Student maintenance loan in england.... - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-03-2012, 10:21   #1
thebrownie

Student maintenance loan in england....

Hi,

Im looking to study in England next year. I want to do a course attached with the nhs so therefore I haver no course fees to pay. However my parents cannot afford to send me to school unless i get some form of a maintenance grant. I attended secondary school in Ireland however I was born in England and we still have a house there. Does this allow me to apply for a maintenance loan?
Advertisement
12-03-2012, 19:32   #2
pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges

Maintenance loans are based on residency not nationality, so being born in the UK and having a house there when you normally reside in Ireland means you are not eligible under the UK loans system. Sorry it's not better news!
16-03-2012, 21:40   #3
UndertheBridge

Hey there, Currently studying an NHS course here. Its true you probably won't be eligible for a maintenance loan here. But you should be eligible for the irish grant ( the one you get from the county council!)

If you can manage to get a UK student bank account you have the backup of overdrafts that don't need to be payed back until your qualified and earning but its not really a route to go down....
16-03-2012, 21:46   #4
paky
Banned

how long do u need to be resident in the uk before you qualify for the student loan system?
16-03-2012, 21:49   #5
UndertheBridge

From my attempts to get it last september, you need to be resident 3 out of the previous 5 years there or something like that. Was missing out by a year...gutted!

But that was for an NHS course, could be very different for others.
Advertisement
18-03-2012, 13:05   #6
pow wow

It used to be that in England you have to have been resident in the UK for the 3 years preceding the start of your uni course. If you have been in the UK for those 3 years for solely educational reasons (boarding school and the like) the residency doesn't count. It may well be the case now that 3 out of the preceding 5 years would also qualify.

There's an official explanation here.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion