Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-03-2012, 18:04   #1
PictureFrame

Music Technology- Speed Required?

Hey guys, i'm doing Music Technology as an Option in my Practical and am not sure of the speed required to input the piece and complete edits etc. My Teacher is out tomorrow so I need to figure out as soon as possible how fast I should be at the piece.

I'm currently able to set up the Sheet, and input 48 bars (4 systems at 12 bars each), complete my edits (Change tempo, key and input performing dynamics) and perform the save, open and print in 5 minutes 8 seconds. Is this fast enough? If not how fast should it be? I desperately need an A in Music and this is very easy marks if performed correctly!

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Last edited by PictureFrame; 29-03-2012 at 18:20.
Advertisement
30-03-2012, 20:29   #2
JonnyMcNamee

Ok I may be drastically wrong on this but I think I remember my teacher saying we had 15 mins to input and edit our score? If this isn't right I need to get practicing quick
30-03-2012, 20:42   #3
Luno

I've heard that you don't have to imput the whole thing, they'll tell you to stop once they've a clear idea that you know your stuff?
30-03-2012, 21:03   #4
leaveiton
Closed Account

Yeah our music teacher says they'll generally stop you after the first four bars of whatever line you're inputting and then ask you to go onto the next instrument.
30-03-2012, 22:11   #5
PictureFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMcNamee View Post
Ok I may be drastically wrong on this but I think I remember my teacher saying we had 15 mins to input and edit our score? If this isn't right I need to get practicing quick
Oh well if we have 15 minutes i'm sorted then! I'm gonna do Technology before my pieces to get the nerves out of the way I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveiton View Post
Yeah our music teacher says they'll generally stop you after the first four bars of whatever line you're inputting and then ask you to go onto the next instrument.
Cool, i'll probably do it all in 2/3 minutes giving me more time for my Pieces anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&S* View Post
I've heard that you don't have to imput the whole thing, they'll tell you to stop once they've a clear idea that you know your stuff?
Yeah I remember my Teacher saying the maximum they can ask you is 4 systems at 12 bars each. She said they ussually ask 12 bars, 8 bars, 6 bars, and 4 bars for each system!
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 21:52   #6
galwaymusic
Closed Account

Waaaait, I'm confused... My music tech teacher told us that you go in with the piece DONE. You just go in; open it, do your 3/4 edits, show them save/print?
Please tell me that's right!!
31-03-2012, 21:56   #7
PictureFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaymusic View Post
Waaaait, I'm confused... My music tech teacher told us that you go in with the piece DONE. You just go in; open it, do your 3/4 edits, show them save/print?
This is definitely wrong, you have to input the piece yourself sure? That's the whole point of it? Your Teacher needs to be shot if they told you this! :O
31-03-2012, 21:59   #8
galwaymusic
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureFrame View Post
Quote:
This is definitely wrong, you have to input the piece yourself sure? That's the whole point of it? Your Teacher needs to be shot if they told you this! :O
Oh no.

NOOOOOOOO!!

>!<
31-03-2012, 22:00   #9
PictureFrame

Quote:
Oh no.

NOOOOOOOO!!

>!<
I actually am in disbelief that a Teacher could tell you such a thing, is your teacher actually a stupid cnut?
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 22:03   #10
galwaymusic
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureFrame View Post

I actually am in disbelief that a Teacher could tell you such a thing, is your teacher actually a stupid cnut?
You've ruined by day I tell ya...I'm texting my Music teacher tomorrow....FML.
And what edits are you doing?
She told me to do these;
• add in dynamic markings (crescendos... Things that are on the score)
• um...
01-04-2012, 11:32   #11
leaveiton
Closed Account

You're both sort of right!

You go in and have your piece saved. This is the piece you'll be making edits to. But they also ask you to input the piece, and they'll generally stop you after about 4 bars of each instrument (i.e. 4 bars of violin, 4 bars of viola, 4 bars of cello, 4 of double bass). You do the inputting first, on a blank score. Then when it's done they'll ask you to open the score you've already saved (this will be your full piece!) and then ask you do perform your edits.
(2) thanks from:
01-04-2012, 14:41   #12
galwaymusic
Closed Account

Quote:
. But they also ask you to input the piece, and they'll generally stop you after about 4 bars of each instrument (i.e. 4 bars of violin, 4 bars of viola, 4 bars of cello, 4 of double bass).
open the score you've already saved (this will be your full piece!) and then ask you do perform your edits.
My Music teacher says they hate doing this and try to do it as fast as possible, they may only ask few a few bars even on the first instrument! That's bloody fantasic!
But I still dont know what edits to do. Sorry, it's just she's very unclear about the specifics...
01-04-2012, 16:06   #13
JonnyMcNamee

Quote:
Quote:
. But they also ask you to input the piece, and they'll generally stop you after about 4 bars of each instrument (i.e. 4 bars of violin, 4 bars of viola, 4 bars of cello, 4 of double bass).
open the score you've already saved (this will be your full piece!) and then ask you do perform your edits.
My Music teacher says they hate doing this and try to do it as fast as possible, they may only ask few a few bars even on the first instrument! That's bloody fantasic!
But I still dont know what edits to do. Sorry, it's just she's very unclear about the specifics...
You can do any any edits such as key change, tempo change adding articulation marks and all that jazz! Finale has a user manual and its real simple to use so you should be fine with a bit of practice
Thanks from:
01-04-2012, 19:26   #14
galwaymusic
Closed Account

Ok...my music tech teacher is shíte.
27-04-2012, 16:46   #15
abbevilleson

Hey

I had my music practical last week and relaised when i was doing my technology, i trasnpoed the piece down the octave when goin from Bb to C. It was then outside the range of a descant recorder but still played ok?? Do u think ill lose many marks for this. My other inputting and edits were fine compared to this!! Sooo annoyed!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion