
Im on my third at this point, Still love as if it was my child
17-04-2012, 21:35   #39
Local-womanizer

On my second, but the first one moved house. Bought 6 years ago.

A great wee machine.
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 11:04   #40
Beefy78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesared View Post
Mainly only because of Japan though.
Xbox is beating the PS3 in the States (and is consistenly outselling it month by month)
PS3 has the lead over Xbox in Europe, but it is close.
And I dont think I need to explain the situation in Japan.

Your comment about PS3 having better games, I wouldn't be so sure about, better exclusives yes, but it is consistently getting inferior versions of multi-format games.
There's no reason to discount Japanese sales though.

I used to laugh at my friends with their XBox 360s dying all the time. THere was a period, probably 2008/09 when literally at least once a month I'd see on Facebook that someone's 360 was dying on them. How I laughed. Then my PS3 got the YLOD. At least Microsoft's response to the situation was a lot stronger than Sony's.

It's a shame that there will likely be very few of this generation of machines which survive another ten years or so. They're just not built to last.
18-04-2012, 11:11   #41
kippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy78 View Post

It's a shame that there will likely be very few of this generation of machines which survive another ten years or so. They're just not built to last.
Well, to be fair to technology in general, very few of any type of high end (at the time) technology will last simply because it is high end technology.
The productions methods, the material and the use of these devices, as well as the actual workings of them mean that there will be a finite lifespan on the majority of them.
18-04-2012, 11:18   #42
Beefy78

Which, as I said, is a shame. I can power up my Atari 2600 for a game of Centipede whenever I want to. My PS2 is still limping along at the age of 12. It's a shame that this won't be the case in the future.
18-04-2012, 11:21   #43
kippy

Quote:
Which, as I said, is a shame. I can power up my Atari 2600 for a game of Centipede whenever I want to. My PS2 is still limping along at the age of 12. It's a shame that this won't be the case in the future.
The point I am making is the older technology was far simpler, didn't generate as much heat and at the time was built more expensively than anything today. Indeed the components were completely different.

If you want the newer technology at a cheap price you have to accept that it's lifespan will be compromised.

It's not that they are "not built to last" so much, just that the technology inside them has a lifespan.
18-04-2012, 12:13   #44
Beefy78

I know the point you're making, which is why I'm saying that it's a shame and why I'm not attaching blame to either Microsoft or (to a lesser extent) Sony for it.
18-04-2012, 12:52   #45
kippy

Quote:
I know the point you're making, which is why I'm saying that it's a shame and why I'm not attaching blame to either Microsoft or (to a lesser extent) Sony for it.
"It's a shame" is just the price of progress......

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion