Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-03-2012, 10:57   #181
dub_skav

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpc191991 View Post
POM did a great job at 7 yesterday. I was watching him and he was often the first Irish player to e every ruck clearing it out. That is the job of a 7 and he did it perfectly.
I actually thought there were a number of rucks off first phase where he was not first there.
I think he played well, but it certainly wasn't an openside masterclass as some have made out - not you by the way
Advertisement
12-03-2012, 11:26   #182
molloyjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub_skav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpc191991 View Post
POM did a great job at 7 yesterday. I was watching him and he was often the first Irish player to e every ruck clearing it out. That is the job of a 7 and he did it perfectly.
I actually thought there were a number of rucks off first phase where he was not first there.
I think he played well, but it certainly wasn't an openside masterclass as some have made out - not you by the way
Agreed. At one point there were a few rucks one after the other when he wasn't first there and didn't get involved. He had a good game, especially for his first start, but he wasn't the be all and end all.

I still think this idea of having 1 player per position is daft though. Having SOB and POM at 7 and rotating them surely makes more sense than starting one of them every time. We shouldn't be afraid to utilise SOB at 6 or 8 either from time to time. We should be making the most of whatever depth we have, not ignoring it.
12-03-2012, 11:58   #183
Neil3030

Send a message via ICQ to Neil3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by molloyjh View Post
Agreed. At one point there were a few rucks one after the other when he wasn't first there and didn't get involved. He had a good game, especially for his first start, but he wasn't the be all and end all.

I still think this idea of having 1 player per position is daft though. Having SOB and POM at 7 and rotating them surely makes more sense than starting one of them every time. We shouldn't be afraid to utilise SOB at 6 or 8 either from time to time. We should be making the most of whatever depth we have, not ignoring it.
The role of the modern 7 no longer dictates they be first to every ruck though. Sure they'd be in bits after 20 minutes. Pocock, McCaw et al will often snipe the right ruck where they sense a turnover, which is what makes them so effective. A recent piece from The Guardian's The Breakdown focused on that specific point. I don't think I can post it here though, so if anyone wants it, PM me.
12-03-2012, 12:15   #184
Otacon
Registered Abuser

Send a message via Skype™ to Otacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil3030 View Post
A recent piece from The Guardian's The Breakdown focused on that specific point. I don't think I can post it here though, so if anyone wants it, PM me.
You can post a link to it. I would be very interested.
12-03-2012, 12:18   #185
Neil3030

Send a message via ICQ to Neil3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
You can post a link to it. I would be very interested.
I'm signed up to receive it by emails.

[EDIT]Ah, just noticed they also put it on their website:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...d-cup-analysis
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2012, 13:37   #186
molloyjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil3030 View Post
The role of the modern 7 no longer dictates they be first to every ruck though. Sure they'd be in bits after 20 minutes. Pocock, McCaw et al will often snipe the right ruck where they sense a turnover, which is what makes them so effective. A recent piece from The Guardian's The Breakdown focused on that specific point. I don't think I can post it here though, so if anyone wants it, PM me.
You would expect your 7 to be there or there-abouts in every second or third ruck though. It'd be physically impossible to be at every one.

Either way POM had a good game. I don't want to prattle on about it too much as it might sound like I'm knocking him when I'm not really.

Some interesting stats in that link...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion