Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-04-2012, 04:17   #16
keyboardcook

The new rules on posting to Ireland happened just over 18 months ago.

Remember a time when you could view listings for "Ireland & UK"?

I see many issues above that cause anger etc etc., but eBay did make decisions based on above issues (which I won't mention in case I get banned) to completely compartmentalise all countries.

We are more aware of it here because of the size of our population. If I wnt to search on eBay now, I go to the .co.uk site and make a request for the seller to post to Ireland.

They still are unaware that the lisiting is now longer part of the .ie!!

HOWEVER: the larger upshot of this is for eBay iteslf. It is a dying company. It never worked in Asia, it is more or less dead in France, and the .co.uk market in getting smaller. Just look yourselves at listings you used to visit a year ago and see up to twenty pages of result. Go se what there is now!!

The percentages eBay and PayPal charge are criminal. You end up paying up to 15 % of sale price between listing, payment and currency conversion fees.

A joke.

So to answer the OP question.

Don't worry about it. eBay is a Behemoth set to die.

How do I know? All advertiding sites have a hay day. But then they try to get smarter!!

I guess the key for them is trying to get better rather than let the status quo survive.

Look at other failure: buyandsell, adverts (gone pear shaped since the arguments left the building- that is why we all watched it), gumtree, benduunne.....

I also see the racial comment here, but I reckon they are very valid, and not necessarily pointed at anyone in particular, but rather pointed at how policies are formed in these companies that we choose to on.

That's my pennies worth.

Anyone else care to put a higher bid on that!
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 14:47   #17
recipio

Interesting post Keyboardcook.
I agree that Ebay are sticking it to us, their sellers fees are just the same as a regular auction when added up. I didn't appreciate that they might be under pressure but that's a failure of their marketing strategy.If I were in charge I'd build in incentives to encourage international business.
The argument that its due to excessive defaulting is suspicious. I presume defaulters are banned so its a self censoring process.?
The actual pop ups blocking bids have only appeared in the past month or so.
I guess this is what happens when an altruistic idea from San Francisco turns into an international business. ?
15-04-2012, 14:50   #18
fasttalkerchat

Make another account. Problem solved.
15-04-2012, 14:54   #19
nlgbbbblth

There are ways around it - assuming the seller is willing to make an exception and post to Ireland.

1) You can ask the seller to add you to their exemption list.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buye...html#exemption

2) Alternatively you can change your registered address to a valid UK one, place your bid, and then change it back.
15-04-2012, 15:21   #20
gbee
Closed Account

I usually use www.ebay.eu and all the providers there will ship to Ireland. So that was handy.

Recently I'm finding it defaults to EBay.ie which is useless TBH.

BTW, the default EBAY is for home sales only, you need to change it, not all sellers realise this.

BTW, again, as for shipping you're better off with a Euro Country, UK is last resort.

Last edited by gbee; 15-04-2012 at 15:24.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 18:35   #21
sandin
Closed Account

One of the reasons is probably the huge increases in delivery charges by Royal Mail.

Some fees have increased by 70%

A standard letter is now 60p (73c). International letters can cost up to £2.21 for just 100g! (90c sending from here to UK)

Large envelope of 500g will cost £4.82 (about €6) (€4.50 sending it from here to UK)
15-04-2012, 19:05   #22
nlgbbbblth

Our fees are pretty dear too.

3 euro to post a CD outside Ireland.
15-04-2012, 19:28   #23
recipio

Good stuff, thanks.
entering a UK address is probably the way to go assuming the seller agrees to post to Ireland.
I ordered some items from Poland recently and was amazed at the low postage cost.
16-04-2012, 00:14   #24
Yamanoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgbbbblth View Post

2) Alternatively you can change your registered address to a valid UK one, place your bid, and then change it back.
This consistently works for me.
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 00:29   #25
hiscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbee View Post
I usually use www.ebay.eu and all the providers there will ship to Ireland. So that was handy.

Recently I'm finding it defaults to EBay.ie which is useless TBH.

BTW, the default EBAY is for home sales only, you need to change it, not all sellers realise this.

BTW, again, as for shipping you're better off with a Euro Country, UK is last resort.
I have to agree with this.I recently bought an item from a seller in the UK and postage to Ireland was £20.I bought a similar sized and wejghted item from a German seller and he changed his settings and shipped to me for 14 Euro.
I know for a fact that the UK seller wasn't taking the p**s as I have a sister in England who told me that £20 was about right for posting a parcel that size to Ireland from the UK.
06-11-2012, 17:32   #26
christyler

ebay

the problem hers seems to be that ebay have updated there listing system, and if you list something from the uk it automatically defaults to uk only.

most sellers haven't even noticed this and just continue to list in the usual way.

then once listed you then cant change the post to locations. i have asked sellers to change the listing to include ireland and they are happy to do so but, ebay have made it imposable for them to do it.

sellers have said just go ahead and bid and we will post to Ireland, but we cant even bid if Ireland is not in the post to locations.

ebay say the way to fix it is to cancel the listing and realist it but include Ireland when you relist, like anyone's going to do that !!!!!!

as far as i can see Ebay have alienated an entire country, whilst not doing there sellers any good either.
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2012, 17:41   #27
Judgement Day
Banned

Yes, eBay are rubbish but for the private seller they are still the only game in town.
06-11-2012, 20:49   #28
nlgbbbblth

The "add exemptions" process as outlined in my earlier post should still work - did for me last week.
07-11-2012, 12:55   #29
recipio

My old post revived. ! To be practical, its hard to ask every seller to change the access settings just to allow you to bid.
In practice, only some items get the red pop up banner. I tend to put a small bid in and if thats allowed I ask the seller if he will post to the ROI.
Don't know if you people use an automatic bidder like auctionsniper but be aware it won't bid unless the seller has specified that he will post outside of the UK.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion