What have you watched recently? - Page 550 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

21-03-2012, 08:19   #8236
MagicMarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmella2012 View Post
Just seen THIS MEANS WAR with Reese Witherspoon and Tom Hardy
Did not live up to expectations at all.
Very disappointing
Shocking
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 12:20   #8237
Turtyturd

Super: Watchable, I know it got labelled as a Kick-Ass rip off when it came out but there aint really many similarities between the two. Super provides a more realistic and mundane take on what happens if someone becomes a superhero. For a comedy there isn't too many laughs and most of them come from the OTT violence, and Ellen Page's (who plays Ellen Page yet again.) sidekick character. The Spoiler: rape scene between The Crimson Bolt and Boltie was odd and handled in a manner that was fairly dismissive of it, I don't know if it got any attention when the film was initially released but I reckon it would have got a lot more if the roles had been reversed.
21-03-2012, 20:45   #8238
OldeCinemaSoz

BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA

Kris Kristofferson gets all introspective
talkin' to a bagged head on the seat of his car.

Another masterpeice from the legendary Sam Peckinpah.
Thanks from:
21-03-2012, 21:56   #8239
SarahBM

Kes
really good. for a low budget indi film made in Yorkshire, I was impressed.
(2) thanks from:
21-03-2012, 21:56   #8240
SarahBM

Kes
really good. for a low budget indi film made in Yorkshire, I was impressed.
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 22:01   #8241
Mr Simpson
Closed Account

Saw 21 Jump Street today, it was surpisingly good, well worth a watch if you like that sort of film.
21-03-2012, 23:44   #8242
candy-gal1

The Mask - havent seen it in a very long time tbh, and i have to say i seriously forgot how hilarious it is especially when a little bit tipsy , brings back memories of seeing it in the cinema when i was like 9 or 10 i think , plus Cameron Diaz is the eptimome of 90s hotness in it just wow!
21-03-2012, 23:54   #8243
krudler

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy-gal1 View Post
The Mask - havent seen it in a very long time tbh, and i have to say i seriously forgot how hilarious it is especially when a little bit tipsy , brings back memories of seeing it in the cinema when i was like 9 or 10 i think , plus Cameron Diaz is the eptimome of 90s hotness in it just wow!
greatest. entrance. ever.

purely for critique of statement I just made, I present exhibit A :

she was only 19 in this, I feel very old.
22-03-2012, 00:54   #8244
Mickeroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtyturd View Post
Super: Watchable, I know it got labelled as a Kick-Ass rip off when it came out but there aint really many similarities between the two. Super provides a more realistic and mundane take on what happens if someone becomes a superhero. For a comedy there isn't too many laughs and most of them come from the OTT violence, and Ellen Page's (who plays Ellen Page yet again.) sidekick character. The Spoiler: rape scene between The Crimson Bolt and Boltie was odd and handled in a manner that was fairly dismissive of it, I don't know if it got any attention when the film was initially released but I reckon it would have got a lot more if the roles had been reversed.
I thought the Spoiler: rape scene was one of the biggest laugh out loud moments in the film. Think its unfair to dismiss Paige's role as just playing Ellen Paige, she played a complete homicidal maniac, was a very different role for her imho. Seriously messed up movie, and all the more awesome for it
Advertisement
22-03-2012, 02:11   #8245
mikemac1

The next three days

Didn't like it
22-03-2012, 05:35   #8246
JONJO THE MISER

Just after watching world's greatest dad, thought it was very good.
22-03-2012, 09:21   #8247
mikemac1

Nova Zembla

Dutch historical film, follows the true story of a Dutch ship which tried to sail along the top of Russia to Japan

Interesting story and well shot

Very good
22-03-2012, 10:45   #8248
Tony EH

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeCinemaSoz View Post
BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA

Kris Kristofferson gets all introspective
talkin' to a bagged head on the seat of his car.

Another masterpeice from the legendary Sam Peckinpah.
Warren Oates.
(3) thanks from:
22-03-2012, 12:30   #8249
bnt

I watched all three Matrix movies: the first a couple of weeks ago, then the final two over consecutive evenings this week. It made more sense that way, since Reloaded and Revolutions were filmed in one go and are basically a single two-part film - which tripped me up when I first saw them ten years ago, when I lost the thread entirely. The last film jumps in straight from the end of the 2nd, with no exposition or flashbacks to refresh your memory.

Now I can say I've done it, and can say I've seen all three and got a decent handle on the plot. I did want to rip out my scorched retinas when the final credits rolled, after over 4 hours of being bombarded with some of the most insane imagery ever put on the screen. That final fight between Smith and Neo had me going "ow!" at every gargantuan blow, and I had to go on Wikipedia for explanations of what happened at the end. Spoiler: Neo and Trinity and all those people in Zion killed, and for what? The Matrix wasn't destroyed - just rebooted - so could it all happen again?

But I did appreciate the imagination and skill that went in to it, the "easter eggs", and historical allusions such as the Merovingian and his wife Persephone. If you saw the Revisited documentary, you'll know that Keanu was a bit stiff for a good reason: he'd had major surgery on his neck before the first film, and couldn't risk doing more damage, so that became his fighting style.

Last edited by bnt; 22-03-2012 at 13:11.
22-03-2012, 12:55   #8250
krudler

I hated how in Matrix Revolutions the three main characters are missing for over an hour of the movie, we're instead left with uninteresting crusties battling robots in a place we dont care about. does anyone else thing given the choice they'd take staying in the matrix? I would, supercool place where you can defy phsyics or hanging around in a cave with a bunch of hippies? no argument.
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed