Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 15:41   #4981
SunnyDub1
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,404
Definition Of Stingy

Just to clarify people -

stin-gy definition :

<LI style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: decimal">Unwilling to give or spend; ungenerous: "his employer is stingy and idle".
SunnyDub1 is offline  
Advertisement
11-04-2012, 15:55   #4982
norrie rugger
Registered User
 
norrie rugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: He walks here and there, they say
Posts: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDub1 View Post
Just to clarify people -

stin-gy definition :

<LI style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: decimal">Unwilling to give or spend; ungenerous: "his employer is stingy and idle".
Would that be financial or a braoder term relating to effort, time, experience, money and/or facilities?
norrie rugger is offline  
11-04-2012, 16:10   #4983
ronan45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drogheda Co Louthhhh
Posts: 1,427
Mate of mine years ago used to have the odd Gulp of anyones beer who was at the table. His number was up when he was seen on numerous occasions over a 2 week period doing this and he was confronted by us all
lol Scab
ronan45 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
11-04-2012, 17:09   #4984
Mickey H
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyd90 View Post
my father used to turn off the car and roll down hills to save petrol ..... God the embarrasment!
I know a few that used to do this years ago. Don't quite see the point of doing it.
Mickey H is offline  
11-04-2012, 23:59   #4985
ProudDUB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dublin & Way down yonder in the land of cotton...
Posts: 4,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrie rugger View Post

My father is the opposite of stingy and I see people take advantage of that too often. Especially as, when he drops us home, he could be making money from the public.

I have one aunt that thinks that he will not mind being the designated driver to all family occasions, just because he drives for a living.
Yep. I know the type. A good friend of mine is a taxi driver with a HUGE family. He had to stop taking his lovely BMW taxi to family events, and take his wife's Mini Cooper instead. It has two child car seats in the back, so they can not give lifts to people. Relations would be invited to family events and would winge that that couldn't come because their car was in the garage & they couldn't afford a taxi. His mammy and sisters would say "no problem, Jimmy will come and get you and drop you home." This would happen several times per event. He'd spend more time in his car ferrying people around than he would actually at the wedding/birthday party/christening etc etc. Never offered a penny for his trouble or for petrol.

Eventually he said "screw it" and he hatched the Mini Cooper plan. People would then come up to him at family events and tell him in accusatory tones that they had to drive there themselves, or how much they had to pay for a taxi to get there, as if was his fault. The car in the garage stories were rubbish. They just didn't want to take their own cars so that they could drink at the events, without having to pay for a taxi. Stingy fcukers !
ProudDUB is offline  
Advertisement
12-04-2012, 00:07   #4986
Smidge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDUB View Post
Yep. I know the type. A good friend of mine is a taxi driver with a HUGE family. He had to stop taking his lovely BMW taxi to family events, and take his wife's Mini Cooper instead. It has two child car seats in the back, so they can not give lifts to people. Relations would be invited to family events and would winge that that couldn't come because their car was in the garage & they couldn't afford a taxi. His mammy and sisters would say "no problem, Jimmy will come and get you and drop you home." This would happen several times per event. He'd spend more time in his car ferrying people around than he would actually at the wedding/birthday party/christening etc etc. Never offered a penny for his trouble or for petrol.

Eventually he said "screw it" and he hatched the Mini Cooper plan. People would then come up to him at family events and tell him in accusatory tones that they had to drive there themselves, or how much they had to pay for a taxi to get there, as if was his fault. The car in the garage stories were rubbish. They just didn't want to take their own cars so that they could drink at the events, without having to pay for a taxi. Stingy fcukers !
when I posted my post about my oh and giving the lift thing I was surprised that another poster on here couldnt see why i was annoyed about what my former friends dad did. What I didnt mention in my other post was that my oh was also a taxi driver at the time and had stoppped work to give us a lift!!!
Smidge is offline  
13-04-2012, 00:06   #4987
birdlake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Working in a bar last year I was asked for a pint of Smithwicks by an American tourist. He then asked for five whisky glasses and thinking he was going to sample some Irish whisky, I lined them up for him. He proceeded to split the pint 5 ways amongst himself and 4 pals. Small country pub, the locals spat beer everywhere trying not to laugh in their faces!!
birdlake is offline  
13-04-2012, 00:29   #4988
psychward
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlake View Post
Working in a bar last year I was asked for a pint of Smithwicks by an American tourist. He then asked for five whisky glasses and thinking he was going to sample some Irish whisky, I lined them up for him. He proceeded to split the pint 5 ways amongst himself and 4 pals. Small country pub, the locals spat beer everywhere trying not to laugh in their faces!!
Strange for an American of my acquaintance but they are a diverse bunch. My cousins from Boston always tip the bartenders like money was going out of fashion (and make Irish bar tenders happy). I guess that's what they are used to doing in the USA.
psychward is offline  
13-04-2012, 00:33   #4989
Motorist
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 813
Got a lift to the airport with a mate a few years back. He was going there anyway and my house was on his route. He loaded up the car with 5 people and took a tenner off each of us. The parking for two nights was 15 euro so covered that and made 15 euro for himself (he didn't charge his girlfriend). We could have just as easily got a taxi between us for cheaper than that. I ended up getting the bus back from the airport.

Another night we ordered in a 16 inch pizza between a few of us - it was only 3 euro each but he said it was too expensive. When the pizza arrived he scoffed about twice as many slices as any one else. I wouldnt mind but the guy saves every penny he has, has plenty of cash and his family are minted too. It's one thing being stingy to yourself which is kinda funny, but it's another thing actively trying to rip off your own mates.

Another mate of mine turned off his freezer during the freeze two years ago. He put his frozen food in a black bin bag and left it outside the back door of his house. That same mate never buys toilet roll either - he just jumps in the shower and rinses himself down after taking a barry white.

Last edited by Motorist; 13-04-2012 at 00:40.
Motorist is offline  
Advertisement
13-04-2012, 01:41   #4990
fasttalkerchat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorist View Post
That same mate never buys toilet roll either - he just jumps in the shower and rinses himself down after taking a barry white.
That turned my stomach!
And he told you this?
fasttalkerchat is offline  
13-04-2012, 03:13   #4991
Martyn1989
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttalkerchat View Post
That turned my stomach!
And he told you this?
Surely hes cleaner though. Just saying.
Martyn1989 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-04-2012, 03:20   #4992
fasttalkerchat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorist View Post
Yeah but he also told me he pissed on my toothbrush 3 months after doing it. Hes a bit out there to say the least.
Does he stick pins in your condoms too?
I would ditch this disgusting weirdo!
fasttalkerchat is offline  
Thanks from:
13-04-2012, 03:23   #4993
daddydick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazzie View Post
Try tax, insure and test a car, whilst constantly being raped by the Government for putting petrol into it, before you call others stingey to be fair.
That is the stingiest thing I've heard a stingy person say
daddydick is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-04-2012, 09:11   #4994
Kolido
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kosice
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorist View Post
That same mate never buys toilet roll either - he just jumps in the shower and rinses himself down after taking a barry white.

If you don't mind me asking, what were this guys living arrangements, alone, sharing?
If he is living alone, do his guests(if any) have to do the same if they have a crap at his place?
Kolido is online now  
Thanks from:
13-04-2012, 09:20   #4995
sunflower27
Registered User
 
sunflower27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Sunny South East!
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolido View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what were this guys living arrangements, alone, sharing?
If he is living alone, do his guests(if any) have to do the same if they have a crap at his place?


I can see it now... 'going around to Joe's place - wallet... check, beers.... check, loo roll... check....'
sunflower27 is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search