Wing Chun in Cork - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-03-2012, 16:15   #16
Michael O Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMAN1 View Post
I find that surprising , even forgeting the politics of the time, Joseph Cheng was a student of Lee Sing, why would he send him to somebody else.
Hi Tony,

I don't know the details. That is just what I have heard/read.

Regards,

Michael
www.wingtsun.ie
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 20:13   #17
OLDMAN1

[QUOTE=Michael O Leary;77875478]Hi Tony,

I don't know the details. That is just what I have heard/read.

Regards,

Michael
www.wingtsun.ie[/QUOTE]

Hi Michael

Im not questioning it, i was just surprised by it,

Tony
31-03-2012, 22:54   #18
USWINGCHUNSIFU

As I recall Joseph Cheng left the Uk to become a personal bodyguard to a Saudi Prince. Perhaps that was why he would refer someone on, pure speculation, but logical. It was my impression that Joseph Cheng had very little to do with his western students and his chinese students were the ones that taught the westerners. His class did not seem exactly integrated. He did have a reputation as being the senior amongst the other students of Lee Shing.
02-04-2012, 13:17   #19
OLDMAN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USWINGCHUNSIFU View Post
As I recall Joseph Cheng left the Uk to become a personal bodyguard to a Saudi Prince. Perhaps that was why he would refer someone on, pure speculation, but logical. It was my impression that Joseph Cheng had very little to do with his western students and his chinese students were the ones that taught the westerners. His class did not seem exactly integrated. He did have a reputation as being the senior amongst the other students of Lee Shing.
Thats what we were told at the time, i heard later that he moved back to China after a few years of working there and died soon after, still relatively young. He used to come over to the Dublin club with Austin Goh, Nigal Fann and Eddie yao and some went over to England to train.His classes were mostly Chinese. After Joseph went the connection between the clubs just stopped, (i dont know why) from what i remember he was Lee Sing's senior student, but it wasn't just that, he was a different level, a lot of people in England seem to have writen him out of Wing Chun history for some reason...
04-04-2012, 14:53   #20
USWINGCHUNSIFU

Quote:
Thats what we were told at the time, i heard later that he moved back to China after a few years of working there and died soon after, still relatively young. He used to come over to the Dublin club with Austin Goh, Nigal Fann and Eddie yao and some went over to England to train.His classes were mostly Chinese. After Joseph went the connection between the clubs just stopped, (i dont know why) from what i remember he was Lee Sing's senior student, but it wasn't just that, he was a different level, a lot of people in England seem to have writen him out of Wing Chun history for some reason...
Some have written Lee Shing out of their lineage too. I think it is quite fascinating to see all the threads that have woven the rich tapestry of Wing Chun to this day. Joseph Cheng appears to be one of the mysterious Wing Chun Sifu that came and went. He must have been quite young when he died, I'd never heard that before.

Perhaps you remember Derek Jones a Victor Khan student.
Advertisement
04-04-2012, 20:33   #21
OLDMAN1

Quote:
Some have written Lee Shing out of their lineage too. I think it is quite fascinating to see all the threads that have woven the rich tapestry of Wing Chun to this day. Joseph Cheng appears to be one of the mysterious Wing Chun Sifu that came and went. He must have been quite young when he died, I'd never heard that before.

The problem with Lee Sing was that although he was a member of the Yip Mans association, he wasn't Yip Mans linage and when he died politics came into it. i dont know if it true but i was told a number of years ago that Simon Lau wasn't Lee Sing linage either although he is listed as his student, who did Simon learn from?

in my opinion Joseph Cheung wan'nt mysterious he just believed in fighting and a lot of Wing chun teachers dont

I dont remember a Derek Jones, but my memory is'nt what it used to be
04-04-2012, 22:43   #22
USWINGCHUNSIFU

[Quote=OLDMAN1;77953534]
Quote:

The problem with Lee Sing was that although he was a member of the Yip Mans association, he wasn't Yip Mans linage and when he died politics came into it. i dont know if it true but i was told a number of years ago that Simon Lau wasn't Lee Sing linage either although he is listed as his student, who did Simon learn from?

in my opinion Joseph Cheung wan'nt mysterious he just believed in fighting and a lot of Wing chun teachers dont

I dont remember a Derek Jones, but my memory is'nt what it used to be[/

Simon always said that he learned under Yip Man. That's all we knew at the time. However, I have not heard or seen that acknowledged by other Sifu. It remains unclear to me. I was told that he talked highly of Lee Shing. If you were close to Austin Gogh I would think he would have told you who learned from who.

Back then Everyone wanted to connect to Yip Man because he taught Bruce Lee, so that gave you instant credibility. Then it became about how senior you were under Yip.
After meeting so many Wing Chun Sifu and students from all over, I have concluded that very very, if any got the art in its entirety. When these students arrived in the US or Europe or Australia, they had large gaps in there knowledge and understanding of Wing Chun, so just as Bruce Lee did, they added and changed things to create a cohesive style of WC. That's why you have all the secretive, competitive behavior, and politics in the WC system to a degree unlike any other Martial art. I think I got off on a tangent here but if anyone knows more about Simons lineage I would like to know.
For a while I heard the name Wong sze Wing bandied around if that rings any bells.

My best-michael
05-04-2012, 13:37   #23
OLDMAN1

[QUOTE=USWINGCHUNSIFU;77956261]
Quote:
Simon always said that he learned under Yip Man. That's all we knew at the time. However, I have not heard or seen that acknowledged by other Sifu. It remains unclear to me. I was told that he talked highly of Lee Shing. If you were close to Austin Gogh I would think he would have told you who learned from who.

Back then Everyone wanted to connect to Yip Man because he taught Bruce Lee, so that gave you instant credibility. Then it became about how senior you were under Yip.
After meeting so many Wing Chun Sifu and students from all over, I have concluded that very very, if any got the art in its entirety. When these students arrived in the US or Europe or Australia, they had large gaps in there knowledge and understanding of Wing Chun, so just as Bruce Lee did, they added and changed things to create a cohesive style of WC. That's why you have all the secretive, competitive behavior, and politics in the WC system to a degree unlike any other Martial art. I think I got off on a tangent here but if anyone knows more about Simons lineage I would like to know.
For a while I heard the name Wong sze Wing bandied around if that rings any bells.

My best-michael
I heard Simon Lau was very good and i always wondored were he learned it from.I was never close to Austin Goh, i was very young at the time, people like wally dillon and leo moore would have know them better but as far as i know neither is involved in Wing Chun anymore, i agree with the rest, what most people forget is that most of Yip mans students only trained with him for relatively short time, i heard that Victor Kan was the longest 6 - 7 years, most only did 2 or 3 years before opening there own schools and as far as i know Yip Man never gave any grades out..
all the best Tony
07-04-2012, 22:20   #24
USWINGCHUNSIFU

Simon had a very unique quality.I have not seen that particular quality in other Sifu. We were all very inspired. So I dont know who taught like that or whether it was just some inherent quality belonging to Simon. Our Wing Chun may have appeared very hard style, by contrast to what I have seen, mostly in the states.

Some of the Yip man students have told me that Yip man just would correct them now and again, and that his handful of seniors did most of the teaching. Definately no grades but an unspoken heirachy within the school.

My best-Michael
Advertisement
12-08-2012, 12:06   #25
ShockBreakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael O Leary View Post
As far as I know there is one school that teaches Fatshan Wing Chun, another from the Wong Shun Leung Ving Tsun and two independant Wing Tsun schools.
Does anyone have any contact information for the Wong Shun Leung school? Are they still in Cork?
12-08-2012, 22:43   #26
Michael O Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockBreakout View Post
Does anyone have any contact information for the Wong Shun Leung school? Are they still in Cork?
Hi,

http://www.teamwingchun.co.uk/index....rk-school.html

Regards,

Michael
www.wingtsun.ie

Last edited by Michael O Leary; 12-08-2012 at 23:03.
13-11-2014, 18:00   #27
mckormick

Hi - sorry to bump an old post but I wondered if there were still Wing Tsun classes in Kinsale?

Also does anyone know of any other Wing Tsun/Chun classes or private instructors in West. Cork?

Many thanks!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion