Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monster ESB bill

Options
  • 29-02-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

We received an ESB bill today for €480. Our previous bills have been no higher than €150 since we moved in in September. The only change on the house is that we've had a new TV (which uses considerably less power than the previous TV which hasn't been on in months). Generally we are obsessive about turning off anything we don't use, and we have gas heating. Overall, our power consumption has actually gone down since November.

A few weeks ago our main fuse blew due to some wiring issues with the shower, and we had to have an ESB engineer in to sort it out (the second time this has happened since we moved in). We've also had two separate men call in to read the meter over the last billing period.

How do we go about contesting this clearly ridiculous bill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi kfish2oo2,

Can you send me by private message the following details:

- The Electric Ireland account number
    - Your full name
    - The address/telephone number/date of birth on the account
    - Confirmation that you are the named account-holder

We will then investigate this for you and keep you updated by private message.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kingslea

Hi
    Got a bill for over €500.00 in August 2011, got on to ESB and was told that the bill was correct. Paid it and did all of the things that I was advised by the ESB to do. Got my next bill over €700.00 phoned again and asked if the ESB would send someone out. Was told no. Finally managed to pay the bill. Got the next bill now over €1800.00. Hubby met someone who worked for ESB in the past. He came to check things for us and contacted the ESB. Finally someone came out and a second meter was installed. Our meter was running "fOUR" times faster than the temporary meter. Contacted ESB and asked if they would get the problem sorted. Guy arrived last week and changed the meter.
    He said that this normally only happens when the meter has been tampered with and some gadget, can't remember what my husband said it was, was attached to the meter, adding insult to injury. We have been with the ESB for about 35 years all told. I am appalled at the conduct of the ESB delay the difficulty in getting someone to come out and now the added insult of the allegation. But I still haven't been told what they intend doing about the problem. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm so angry and I'm very upset by all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Kingslea,

I'm very sorry to hear of this. It is very rare for electricity meters to malfunction in this manner, but this is certainly not to impute anything negative of yourself or your husband. I can lodge a complaint on your behalf if you feel any such allegations were made.
    Kingslea wrote:
    But I still haven't been told what they intend doing about the problem.

Once it has been established exactly much you have overpaid, your account and past payments should be re-assessed and in this case, refunded. This can take a number of weeks.

In the meantime, if you would like me to have a look at the account for you, please PM me your account information. (Note however that due due to date protection, I can only discuss the account with the registered account holder).

Thanks,

David.

Hi Kingslea,

I'm very sorry to hear of this. It is very rare for electricity meters to malfunction in this manner, but this is certainly not to impute anything negative of yourself or your husband. I can lodge a complaint on your behalf if you feel any such allegations were made.

Once it has been established exactly much you have overpaid, your account and past payments should be re-assessed and in this case, refunded. This can take a number of weeks.

In the meantime, if you would like me to have a look at the account for you, please PM me your account information. (Note however that due due to date protection, I can only discuss the account with the registered account holder).

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. My husband has phoned this guy who says that the meter is ok. I'm really glad to hear this news. It is not nice to have been accused in this manner. I will contact you in a pm to let you know if my husband wants to make a complaint.
    Thank you for your interest in this matter.

Hi Kingslea,

David is out sick today, so if you drop me and Electric Ireland: Orla a private message whenever it suits. :)

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Dear Una,

Our meter has been replaced. We are waiting to hear from Electric Ireland on what they intend doing about the matter. If needs be I understand there is an ombidsman who can deal with the matter. If needs be I may contact you. Thank you for your reply.

Kingslea

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rosietobes

Hello, I received a bill this morning of €420.51! my previous bill was €28.94. I am living in a very small 2 bed apartment, we have storage heating but it's very rarely used as we have an open fire. This can't be right! any help would be appreciated as there is no way I can afford this amount. Thanks, Roisin

Hi rosietobes,

Was the bill based on an estimated reading? This would be shown at the top of the bill (see here for a sample). It is also possible that your previous bill(s) were underestimated.

If you would like me to have a look at your account, please feel free to PM me your details.

For customers who are hit with large bills after a series of consecutive estimates, we understand it may be difficult to pay all at once. Please contact us to arrange a payment plan if this is the case. You may also find this section of our website useful, which provides you with advice/interative tools to help reduce your bills.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I got a bill for €855!!!!

All the bills for the past year have been estimated and then I get a reading and am landed with this. It is from BG but I am switching back.

I assume I have been charged the full tariff as of the day of the reading if the previous tariffs were different will I get a rebate if I switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

It is from BG but I am switching back.

Coming shortly to a water utility near YOU :D In fairness its the ESB networks lads who do the readings but I presume BG noted on your bills that they were estimated ???

• Advertisement

Hi Morana,

Your current provider would be the best people with whom to check this.

When you make the switch to Electric Ireland, you will just be billed from the date the switch is completed.

Regards,
    Una

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Kingslea wrote: »
    Hi
    Finally someone came out and a second meter was installed. Our meter was running "fOUR" times faster than the temporary meter. Contacted ESB and asked if they would get the problem sorted. Guy arrived last week and changed the meter.

Interesting read that,my mum has just rang me to tell me she rang the esb this morning to call in a meter reading,she lives in a 4 bed semi-d,3 people in the house.electric shower,dishwasher,dryer and electric cooker.Heating is gas so immersion never used.The esb told her the last 9 bi-monthly bills were estimated and that going on her reading she owed them...wait for it....€3600!!!
    Now she has paid her estimated bi-monthly bills on time every time,the latest one coming in at around the €230 mark,a figure which i believe to be fairly average for the amount of people and size of house.Using this latest figure as an average bill that means shes paid €2070 in the last 18 months(the duration of the 9 estimated bills).So how in gods name do the esb reckon she owes them over 3 and a half grand?Theres not a hope in hell 3 people in a semi-d have run up 3600+2070= €5670 worth of an esb bill in 18 months.They have been no help what so ever and even suggesting that this is a normal amount.Where does she go from here?

Hi dbagman,

Although consumption varies considerably from household to household, the average national usage is 14 units per day. The above figures you quoted indicate usage well above this average.

The first step your mother would need to take is to check the meter, as follows:
    • Turn off all the power at the main trip switch (located on the fuse board)
    • Wait 10-15 mins (max)
    • Inspect the meter
    • The rotating disk (or flashing dial, if it's digital) should have come to a complete standstill
    If it is still moving, you would need to contact an electrician to investigate this further. We would dispatch a technician to the premises if it has been confirmed that the source of the problem is the ESB Networks meter. In most cases the problem is faulty internal wiring.

If the meter does come to a standstill this indicate the meter is ok; in this case she would need to plug everything out before turning on the power again. Once the power is on, plugging in appliances one after the other (although tedious) is a good way to hunt down power hungry appliances.

Either way I would recommend contacting an electrician to look into this.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

Hi dbagman,

Although consumption varies considerably from household to household, the average national usage is 14 units per day. The above figures you quoted indicate usage well above this average.

The first step your mother would need to take is to check the meter, as follows:
    • Turn off all the power at the main trip switch (located on the fuse board)
    • Wait 10-15 mins (max)
    • Inspect the meter
    • The rotating disk (or flashing dial, if it's digital) should have come to a complete standstill
    If it is still moving, you would need to contact an electrician to investigate this further. We would dispatch a technician to the premises if it has been confirmed that the source of the problem is the ESB Networks meter. In most cases the problem is faulty internal wiring.

If the meter does come to a standstill this indicate the meter is ok; in this case she would need to plug everything out before turning on the power again. Once the power is on, plugging in appliances one after the other (although tedious) is a good way to hunt down power hungry appliances.

Either way I would recommend contacting an electrician to look into this.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

Yeah they told her to turn off the power but leave it for 3 hours,as the house will be vacant all day tomorrow iv said ill do that for her and check it myself.I am an electrician and installed a new MCB fuse board myself a couple of years back so i know the board isnt the problem.In fairness given that 2 of the 3 people in the house work so theres usually only 1,if that,at home during the day there is noway they could possibly have run up this bill.

David I did all of the above and I still had difficulty in getting ESB networks to come out to my home to address the problem. It's just not good enough that this is happening and that it is being ignored by Electric Ireland. They have a job to do, and that is to solve problems that people have. Why is it so difficult to get someone to call to the house of the person who is having the problem. The only reason that someone finally came to my house was because a person who had previously worked with Electric Ireland/ESB knew who to contact.
    That man's mother needs to get you people out to her house, it's farcical that Electric Ireland can be so uncooperative when these situations arise. This needs to be aired publicly that this is what is happening to people.

kingslea

David I did all of the above and I still had difficulty in getting ESB networks to come out to my home to address the problem. It's just not good enough that this is happening and that it is being ignored by Electric Ireland. They have a job to do, and that is to solve problems that people have. Why is it so difficult to get someone to call to the house of the person who is having the problem. The only reason that someone finally came to my house was because a person who had previously worked with Electric Ireland/ESB knew who to contact.
    That man's mother needs to get you people out to her house, it's farcical that Electric Ireland can be so uncooperative when these situations arise. This needs to be aired publicly that this is what is happening to people.

kingslea

Could not agree more,to quote my mother "I cant talk to these guys as they start all the technical lingo and talk rings around me"
    This problem first arose back last august when i read the meter for her and they told her then she owed €1600.I had it out with the bloke on the phone and they said they would investigate it and I took that as the matter sorted as I hadnt heard a word since.My mum kept paying her bills since and thought the matter was being resolved.So now,just 8 months later,they are telling her a further €2000 has been run up on top of the initial €1600?I know for a fact the bills were being paid since then as I paid the last one myself as I owed her so said id clear it for her.So they are trying to tell me that,taking 230 as the average paid since august,she has paid €920 since then and yet these guys are trying to say shes used €2920 worth since?In 8 months?No chance.
    Im going to do their 3 hours power off test today so i can say its been done but fail to see how its going to help either way as the way i see it,if its running 4 times faster then it should be like the original post here said theirs was,4 times nothing(power off) is still nothing.And nothing proved.We need these clowns out to the house.This €3600 is going to break my mum.

dbagman
    What they are telling you is that if you power everything down and your meter is still running then there is a problem. If that doesn't work then you need to get an electrician in to check all the electrical appliances to ensure that they are not faulty.
    Good luck with the test. Hope it works out ok for you and your Mother.

dbagman
    What they are telling you is that if you power everything down and your meter is still running then there is a problem. If that doesn't work then you need to get an electrician in to check all the electrical appliances to ensure that they are not faulty.
    Good luck with the test. Hope it works out ok for you and your Mother.

Did the test and nothing,I am an electrician and have tested all the major appliances and they are fine,lets face it its not the alarm clock in my mothers room running up this bill faulty or not.Will be an interesting conversation with them again tomorrow

Hi Kingslea,
    Kingslea wrote:
    It's just not good enough that this is happening and that it is being ignored by Electric Ireland. They have a job to do, and that is to solve problems that people have. Why is it so difficult to get someone to call to the house of the person who is having the problem... it's farcical that Electric Ireland can be so uncooperative when these situations arise.

I can understand your frustration; not being able to accurately account for usage is something we take very seriously. The meters installed by ESB Networks conform to the highest international standards and are extremely reliable instruments. The reason we ask customers to check their own side first is because the vast majority of the time the fault lies with installed appliances/the property's internal wiring.

If you need any help in relation to your own account I'll be more than willing to advise.

Thanks,

David.

dbagman wrote: »
    Did the test and nothing,I am an electrician and have tested all the major appliances and they are fine,lets face it its not the alarm clock in my mothers room running up this bill faulty or not.Will be an interesting conversation with them again tomorrow

Hi dbagman,

Can you send me details of the account by private message, so I can look into this for you? Bear in mind that I can only discuss account details with the registered account holder, or a nominated contact. I'm assuming that your mother has authorized you to discuss the account on her behalf, going by what you have said above.

As I said in my previous post, the usage levels you have reported seem well above average, and if you have confirmed that the reason for the high usage is not down to the appliances or a fault in the internal wiring, I would be eager to have this investigated for you.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement

Hi dbagman,

Can you send me details of the account by private message, so I can look into this for you? Bear in mind that I can only discuss account details with the registered account holder, or a nominated contact. I'm assuming that your mother has authorized you to discuss the account on her behalf, going by what you have said above.

As I said in my previous post, the usage levels you have reported seem well above average, and if you have confirmed that the reason for the high usage is not down to the appliances or a fault in the internal wiring, I would be eager to have this investigated for you.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,
    Sorry only seeing your response now.I will get onto my mum later and get all the relevant details and PM them you as soon as I can.Will probs be late tonight or tomorrow.
    Thanks

Hi dbagman,

No problem at all. David will not be back on Boards.ie until Friday morning but I am here tomorrow from 8am and can look after your query if you like.

All the best,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rosietobes

I am back again. I have a monster bill and there's no way I can pay this in one go. Is there any way I can pay it off on a weekly basis or something? There's no way I can pay it one go..

rosietobes wrote: »
    I am back again. I have a monster bill and there's no way I can pay this in one go. Is there any way I can pay it off on a weekly basis or something? There's no way I can pay it one go..

Hi rosietobes,

If you send us a private message with the following details we can set up a payment plan for you:
    • Your full name, account number and address
    • Your contact number and date of birth (for account security)
    • Confirmation that you are the named account holder
    To reduce future bills, please see the energy efficiency section of our website, which contains plenty of tips and resources to help cut costs.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,

I'm still waiting for ESB to sort out the very large bills that I got last year!! Every time I contact them I'm being informed that there is a second meter installed at my home and that they will wait to see what it says. A new meter was installed last earlier in the year, but I am still waiting to hear from them. I've been paying the bills since the new meter was installed. Just said I would let you know what's been happening.

Regards,

Kingslea

Hi Kingslea,

We appreciate the update, and I'm sorry to hear it hasn't yet been resolved. If you need us to look into this from our end please feel free to send us a private message with the details I outlined in my post above.

Regards,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Hi

I am just wondering ..

I like my bills to be fairly regular so I know where I am with cash flow etc.

My last bill was 17th July and it said on my online account my next bill was due around 27th September but now today it seems to have changed and says my next bill is due 16th October .. Can you tell me why this might be please ?

The time period between 17th July and 16th October is to long and the bill will be bigger then average causing me problems.

My bills are normally every 8 weeks .

Thanks

Hi there,

Can you private message us your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address/telephone number as they appear on the account? We will then look into this for you.

Just to advise: we can only discuss account particulars with the named account-holder.

Sometimes there is a delay beyond the two-month billing period because of a delay in meter readings, however it would be unusual for it to be as long as you describe. We do have a facility called Equaliser which enables the customer to pay a set amount every month (this amount is subject to change if usage increases or decreases significantly) if that might be of interest to you.

We finish at 6pm so I would recommend sending the private message to Electric Ireland Reps and one of us will be here from 8am tomorrow to respond.

Regards,
    Una, Electric Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭eggy81

Sounds to me like there's a bit of an effort to scam people here.how unusual from a service provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

How do you reckon?

Advertisement