Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-03-2012, 22:22   #196
jonevin

Send a message via Skype™ to jonevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvanica View Post
Well i'm moving bank then, anyone got any good suggestions ?
I just signed up for Ulster Bank. They look much more professional, competitive and appreciative. Application process has been simple so far aswell. Spread the word. This will cost most people more than the household charge. F*ck them. They should be appreciative enough of the almost guaranteed future business they would have got off of most of their current account holders:
Ulster Bank can now look forward to my business for the future, which will probably include personal loans, a new credit card, debit card and credit card fees from vendors, and probably even be the provider of choice for a mortgage now (not because of these charges but because I will have my current account with them)

People please vote with ye'r feet, send an email to people who are less financially aware.

It would be worth anything to see AIB reverse this decision and be short 200,000 customers. This day and age, no interest current account and "Phone and Internet transaction fees". Poorly run and not competitive, they stink of state ownership. They will be scratching their heads then wondering why their own financial situation is even worse than anticipated then in 12 months.

Honestly, how the hell is an account with €500 any more expensive to provide an internet transaction to than an account with €3000. Bullsh*t.
Do you definitley need two forms of photo i.d to open an ulster bank account? I only have one
Advertisement
24-03-2012, 22:34   #197
JTMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonevin View Post
Do you definitley need two forms of photo i.d to open an ulster bank account? I only have one
Walk into an Ulster branch and they will accept passport ID only with proof of address.
Thanks from:
25-03-2012, 19:23   #198
BarackPyjama
Closed Account

A passport and a utility bill (not mobile bill) should be fine.
25-03-2012, 22:50   #199
d1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarackPyjama View Post
A passport and a utility bill (not mobile bill) should be fine.
It actually won't or should I say it wasnt the case for me. I am moving from AIB and went to UB yesterday morning. I had my drivers licence and passport as well as a print out of 2 on-line bills for Gas and electricity. As they were pdf print outs, they would not accept them. They wanted originals and as I have tv, phone, internet, gas, electricity, and credit card all set up for on-line billing I could not provide them with 'originals' so I walked out. I will move to BOI now instead....The girl in front of me had a similar issue.
25-03-2012, 22:54   #200
BarackPyjama
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1980 View Post
It actually won't or should I say it wasnt the case for me. I am moving from AIB and went to UB yesterday morning. I had my drivers licence and passport as well as a print out of 2 on-line bills for Gas and electricity. As they were pdf print outs, they would not accept them. They wanted originals and as I have tv, phone, internet, gas, electricity, and credit card all set up for on-line billing I could not provide them with 'originals' so I walked out. I will move to BOI now instead....The girl in front of me had a similar issue.
Interesting. I'll be walking in with a Passport, drivers licence, UPC bill and Airtricity bill on Wed. If they're not accepted, that's the end of that. I don't have time to visit them more than once.
Advertisement
25-03-2012, 23:09   #201
d1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarackPyjama View Post
Interesting. I'll be walking in with a Passport, drivers licence, UPC bill and Airtricity bill on Wed. If they're not accepted, that's the end of that. I don't have time to visit them more than once.
I didnt either and after waiting 30 mins to get where I was, I wasnt going to come back again. As it turns out, I do have some original statements posted to me at home but as BOI is closer to where I work and easily fall under their requirements every quarter, they will get my business for now. To note, she did ask was I on the voting register, which I am, she checked her computer and found no record. Not sure why they would have that list but I wasnt on it. Registered in my current address and have voted every time in this period.

Finally, been a customer with AIB for 14 years since college, have a credit card and a couple of savings accounts but making the move. Couldnt have faulted them til now.
Thanks from:
26-03-2012, 01:04   #202
Wheety

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1980 View Post
To note, she did ask was I on the voting register, which I am, she checked her computer and found no record. Not sure why they would have that list but I wasnt on it.
Anyone can check if they are on the voting register http://www.checktheregister.ie/Publi...t.aspx?uiLang=

I'm going to set up my Ulster Bank account but I'm not moving from AIB until I have met their criteria for fee free banking for this quarter (I think I may have already achieved this).

Then I will switch my salary to Ulster Bank and then switch everything else myself before closing down my AIB current account.

I will also have to close my Click Card account as you need to be an AIB customer for that. I'll apply to Ulster Bank for one too. I don't really mind if it's a higher APR as I have been paying it off on time each month.

I have a joint account with the GF in Ulster Bank already so opening an seperate current acconut should be very easy

How do you cancel your current account with AIB? They don't have a customer service number on their website anymore. Also the 'Contact us' form doesn't have 'current account' or 'account closure' as a subject for your message.

Last edited by Wheety; 26-03-2012 at 01:14.
Thanks from:
27-03-2012, 15:06   #203
Zascar

I've been with AIB for nearly 20 years and I think they have been excellent in this time, however this does p1ss me off. Thing is I do not want to change and regret it for the sake of €10 a month. However, I just took out a loan with AIB and the interest rate was ridiculously high, I think it was 12%. Are any other banks any better?
27-03-2012, 16:14   #204
johndoe99

i cancelled all my direct debits yesterday with UPC etc, and dropped in this morning and closed my account. They asked for a reason why i was closing, i looked at him and said 'have a guess', he just nodded, he knew why straight away. I bet i was not the first or last he will see doing the same.
Advertisement
27-03-2012, 18:00   #205
Amtmann
Closed Account

I have four accounts with AIB:

• A current account that has an interest-free EUR1,500 facility
  • A loan account which I opened to do an MA (over a year's worth of repayments left on it)
  • An account for my utilities
  • An account which I use to pay my rent
I'll keep the interest-free overdraft current account for now, thank you very much, and close it when my loan is repaid.
Obviously I'll maintain the loan account until it's settled.
I will move the other two to Ulster Bank.

However, given that I'll have a very good credit rating with AIB after I repay my loan, is it worth staying with them on that basis?

I have no history with Ulster Bank.
27-03-2012, 19:15   #206
JTMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zascar View Post
I've been with AIB for nearly 20 years and I think they have been excellent in this time, however this does p1ss me off. Thing is I do not want to change and regret it for the sake of €10 a month. However, I just took out a loan with AIB and the interest rate was ridiculously high, I think it was 12%. Are any other banks any better?
Loan price comparison here: http://compare.nca.ie/PersonalLoan
27-03-2012, 19:16   #207
JTMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtmann View Post
I have four accounts with AIB:

• A current account that has an interest-free EUR1,500 facility
  • A loan account which I opened to do an MA (over a year's worth of repayments left on it)
  • An account for my utilities
  • An account which I use to pay my rent
I'll keep the interest-free overdraft current account for now, thank you very much, and close it when my loan is repaid.
Obviously I'll maintain the loan account until it's settled.
I will move the other two to Ulster Bank.

However, given that I'll have a very good credit rating with AIB after I repay my loan, is it worth staying with them on that basis?

I have no history with Ulster Bank.
Ulster and all other banks can access your credit record.
27-03-2012, 19:48   #208
DAT64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheety View Post
Anyone can check if they are on the voting register http://www.checktheregister.ie/Publi...t.aspx?uiLang=

I'm going to set up my Ulster Bank account but I'm not moving from AIB until I have met their criteria for fee free banking for this quarter (I think I may have already achieved this).

Then I will switch my salary to Ulster Bank and then switch everything else myself before closing down my AIB current account.

I will also have to close my Click Card account as you need to be an AIB customer for that. I'll apply to Ulster Bank for one too. I don't really mind if it's a higher APR as I have been paying it off on time each month.

I have a joint account with the GF in Ulster Bank already so opening an seperate current acconut should be very easy

How do you cancel your current account with AIB? They don't have a customer service number on their website anymore. Also the 'Contact us' form doesn't have 'current account' or 'account closure' as a subject for your message.
If your switching to UB they can switch your AIB account & close your account there too.
Try Golden pages for your local branch to close account otherwise, or write to them.
27-03-2012, 20:12   #209
Kaner2004

I went in today to close the accounts. The manager came out and brought me into the office. I got the blurb about having 2500 in it at all times and said that wasnt good enough. She then offered myself and my wife free fees for life if we stayed, without any conditions at all. We have a lot of money between all of the AIB accounts so that might have swayed them.

It might be worth having a talk to them about your account.
Im going to open ulsterbank current accounts anyway just to have there if we need to change bank.
(2) thanks from:
27-03-2012, 20:16   #210
DAT64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner2004 View Post
I went in today to close the accounts. The manager came out and brought me into the office. I got the blurb about having 2500 in it at all times and said that wasnt good enough. She then offered myself and my wife free fees for life if we stayed, without any conditions at all. We have a lot of money between all of the AIB accounts so that might have swayed them.

It might be worth having a talk to them about your account.
Im going to open ulsterbank current accounts anyway just to have there if we need to change bank.
Thats brilliant well done for haggling!
Get it in writing to be sure its for life, that manager may be transferred to another branch & you may be back at square one!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion