Fear of Flying - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-03-2012, 20:35   #31
star-pants
Closed Account

Well done Preusse!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-03-2012, 21:32   #32
Locker10a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preusse View Post
Flew from Dublin to Berlin yesterday for the first time in over 12 years. It was grand. I am so delighted with having taken that step.
Well done for getting through that! It take alot to face you fears, and now you did it!

Wishing you many happy flights in the future
Thanks from:
31-03-2012, 07:57   #33
Preusse

Quote:
Originally Posted by star-pants View Post
Well done Preusse!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker10a View Post
Well done for getting through that! It take alot to face you fears, and now you did it!

Wishing you many happy flights in the future
Thanks guys. I had my wife with me for moral support

And Jedward! They were sitting behind and across from us.

The return flight is a couple of weeks away but if it goes well again and if I feel really good I might hop over to Manchester later this year just to keep going.
Thanks from:
31-03-2012, 10:30   #34
dlofnep
Closed Account

Well done buddy! Congrats. I think you build up this thing in your head that you're going to hate it, and then it turns out to be ok. I drop some calms to help me get past the take-off. It's really only the take off that scares me... Don't like leaning back that far.
Thanks from:
31-03-2012, 14:39   #35
star-pants
Closed Account

Quote:
The return flight is a couple of weeks away but if it goes well again and if I feel really good I might hop over to Manchester later this year just to keep going.
That's the thing, if you can do it a few times spaced out, you'll hopefully get more confident with each one the fact you're even considering your next flight is a great sign!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-04-2012, 20:48   #36
Pablo Sanchez
Closed Account

Quote:
Flew from Dublin to Berlin yesterday for the first time in over 12 years. It was grand. I am so delighted with having taken that step.
Amazing! Great to hear, its been 12 years for myself and i was delighted to read your post.
Thanks from:
17-04-2012, 07:15   #37
Preusse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Sanchez View Post
Amazing! Great to hear, its been 12 years for myself and i was delighted to read your post.
I think what helped me was that it was a relatively short trip (2 hrs). An even shorter one would be to Duesseldorf (1 1/2 hrs) or even over to the UK. My GP gave me a prescription for something to calm me down but I didn't take anything in the end, just a coffee.

I can honestly say that the main thing that got me back into flying was the thought on losing out on too many good opportunities, career advancement being the major one for me, particularly if you're in the research field.

So it wasn't the idea of being able to visit my family and friends again, or to go on a nice holiday with my wife, it was quite self-centred but I think it gave me the final kick to just get up and go.
Thanks from:
17-04-2012, 23:37   #38
Breezer

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a year since I started this thread. Good to hear a few good news stories too!

Just an update: I went. Took a few internal flights like I said, on some very small rickety planes... and survived, obviously! I had a few sedatives, which my mates got a good kick out of. I realise that if there had actually been an emergency they probably would have made things worse, but they helped with the fear.

The best thing is, since I knew I could do it, I've since taken a flight with the sedatives there as backup only, and I didn't need them! I'm not going to pretend it was a wonderful, joyous experience, but I didn't panic, so it's a start. Planning on going off again next month: I'll bring the sedatives with me but hopefully I won't need them.

Thanks to everyone here for all the words of support I'm going to unfollow this thread now, but hopefully it can keep helping other people in some small way
Thanks from:
27-04-2012, 20:02   #39
Tom Cruise
Closed Account

I used to have a fear of flying but i would still push myself and get on a plane every yr to go to Spain.I swear there was times when in flight i used to think i wanted the plane to land and i would get a ship home and skip the holiday.
Then i discovered that my doc would give me magic tablets that i could take the day before the flight and during the flight and i would actually be ok.
So my advice is go to the doc and get roach 5.....
Advertisement
24-10-2012, 17:29   #40
cabincrewifly

I work as cabin crew, any questions I'd be delighted to answer
03-01-2013, 20:02   #41
Preusse

Went back for another flight in December. Short hop to Manchester and back. It was obviously much quicker than going to Berlin.

I cannot say that I enjoy it but I definitely go again this year (at least 2 return flights) and am getting better. Probably will never enjoy it as such but as long as I can do it it's fine. Finger's crossed.
(2) thanks from:
04-03-2013, 07:40   #42
Preusse

Note: should've said that on all the flights I took so far last year my wife was with me to distract me.

Saturday before last I went on my first solo return trip to Germany and it was actually OK. I had a bit of nerves before the flight to Germany which got worse the night before but once I was in the air for about 10 minutes it all became easier (although some level of anxiousness never left me I have to admit). The return flight was much better.

So, going again in about 8 weeks time I think it gets easier each time I go on a plane now. I can only recommend to anyone who feels as scared as I have been (haven't been away from Ireland for about 12 years before last year) to try and take that mental hurdle and go on short to medium length flights (my longest so far has been 2 hours, shortest about 40 minutes) and see how you get on. Have someone to go with you and make it a rewarding first trip (short holiday, visit a city or place you always wanted to visit, or, as in my case, an absolutely necessary trip to boost your career).

I think I can safely say I am back flying now, not completely anxiety-free but it gets easier and better every single time.

Last edited by Preusse; 04-03-2013 at 19:12.
04-03-2013, 10:25   #43
Locker10a

Quote:

it gets easier and better every single time.
This is definitely true! No doubt about it !
Well done you ! Keep it up!
Thanks from:
16-04-2013, 23:53   #44
EvanCornwallis
Closed Account

I had to break up with a long term partner because she wanted to travel and I can't fly. Getting from Dublin to london, I get the boat to Holyhead and then train. Horrible trip compared to a short flight, but not much I can do.
17-04-2013, 00:33   #45
Locker10a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanCornwallis View Post
I had to break up with a long term partner because she wanted to travel and I can't fly. Getting from Dublin to london, I get the boat to Holyhead and then train. Horrible trip compared to a short flight, but not much I can do.
Ah here thats F*ckin ridiculous! Do you realise what your missing out on? And this actually ended a relationship you had? And you think there is not much you can do? Seriously i dont mean this to sound very harsh, but get off your ass and do something about it!
What is it exactly you dont like? have you ever flown?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion