DoE testing - The Last Word - Page 27 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 08:09   #391
stevire
Registered User
 
stevire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Justice View Post
Renault Espace. Where would us self builders be without them eh?

Yeah, its a failure alright. No adequate support for the seat. I used to drive an aul tub a shite skip lorry years ago and it failed the DOE for that too. had to put a piece of foam in it and stitch it up. Just stitch a bit of fabric over the hole, and provided there's not a big hole int it, it'll be fine.
Yeah the Espace is a great resource! Only problem I have with the seat is that the swivel handle is too close to the handbrake... Another item on the self-build todo list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjwal View Post
Yep. Exactly as buford has said. Just fill it,stitch it and cover it. It is a pickey thing, but it is a test item and the manual says if the foam is protruding then it's a fail.
Wasn't aware that would fail a DOE, was a bit shocked at the time!! I'll get it sorted either way
stevire is offline  
Advertisement
02-04-2012, 11:51   #392
Buford T Justice
Registered User
 
Buford T Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In Pursuit
Posts: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevire View Post
Yeah the Espace is a great resource! Only problem I have with the seat is that the swivel handle is too close to the handbrake... Another item on the self-build todo list!
I have the very same problem. Its on my er.... to do list to! Yeah!


Did you end up putting the drivers seat on the passenger side and the passenger seat on the driver side to get them to swivel in the right direction?
Buford T Justice is offline  
02-04-2012, 13:48   #393
stevire
Registered User
 
stevire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Justice View Post
I have the very same problem. Its on my er.... to do list to! Yeah!


Did you end up putting the drivers seat on the passenger side and the passenger seat on the driver side to get them to swivel in the right direction?
The seats were one of the few things that came with the van! The drivers side swivels around to the left and armrest is on the left (which would be the drivers seat of the Espace?) and passenger swings to the right / armrest on the right.
stevire is offline  
02-04-2012, 14:01   #394
micos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Hi All,
Quick question , passed doe for my 1990 campervan, went to get the cert in motor tax office and was told the software hasnt been updated yet and could only be issued for a year and to come back in a few months for a free of charge 2 year cert.
was previously told its a yearly test so slightly confused now!
micos is offline  
02-04-2012, 16:28   #395
martyc5674
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjwal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc1951 View Post
I have attached an excellent article covering the whole area of changing the GVW (MAM).

During correspondence with the RSA during November 2010 they confirmed to me that the type of operation mentioned in the article, when carried by a competent and authorised person (like SV Tech), is wholly acceptable to them (the RSA), as it is to equivalent organisations elsewhere within the EU.

Any refusal to allow such an operation on the vehicle of an Irish resident would be contrary to the Free Movement of Goods and Services Directive.

Ok. I appolagise and I am standing corrected. But once again, this information has never been passed on to the test centres from the rsa.
No worries... It ain't very clear.
I just realised I've a copy of a RSA mail stating that it's OK once done by a competent person/body.

Marty.
martyc5674 is offline  
Advertisement
02-04-2012, 17:24   #396
Pjwal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Justice View Post
I have the very same problem. Its on my er.... to do list to! Yeah!


Did you end up putting the drivers seat on the passenger side and the passenger seat on the driver side to get them to swivel in the right direction?

i v done this operation, you make them the other way, but you need good use of the angle grinder, but its worth it to have arm rests to the inside as you have the door as an arm rest on the outside, you need to unbolt all the retractable seat belt gear and grind off all the metal work its attarched to and a bit that goes in under the seat. then turn the seat up side down and work the swivel and you will see the lugs that stop it turning the other way and cut them off. its all do able it doesnt take too much from the seat afterwards even though you cant attatch the plastic cover at the side any more. i also had to bend out the hand brake lever a bit with a pipe to be able to use the drivers one, worked a treat.
ford galaxey seats also do the trick but in the old ducato/peugeot/citroen, you do need to cut down the pedistal boxes that the seats sit on as they are a thicker seat and dont leave enough clearence between the seat and the steering wheel or a tall guys head and the roof lining, but not too big a job, unless you have water tanks under your seats.
Pjwal is offline  
02-04-2012, 19:10   #397
bluethunder
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by micos View Post
Hi All,
Quick question , passed doe for my 1990 campervan, went to get the cert in motor tax office and was told the software hasnt been updated yet and could only be issued for a year and to come back in a few months for a free of charge 2 year cert.
was previously told its a yearly test so slightly confused now!
Exact same thing happened me. My van (and yours) is over 10 years old and so needs a yearly test. The people in the tax office seem to think that campers only need to be tested every 2 years. The guy who gave me my cert said that my cert was valid for 2 years even though it said one on the cert. I emailed them a few days later and they said it was a mistake and they'd be briefing all staff.
bluethunder is offline  
02-04-2012, 19:38   #398
Irishgoatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
Exact same thing happened me. My van (and yours) is over 10 years old and so needs a yearly test. The people in the tax office seem to think that campers only need to be tested every 2 years. The guy who gave me my cert said that my cert was valid for 2 years even though it said one on the cert. I emailed them a few days later and they said it was a mistake and they'd be briefing all staff.
I had no trouble at the Castlebar office.
Woman looked at my cert and said straight away, in a very friendly way, " don't forget it's every year for you now".
Irishgoatman is offline  
03-04-2012, 10:35   #399
Pjwal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgoatman View Post
I had no trouble at the Castlebar office.
Woman looked at my cert and said straight away, in a very friendly way, " don't forget it's every year for you now".

they taxed mine without the doe cert, my wife did it in line when the reminder came in. so i still have the test center pass cert. i know i need to hand it in so that its intered on the the garda database, but i thought the whole idea was that you needed it to tax it
Pjwal is offline  
Advertisement
03-04-2012, 11:10   #400
stevire
Registered User
 
stevire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjwal View Post
they taxed mine without the doe cert, my wife did it in line when the reminder came in. so i still have the test center pass cert. i know i need to hand it in so that its intered on the the garda database, but i thought the whole idea was that you needed it to tax it
Guess it's different from tax office to tax office and who you get. I wasn't allowed to re-register and tax mine without a DOE.
stevire is offline  
03-04-2012, 11:41   #401
Buford T Justice
Registered User
 
Buford T Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In Pursuit
Posts: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjwal View Post
i v done this operation, you make them the other way, but you need good use of the angle grinder, but its worth it to have arm rests to the inside as you have the door as an arm rest on the outside, you need to unbolt all the retractable seat belt gear and grind off all the metal work its attarched to and a bit that goes in under the seat. then turn the seat up side down and work the swivel and you will see the lugs that stop it turning the other way and cut them off. its all do able it doesnt take too much from the seat afterwards even though you cant attatch the plastic cover at the side any more. i also had to bend out the hand brake lever a bit with a pipe to be able to use the drivers one, worked a treat.
ford galaxey seats also do the trick but in the old ducato/peugeot/citroen, you do need to cut down the pedistal boxes that the seats sit on as they are a thicker seat and dont leave enough clearence between the seat and the steering wheel or a tall guys head and the roof lining, but not too big a job, unless you have water tanks under your seats.
No need to go to such extremes. I swapped the swivel bases around on mine. There are four bolts holding it in. I had to undo the catches that hold the seat base in and lift up the sponge and the cover. Once I did that, bob's yer uncle and jobs a good 'un
Buford T Justice is offline  
03-04-2012, 11:47   #402
Irishgoatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjwal View Post
they taxed mine without the doe cert, my wife did it in line when the reminder came in. so i still have the test center pass cert. i know i need to hand it in so that its intered on the the garda database, but i thought the whole idea was that you needed it to tax it
I was only changing pass cert for a roadworthiness cert. Tax is not due until later in year and then I'll be doing it on line as usual. I hope.
Irishgoatman is offline  
03-04-2012, 15:19   #403
Pjwal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Justice View Post
No need to go to such extremes. I swapped the swivel bases around on mine. There are four bolts holding it in. I had to undo the catches that hold the seat base in and lift up the sponge and the cover. Once I did that, bob's yer uncle and jobs a good 'un

oh right, yes i can picture that, but i had an extra goal to achieve, which was for the passenger seat to go both ways as the passenger(my sister inlaw) is disabled and its much easier for her getting in and out, but i ll remember what you said if i do any more
Pjwal is offline  
04-04-2012, 12:31   #404
Aidan_M_M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tipperary
Posts: 2,058
heard over the last while , a good few people failing over "altered" weight plates , according to calls we're getting , and from a friend in one of the MH clubs . And neither the RSA or the DOE centres can give a definite answer how to easily fix it . "take it to an engineer" , "get a certificate from the manufacturer".. yeah , right...
Aidan_M_M is offline  
04-04-2012, 13:00   #405
dickwod1
Registered User
 
dickwod1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maxwell House
Posts: 1,330
Tested my '80s Talbot Express today it failed because of the head lights ... guts of €200 for new headlights off ebay, but a least thats all - buy them fit them sorted.
dickwod1 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet