Car engine smells like rotten egg . . . - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
31-03-2012, 22:13   #1
dillo2k10
Registered User
 
dillo2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,325
Car engine smells like rotten egg . . .

My car has started to smell really bad, it smells like rotten egg but it's very strong outside the car . . . It's a 2001 1.6 ford focus
I had my cat and some exhaust parts and lambda sensors replaced few weeks ago if they could cause it .

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
dillo2k10 is offline  
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 22:16   #2
Rochey18
Registered User
 
Rochey18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,639
Inside the car I would of said your pollen filter.
Outside usually from your cat, hopefully someone has the answer.
Rochey18 is offline  
31-03-2012, 22:20   #3
minty247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20
dodgy cat i'd say
minty247 is offline  
31-03-2012, 22:25   #4
Nissan doctor
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,155
What caused the cat and sensors to fail do you know?

The rotten egg smell is a cat issue, normally caused by unburned fuel(sulphur) getting into the exhaust system. This may indicate another issue which could have been the cause of the your previous cat failure.
Nissan doctor is offline  
31-03-2012, 23:51   #5
johnthemull
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 148
h2s

hydrogen sulphide.
your cat is bollixed
johnthemull is offline  
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 23:56   #6
Bullseye1
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,699
Head gasket? Water from inside the exhaust system?
Bullseye1 is offline  
01-04-2012, 00:06   #7
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts
 
antodeco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ballyfermot. Posts: 99,999
Posts: 8,036
Has to be the cat. It's either blocked or just not working
antodeco is online now  
01-04-2012, 09:57   #8
vectra
"Quick Silver"
 
vectra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Co.Cork
Posts: 10,271
Send a message via Skype™ to vectra
What exactly do people mean with the replies say it is not working?
I always assumed if the cat was gone then the car would not run properly?

Last edited by vectra; 01-04-2012 at 10:44.
vectra is offline  
01-04-2012, 10:04   #9
DoneDL
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 900
Have the battery checked, had the same issue and that was the cause.
DoneDL is offline  
Advertisement
01-04-2012, 12:08   #10
worc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneDL View Post
Have the battery checked, had the same issue and that was the cause.
Had the same nasty smell with a car once and it was the battery. Didn't sort it for a few days (what a tool ) and all the electrics blew because of it - cost the price of the car itself to sort.
worc is offline  
01-04-2012, 14:57   #11
Nissan doctor
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectra View Post
What exactly do people mean with the replies say it is not working?
I always assumed if the cat was gone then the car would not run properly?

If the cat is blocked then it won't run properly, if its not functioning for any other reason then the car may run fine, just use more fuel/throw an EML etc
Nissan doctor is offline  
Thanks from:
01-04-2012, 15:11   #12
vectra
"Quick Silver"
 
vectra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Co.Cork
Posts: 10,271
Send a message via Skype™ to vectra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan doctor View Post
If the cat is blocked then it won't run properly, if its not functioning for any other reason then the car may run fine, just use more fuel/throw an EML etc

Was just wondering that as the Mondeo I had would smell stink of eggs If I gave it a good run, Car seemed to run fine though I did find it liked Loved Petrol.
Then I had a funny issue with starting at times. Engine would turn over but fail to fire until I turn off the key and try again at which point it would start instantly.
Maybe the cat was shagged but then again it flew through the NCT,
She was 02. I bought it in 05 and NCT'd in 06 @ 35k miles.
vectra is offline  
01-04-2012, 15:28   #13
Nissan doctor
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectra View Post
Was just wondering that as the Mondeo I had would smell stink of eggs If I gave it a good run, Car seemed to run fine though I did find it liked Loved Petrol.
Then I had a funny issue with starting at times. Engine would turn over but fail to fire until I turn off the key and try again at which point it would start instantly.
Maybe the cat was shagged but then again it flew through the NCT,
She was 02. I bought it in 05 and NCT'd in 06 @ 35k miles.


The smell is not a fault with the cat its self, its cause by unburned fuel ending up in the cat, normally caused by a misfire/timing issue. This in turn damages the cat.

Cat failures are a symptom of a combustion problem, so in the OP's case, its likely that whatever problem caused the first cat to fail hasn't been properly diagnosed and repaired and is now effecting the new cat.


@OP, did you have your timing belt done in the weeks/months leading up to the original cat failure?
Nissan doctor is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet