Is the Media Too Soft on Declan Kidney and the Irish Management - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

17-03-2012, 23:45   #1
dougieruggie

Is the Media Too Soft on Declan Kidney and the Irish Management

I haven't seen one article that has criticised Declan Kidney in all his tenure. Are our journalists really that gutless? Or do they genuinely think that Kidney has done an excellent job these last 2 years?

Our main rugby pundit, Gerry Thornley seems completely unable to criticise anything about the Irish management. Reading Thornley's articles you'd swear that Ireland are winning games for fun.

It just seems the hard questions are never asked. Brief paragraphs are given to Touhy not being selected. I find it hard to believe that every journalist thinks bringing on ROG and moving Sexton to 12 is a good idea. Reddan is clearly the better option to Murray yet no journalist questions it. Similarly no journalist questions why Reddan-Sexton arent paired yet they justify DOC-POC on the basis that you dont break up the partnership

Are Irish rugby journalists afraid that if they stray from the party line that they'll find themselves cut off from the squad and confrences?

Or do they really believe that Kidney is doing a great job and his selections are spot on?
Advertisement
17-03-2012, 23:46   #2
Tox56

Thornley doesn't want to risk damaging the relationship with his contacts within the squad. Namely, Kidney.
Thanks from:
17-03-2012, 23:58   #3
jimbomalley
Closed Account

Mcgurk alluded to the selection of DOC over Ryan afterwards, think that's the closest thing to criticism I've heard from the media. Hook bashes kidney but then again hook bashes everyone, the man is an idiot as a rugby pundit. It's all very cozy between the Irish media and deco, they need their player interviews after all
18-03-2012, 00:22   #4
Clegg

A while ago I was watching a Munster game on TV and Hook was one of the pundits. I was pleasantly surprised when he gave a clear, concise and accurate summary of Munster tactics and how they could improve them. Hook is a rugby man and knows the game well. I think he shows his true knowledge only when League matches are being broadcasted. Thats when the more serious fan tunes in

Stick him in front of a national audience however and all his knowledge goes out the window. He wants to be the Eamon Dunphy of Rugby punditry but he misses the mark by miles. He goes for the controversial statements but instead goes on the most ridiculous, moronic rants about players and coaching. And there are plenty of people that actually buy into his crap.
Thanks from:
18-03-2012, 00:32   #5
Borders no.2

Its a very small circle of people alright. As a Connacht Supporter when Bradley was in charge I read countless articles by a number of journalists saying what a great job Michael Bradley was doing at Connacht.

If you only watched a couple of Connacht matches like interpros and took your views otherwise from the likes of Hugh Farrelly and so forth you could believe Bradley was doing a great job altogether.

However the reality most of the time was completely different. The likes of the independent and times have a large amount of space dedicated to rugby and can't risk isolating themselves by getting on the wrong side of these people. Sad but true.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-03-2012, 00:36   #6
Clegg

Hugh Farrelly regularly has me scratching my head.

Reading his stuff makes you wonder if he even knows what he's talking about.
(3) thanks from:
18-03-2012, 01:11   #7
flyswatter
Closed Account

And hence, less pressure is placed on Kidney to be sacked than it should be.

In France the media would savage them.
18-03-2012, 08:57   #8
skregs

This forum is too soft on him. The man is an embarrassment, yet people rush to defend him on the basis of his performances 5/6 years ago.
18-03-2012, 09:40   #9
Seph503

Quote:
Originally Posted by skregs View Post
This forum is too soft on him. The man is an embarrassment, yet people rush to defend him on the basis of his performances 5/6 years ago.
Are you reading the same forum?? I can think of two, maybe 3 posters who are Kidney supporters and that's about it
Advertisement
18-03-2012, 09:46   #10
irishbucsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph503 View Post
Are you reading the same forum?? I can think of two, maybe 3 posters who are Kidney supporters and that's about it
There was more support for Eddie on here than there is for Declan IIRC. Still really doubt Kidney is going anywhere.

And he'll be excused 3 losses in NZ. And then we'll beat someone at home in the AIs and he'll be excused then. And then we'll go into the 2013 6Ns in the exact same position.
(3) thanks from:
18-03-2012, 10:49   #11
rrpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbucsfan View Post
There was more support for Eddie on here than there is for Declan IIRC. Still really doubt Kidney is going anywhere.

And he'll be excused 3 losses in NZ. And then we'll beat someone at home in the AIs and he'll be excused then. And then we'll go into the 2013 6Ns in the exact same position.
You can see that he's already got his excuse warmed up and ready to fire at the first sign of attack. His comment about the lack of TH backup is going to be the main pillar of his defense and designed to put the IRFU on the back foot.

Despite the fact that he's had possible replacements in other areas of the pitch left ignored for years and that Ross himself was a forced decision with the upcoming retirement of Hayes, who spent a year too long in green.
18-03-2012, 10:51   #12
danthefan
Closed Account

I will summarise Thornley's article from tomorrow for you all now:

"Two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref etc etc etc..."
18-03-2012, 10:53   #13
rrpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthefan View Post

"Two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref, two Lions captains and Ross missing plus a mean ref etc etc etc..."
I think I recall a point late in the match when even Nigel Owens took pity on us and failed to penalise the scrum even though it had marched backwards for half a mile and actually waited for the ball to come out.
(2) thanks from:
18-03-2012, 11:33   #14
Podge_irl

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthefan View Post

Thornley's moaning about the ref is seriously starting to grate. He's like a bloody child.
(5) thanks from:
18-03-2012, 11:36   #15
razorblunt

In all honesty,yes they are far too lenient. It's plain for everyone to see that DOC and D'Arcy should not have been near that squad.TOL ahead of Boss and Marshall also, you can go on and on. Heaslip coasting on previous form.

I long for the day when we get a coach that is unbiased to players and provinces and picks on form and merit, wishful thinking though.
Saying that though the players were pathetic yesterday with a few exceptions and should take the blame also.
Thread Closed