Cat D writeoff - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-04-2012, 08:09   #16
john reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmonkey View Post
If the bags blew in that car when it got a rap it would of wrote it off I presume. You'd want an engineers report on it.
you presume wrong
Advertisement
14-04-2012, 08:59   #17
gyppo

All you need to know about Cat D is here:

http://www.mycarcheck.com/help/accidentdamage/

Cat D classes the car as cost of repairing the damage as more than 60% of the value of the car.
Imo, a Cat D claim on a 1/2/3 year old car means walk away. the car has had significant damage.
A Cat D claim on a 10 year old car might only mean something like a new wing.

Last edited by gyppo; 14-04-2012 at 09:03.
14-04-2012, 09:04   #18
mickdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by john reilly View Post
no you cant be sure
Yes I can
At a minimum, it would have had to be heavy impact at the wing which resulted in airbag deployment as a replacement wing alone is not going to make an 08 golf a cat d.
If airbag were deployed, the car needs thorough investigation.
14-04-2012, 09:30   #19
corktina

The car may have suffered very litle damage but will you be able to sell it again when the time comes?

I recently was interested in a Focus RS which i ran by carchecker as it was cheaper then the petrol to look myself, cat d write off and i "walked away"

You can't be sure how well the car has been repaired and it COULD be a death trap. Spend your money on a sound car, even if itmeans getting one a year or two older.
14-04-2012, 14:43   #20
john reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
Yes I can
At a minimum, it would have had to be heavy impact at the wing which resulted in airbag deployment as a replacement wing alone is not going to make an 08 golf a cat d.
wrong on every account
Advertisement
14-04-2012, 14:44   #21
john reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by corktina View Post
The car may have suffered very litle damage but will you be able to sell it again when the time comes?

I recently was interested in a Focus RS which i ran by carchecker as it was cheaper then the petrol to look myself, cat d write off and i "walked away"

You can't be sure how well the car has been repaired and it COULD be a death trap. Spend your money on a sound car, even if itmeans getting one a year or two older.
are one that has been damaged and not recorded
14-04-2012, 15:28   #22
mickdw

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I can
wrong on every account
Explain then how a simple wing replacement will cause a cat d on an 08 golf? You seem very sure that I'm wrong. What cost would you associate with a wing replacement on this car via insurance?
What value would you put on an 08 golf? Also we don't know when the damage occurred. If it occurred early in its life, the damage would be even more significant to warrant a cat d.
14-04-2012, 17:33   #23
john reilly

Quote:
Explain then how a simple wing replacement will cause a cat d on an 08 golf? You seem very sure that I'm wrong. What cost would you associate with a wing replacement on this car via insurance?
What value would you put on an 08 golf? Also we don't know when the damage occurred. If it occurred early in its life, the damage would be even more significant to warrant a cat d.
the lowest amount of damage is category d. so if the car has a recorded claim no matter how small it would be cat d. have seen cars with no visible damage listed as cat d and c
14-04-2012, 18:59   #24
mickdw

Quote:
the lowest amount of damage is category d. so if the car has a recorded claim no matter how small it would be cat d. have seen cars with no visible damage listed as cat d and c
You came on to this thread and contradicted everyone bluntly telling them they are wrong as if you have great wisdom on this topic. It is now clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. Please go away and educate yourself on the subject before condemning all opinions. Cat d is the lowest level of write off. The cost of damage versus car value that constitutes a cat d was highlighted earlier in this thread. There are many instances of damage to cars that do not result in a cat d or any other category of write off.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-04-2012, 19:33   #25
Guy:Incognito

Quote:
the lowest amount of damage is category d. so if the car has a recorded claim no matter how small it would be cat d.
This is one of the few times I'd approved of the use of a Captain Picard facepalm pic.

Last edited by Guy:Incognito; 14-04-2012 at 19:36.
Thanks from:
14-04-2012, 20:39   #26
john reilly

Quote:
You came on to this thread and contradicted everyone bluntly telling them they are wrong as if you have great wisdom on this topic. It is now clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. Please go away and educate yourself on the subject before condemning all opinions. Cat d is the lowest level of write off. The cost of damage versus car value that constitutes a cat d was highlighted earlier in this thread. There are many instances of damage to cars that do not result in a cat d or any other category of write off.
i have bought more cat d cars than you sat in. if you dont want to know the facts i couldnt care less.
14-04-2012, 20:40   #27
john reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy:Incognito View Post
This is one of the few times I'd approved of the use of a Captain Picard facepalm pic.
go for it
14-04-2012, 20:48   #28
drunkmonkey

Here's a CAT D golf just so eveyone has an idea of what it would be classed like in the UK, frontal damage and airbags blown. I'd suspect the car OP is looking at could have been something similar damage wise.

http://www.usedcarsni.com/84866943

or just for balance it could have been cosmetic just like this one http://www.usedcarsni.com/83578280
14-04-2012, 20:50   #29
john reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmonkey View Post
Here's a CAT D golf just so eveyone has an idea of what it would be classed like in the UK, frontal damage and airbags blown. I'd suspect the car OP is looking at could have been something similar damage wise.

http://www.usedcarsni.com/84866943

or just for balance it could have been cosmetic just like this one http://www.usedcarsni.com/83578280
it could have been anything from a scratch to a mangle
14-04-2012, 20:56   #30
drunkmonkey

Quote:
it could have been anything from a scratch to a mangle
A,B,C,D

Ends in a mangle doesn't start with a scratch though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion