Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc. - Page 10 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2012, 17:23   #136
Danger_dave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMarcus Hustle View Post
It really doesn't change anything, only that the Jets won't be pursuing Manning (they didn't have a realistic chance anyway). Just look at the details of Sanchez contract and you'll see it's nothing more than a deal to free up cap space.

I agree with you to a degree. The Jets always try and create cap room before free agency, but it shows the organization are going to give him a significant amount of time before pushing him into a back up roll at some point next season.

Also who else is realistically out there we can go for now ? No Manning , no RG3 . Matt Flynn is going to be a risk for any franchise because he's going to get alot of money and is unproven as a starter and when teams start to build tape on him how will he react ? . Campbell/Orton are they any better than Sanchez ?
Advertisement
11-03-2012, 17:34   #137
Diego Simeone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger_dave1 View Post
Also who else is realistically out there we can go for now ? No Manning , no RG3 . Matt Flynn is going to be a risk for any franchise because he's going to get alot of money and is unproven as a starter and when teams start to build tape on him how will he react ? . Campbell/Orton are they any better than Sanchez ?
If Manning goes to Arizona then Kolb might be a good fit?
11-03-2012, 17:44   #138
Chucky the tree

Quote:
Chucky, what are the Raiders like for cap space after all the restructures today (assuming Wimbley doesn't re-sign)?

Not sure now but I think we're still only a couple of thousand under, Wimbley should free up about $4.5m so it's a pretty horrible situation. I don't expect us to do a huge amount in free agency except sign a cornerback.
11-03-2012, 17:47   #139
JaMarcus Hustle
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallSparky View Post
If Manning goes to Arizona then Kolb might be a good fit?
Kolb and his people will probably feel he's good enough to start somewhere next year (he's not). He doesn't strike me as someone who will be willing to step into a backup role again which is what he would be to Sanchez, let's face it. Besides, I think there are more cap-friendly options to come in and compete with Sanchez, whether that's another veteran/career back up or a draft pick. The Jets don't have a whole lot of cap space to work with, and what little they do have needs to be spent on starters (i.e. right tackle, wide receiver, middle linebacker, safety).

The Jets could do a lot worse than look at Nick Foles, Ryan Lindley, Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson etc. with a mid-round pick - someone who already knows they will have to work hard to make it in the league and hopefully show that enthusiasm and drive that lights a fire under Sanchez. Would be very cap friendly too.
11-03-2012, 19:01   #140
JaMarcus Hustle
Closed Account

Salary Cap of $120.6 million will be announced tomorrow. Close to what was expected anyway. The franchise tags are as follows:

QB $14.436m
RB $7.742m
WR $9.515m
TE $5.446m
OL $9.383m
DE $10.605m
DT $7.965m
LB $8.856m
CB $10.281m
S $6.212m
K/P $2.654m
Advertisement
11-03-2012, 22:12   #141
neilster

Quote:
It really doesn't change anything, only that the Jets won't be pursuing Manning (they didn't have a realistic chance anyway). Just look at the details of Sanchez contract and you'll see it's nothing more than a deal to free up cap space. Unless there's Jets fans out there who had delusions of signing Peyton Manning this offseason, it's actually a very good move by the team when you get down to it.

it involves $20m guaranteed ...and its not the $40m ...really $4m variety like the McNabb - Redskins deal...its real money ....of course it wont be cos he'll get cut next summer and maybe costing 10 mill and 7-8 mill more against the cap

its true it really is only a sop to keep him happy and Sanchez is on an expensive short leash
11-03-2012, 22:18   #142
Syferus

The Jets already have Greg McElroy, if you add some young competition into the mix the Jets could slow cook a starter from those ingredients.
11-03-2012, 22:43   #143
Paully D

The offseason is just far too long
Thanks from:
11-03-2012, 22:43   #144
JaMarcus Hustle
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilster View Post
it involves $20m guaranteed ...and its not the $40m ...really $4m variety like the McNabb - Redskins deal...its real money ....of course it wont be cos he'll get cut next summer and maybe costing 10 mill and 7-8 mill more against the cap
The Jets have made two mistakes.

First, they considered themselves favourites to land Nnamdi Asomugha last year and restructured Bart Scott and Wayne Hunter's contracts to take bigger cap hits this year (thus freeing up space for Nnamdi last year). That didn't happen, so they were always going to be struggling with the cap this year.

The second mistake was even thinking they could land Peyton Manning this year. Even ignoring the cap problem and Sanchez, it would have taken Rex Ryan telling the owners that he needs Peyton Manning to win a Superbowl and admitting that he doesn't think he has the right QB in Sanchez. That would of course lead to the inevitable - Johnson and Tannebaum asking "Why the fúck are you going on national TV guaranteeing the Superbowl then?". (Who knows, maybe this was all a publically orchestrated kick up the backside for Sanchez, i.e. "We're not afraid to pull the plug on you if we think we have to")

I dont think anybody in their right mind thought for a second that Sanchez wouldn't be QB this year. So in reality, the contract comes down to one thing - freeing up cap space. Sanchez isn't getting any extra years guaranteed at the Jets, he isn't getting any huge increase in salary (he is getting an extra $2.75 million but restructuring a contract to help your cap always comes at an additional cost). Cutting Sanchez this year would have cost the Jets $5 million in dead cap space. Thanks to the new contract, cutting Sanchez next year will cost the exact same, give or take a couple of hundred thousand based on performances (you have to think if they're cutting him it will be the latter).

What it also allows is the Jets to offer Sanchez around next summer, and teams will know that they're getting a 4 year deal with only $8 million in guaranteed salary. There would definitely be takers at that. Basically, this contract puts the Jets in a position next summer that is no worse than they are in now, but gives them more options to resolve that situation....all on top of $6.5 million in cap space savings this year.

The contract looks excessive based on what Sanchez could potentially earn if he (a) meets all the escalators and (b) stays for 5 years. But you can bet your ass those Jets fans will be delighted if that happens, because if Sanchez is still there in 5 years that means he's developed into a damn good QB. It's a very good restructure by the Jets.

Last edited by JaMarcus Hustle; 11-03-2012 at 22:46.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2012, 22:05   #145
Chucky the tree

Raiders will be cutting tight end Kevin Boss.
13-03-2012, 02:09   #146
mikemac1

Texans cut RT Eric Winston

Shocking move, Winston is the best right tackle in the AFC.
The Texans Oline is incredible

Winston is a class act and would be a great signing for any number of teams
I'm amazed they released him, freeing money for Super Mario maybe?

The game is won in the trenches and the Texans are foolish if they lose Winston RT and Chris Myers C
13-03-2012, 02:18   #147
mikemac1

Rams cut Jason Brown Center

He was the highest paid center in the league just a few years ago
Drafted by the Ravens, performed extremly well and took the big money deal in St Louis

Salary cap cut
Quote:
he is due a $5 million base salary and will count $7.2 millon against the salary cap if he were to be brought back
I'd take him back to Baltimore if he can agree a reasonable deal. One of the above average centers in the league and only 28

Sign the man in Baltimore and give him a four year deal
13-03-2012, 02:57   #148
kmart6

Moss to 49ers...bit surprised with that, it'll either work out averagely or go so spectacularly wrong that it'll screw up their season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Schefter
Filed to ESPN: 49ers reached agreement on a one-year deal with wide receiver Randy Moss.
13-03-2012, 07:23   #149
eagle eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart6 View Post
Moss to 49ers...bit surprised with that, it'll either work out averagely or go so spectacularly wrong that it'll screw up their season!
Really? Its a win/win for the 49ers. Moss comes cheap at this late stage in his career and after a year off. If he doesn't work out he is easy to cut, if it works out 'averagely' then its a great deal. I think it could work out very well for them.
Thanks from:
13-03-2012, 10:10   #150
adrian522

I agree with EE, I don't see any way it can screw up 49ers season.

Last year Harbaugh signed Braylon Edwards, it didn't work out and their season was fine.

I still expect more free agent signings at WR as even with Moss 49ers only have 3 WR's.

Ted Ginn and Josh Morgan both become unrestricted free agents today.

Anyway I see this as a good move with little or no downside.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion