Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom) - Page 7 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-04-2012, 07:01   #91
James T Kirk
Closed Account

Am I a cynic, or did Gervais write this show especially to fend off the criticism he received for pulling 'mong' faces on Twitter?

This guy has always had a creepy and ambivalent fixation with disability throughout his career.

I always get the impression that himself and Merchant see themselves as some kind of Nietzschean supermen.

Two classic cases of reading too many philosophy books, and believing everything therein.

'Derek' was just Gervais pulling his mong face ('cos he ain't no Daniel Day Lewis) with Karl Pilkington stealing the show from under his pretentious arse.

And rightly so. Go Karl!
Advertisement
14-04-2012, 07:27   #92
Deedsie

Send a message via Skype™ to Deedsie
I enjoyed it, I am a fan of Gervais, Merchant and above all Pilkington though...

It was a window into the highs and lows of the under appreciated people in society! It showed how tender and decent people can be. It also showed how cruel life can be to innocent people. "chavs down the pub"

It's not a comedy really but Karl in his first acting role stole the show...
14-04-2012, 12:00   #93
brian_t

I enjoyed it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedsie View Post
It's not a comedy really but Karl in his first acting role stole the show...
I thought Karl was playing the exact same character he plays in An Innocent Abroad. Different name and with a hair piece of course.
14-04-2012, 12:18   #94
NotorietyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T Kirk View Post
Am I a cynic, or did Gervais write this show especially to fend off the criticism he received for pulling 'mong' faces on Twitter?
You're a cynic. He was filming the show already when that happened or was filming a week or two after. I remember him posting pictures from the set on Twitter soon after he joined.

I don't follow him any more on Twitter, he became insufferable when Life's Too Short was airing, and I wasn't a fan of that show, but in fairness Derek was very good. When he wants to he can create fairly effective little dramatic moments, that seem pretty heartfelt. You just have to look at the Office to see that, especially the Christmas special. I think Derek was him exploring that side again. Don't think it was a cynical ploy, or at least not for the reasons you think.
(3) thanks from:
15-04-2012, 09:31   #95
IamtheWalrus

Hamster on a piano, hamster on a piano.. HE CATCHES HIM!
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 10:10   #96
MungBean
Closed Account

Really wasnt expecting much with this thinking it was another out and out comedy but it was absolutely brilliant.
15-04-2012, 10:14   #97
Basq

Send a message via Skype™ to Basq
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotorietyH View Post
You're a cynic. He was filming the show already when that happened or was filming a week or two after. I remember him posting pictures from the set on Twitter soon after he joined.
The character of Derek has been around much longer than that..

.. he made a short movie revolving around Derek in 2001. It was on YouTube up until recently too, but can't find it now.
Thanks from:
15-04-2012, 10:22   #98
leggo

He's really, really onto something here. I think this could be his 'Forrest Gump', and when he proves he's not just a one-trick pony in terms of characters he plays. And given how much time he's taken to flesh this out, it shows how careful he's being with it to get it right. I'm looking forward to more.
15-04-2012, 10:35   #99
MungBean
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T Kirk View Post
'Derek' was just Gervais pulling his mong face ('cos he ain't no Daniel Day Lewis) with Karl Pilkington stealing the show from under his pretentious arse.

And rightly so. Go Karl!
I get the feeling this might go over peoples heads with a lot of people left wondering why the "retard" wasnt funnier after seeing it.
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 11:16   #100
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
He's really, really onto something here. I think this could be his 'Forrest Gump', and when he proves he's not just a one-trick pony in terms of characters he plays. And given how much time he's taken to flesh this out, it shows how careful he's being with it to get it right. I'm looking forward to more.
He might not be a one trick pony with the characters he plays but he's getting that way with the format of his shows. Mockumentary again!
15-04-2012, 18:47   #101
KilOit

Watched this on 4od, how did they fit so much into 24 mins, hope to see more of this, didn't really laugh but didn't see it as a comedy really.
16-04-2012, 13:41   #102
pickarooney

I felt nothing for this.
Thanks from:
16-04-2012, 15:15   #103
Gerty

2 things i think that could make the show better -

1. Not to have Gervais
2. Not to have Karl

Karl is just distracting and being himself and the same for Gervais.

The woman, Kerry Godliman, stole the show i thought.
Thanks from:
16-04-2012, 23:13   #104
pconn062

I thought this was good, if a little rushed. I couldn't really buy Gervais or Pilkington's characters but I enjoyed the concept. Would like to see more.
17-04-2012, 11:47   #105
Welsh Megaman

Daily Mail has the knives sharpened...surprise, surprise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ew-comedy.html

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion