Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 08:13   #31
Conor74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,749
Yeah. Gonna do this alright.

Second marathon after the DCM. Just starting proper training last week, though have done a few half marathons over the winter and was running a couple of hours a week before now.

Would like to get comfortably below the 4 hour. Scraped it by seconds in Dublin.
Conor74 is offline  
Advertisement
10-03-2012, 14:06   #32
corked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: County Cork
Posts: 190
85 days to go - did a very slow 14 miles today.
Was hoping for a sub 4hr time again this year but will see how training goes.
corked is offline  
22-03-2012, 20:40   #33
alitoast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 208
For any experienced runners, how does this rate in difficulty when compared with Dublin?
alitoast is offline  
22-03-2012, 20:45   #34
menoscemo
Registered User
 
menoscemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tymon Park
Posts: 10,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by alitoast View Post
For any experienced runners, how does this rate in difficulty when compared with Dublin?
I'd say it's similar, there are less hills in cork but less cheering crowds too.
menoscemo is offline  
23-03-2012, 12:45   #35
alitoast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 208
Thanks menoscemo, i am hoping to do both but i have a new arrival due in late September so that might mean Dublin is out.



(Oh and i'd be the father by the way, my wife is great but a marathon 4 weeks after giving birth?!?!)
alitoast is offline  
Advertisement
23-03-2012, 15:34   #36
BobMac104
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,079
A reminder to sign up before the end of next week as the price goes up from 65 to 75 then.
BobMac104 is offline  
23-03-2012, 15:49   #37
rainbow kirby
Registered User
 
rainbow kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: North London via Dublin
Posts: 24,685
A reminder: If anyone is interested in putting a relay team from here together, give me a shout. If it's going to happen, would like to get it entered before the price goes up.
rainbow kirby is offline  
Thanks from:
23-03-2012, 16:27   #38
robinph
Moderator
 
robinph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: not Cork
Posts: 13,996
Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow kirby View Post
A reminder: If anyone is interested in putting a relay team from here together, give me a shout. If it's going to happen, would like to get it entered before the price goes up.
The relay is great fun. You get to run in a big event, but also get to watch it as well so best of both worlds. You are also a bit fresher at the end of it for the drinking that follows.
robinph is offline  
(2) thanks from:
23-03-2012, 18:06   #39
TFBubendorfer
Moderator
 
TFBubendorfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kerry
Posts: 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by alitoast View Post
For any experienced runners, how does this rate in difficulty when compared with Dublin?
Despite some claims to the opposite, Cork is a bit easier than Dublin as far as the elevation profile goes. You do get a lot more support from the sidelines in Dublin, though.

Having said that, there's not much difference. If you can do the one you can do the other.
TFBubendorfer is offline  
Advertisement
23-03-2012, 22:30   #40
sideswipe
Registered User
 
sideswipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBubendorfer View Post
Despite some claims to the opposite, Cork is a bit easier than Dublin as far as the elevation profile goes. You do get a lot more support from the sidelines in Dublin, though.

Having said that, there's not much difference. If you can do the one you can do the other.
+1

the biggest difference is potentially the weather, last year was near perfect in Cork- previous years have varied between very warm (personally find running in hot weather hard going) to very wet, but it's all luck of the draw i guess.
sideswipe is offline  
24-03-2012, 07:28   #41
Conor74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMac104 View Post
A reminder to sign up before the end of next week as the price goes up from 65 to 75 then.
Thanks. You saved me a tenner. You're also kinda to blame for the 15 mile lsr I'll have to face into today...
Conor74 is offline  
Thanks from:
24-03-2012, 08:50   #42
BobMac104
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMac104 View Post
A reminder to sign up before the end of next week as the price goes up from 65 to 75 then.
Thanks. You saved me a tenner. You're also kinda to blame for the 15 mile lsr I'll have to face into today...
Mine is tomorrow and i can feel a slogfest coming...
BobMac104 is offline  
24-03-2012, 10:03   #43
nellocono
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 418
Going to slog it out for 15 today myself. Have raced 3 of the last 10 mile races at about 7.50 pace so hoping the jump to 15 miles at 9.30 pace wont be too much of a shock to the system...

Still not decided on if im doing the half marathon or full yet, but I think I am going to have a good idea in the next 2-3 hours
nellocono is offline  
24-03-2012, 22:53   #44
fowler1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 41
Doing the half myself ,stepped up the training today with 16.
Hoping to break 78 looking forward to it now.
fowler1 is offline  
25-03-2012, 02:00   #45
Conor74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellocono View Post
Going to slog it out for 15 today myself. Have raced 3 of the last 10 mile races at about 7.50 pace so hoping the jump to 15 miles at 9.30 pace wont be too much of a shock to the system...

Still not decided on if im doing the half marathon or full yet, but I think I am going to have a good idea in the next 2-3 hours
Did 15 at 9 pace. Didn't have too much in the tank by the end.
Conor74 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet