Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-11-2011, 21:27   #16
WilcoOut
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost86 View Post
High tower, is it not a recommendation that all future garda applicatants should be able to swim? as opposed to a requirement?
isnt the old fire brigade saying ´if you hear splashing in the water, the gardai have arrived?!´
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-01-2012, 00:55   #17
Canyon86

[QUOTE=HighTower88;75431271]Here's the answers you were looking for..

1) It's now an requirement that all new recruits are able to swim. As well as having a full driving licence and a first aid course.

Hightower,

these are not confirmed yet and are only recommendations
12-03-2012, 00:51   #18
collig2
Closed Account

Would you need some sort of certificate to prove you can swim from a local instructor (if this even exists) I wonder?

Also with regards the first aid course; I was under the illusion that a course was facilitated for recruits once they entered the college?

But I suppose with the level of competition that will be present when recruitment does finally come around all these courses and qualifications wont go to waste as every Tom, Dick and Harry with a law degree will be applying!
12-03-2012, 09:03   #19
First Aid Ireland
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by collig2 View Post
Would you need some sort of certificate to prove you can swim from a local instructor (if this even exists) I wonder?

Also with regards the first aid course; I was under the illusion that a course was facilitated for recruits once they entered the college?

But I suppose with the level of competition that will be present when recruitment does finally come around all these courses and qualifications wont go to waste as every Tom, Dick and Harry with a law degree will be applying!

You will do a first aid course when you start in Templemore. To the best of my knowledge it's a FETAC level 5 occupational first aid course. I've no idea if doing one beforehand will confer an advantage onto you when applying, though.
12-03-2012, 13:23   #20
WilcoOut
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by collig2 View Post

i wonder if a PADI open water cert woud suffice?

surely................

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion