Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-02-2012, 18:06   #61
eire4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsL View Post
Fine, but let's nip this 'Irish-born' crap in the bud. I can see that phrase becoming the new 'non-national'.
What would you propose?
eire4 is offline  
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 21:29   #62
MadsL
Elevation: 5,023ft
 
MadsL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 570 miles from Vegas that way, 123 miles that way!
Posts: 18,428
I already did, PPS number issued and a valid tax record.

In fact PPS number should do it...if you don't already have one issued.

Quote:
If you are Irish you will need to bring the following:
Birth Certificate issued by the General Registrars Office (GRO) or the old Long Form Birth Certificate

and
Photographic ID such as your Passport or Driving Licence

and
Evidence of address such as a Household Bill in your name.
(If you present an Irish Passport but were born abroad you should bring either your "Certificate of registration of a foreign birth" or birth certificate from your country of birth)
http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publication...GetAPPSNo.aspx

That should mean that any emigrees keep their vote, and any passport holders without any form of real connection (residence period or tax record) are excluded.
MadsL is offline  
29-02-2012, 08:22   #63
munchkin_utd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 3,965
actually, thats a prefect way of expanding the voter base to emmigrants (and other irish citizens abroad) with a valid an real interest in 26 counties affairs.
Only someone who has lived in the "republic" at some stage will have a PPS number.

And only someone who has lived in the republic is as a rule to have a deep interest in what happens with regard to social and economic affairs and can make an informed decision at the ballot box.
(you only have to look at how clueless Gerry Adams was at the beginning of his stint down south to realise how clueless even the most "irish" of people can be on 26 counties matters when the details and nuances of it never affected or interested them before) **

The more I have thought about it over the past few years, a system like in Germany that only citizens with a proven residence in the homeland at some stage of their life can vote when abroad.

What was missing for Irish people was a means of proof.
The PPS though is a perfect means of proof!


** Those in deepest south armagh/ south fermanagh are well clued in to 26county matters but they are a small minority of the million+ irish passport holders who have never lived in the state.
munchkin_utd is offline  
07-03-2012, 21:12   #64
Irishheart
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
If still and Irish citizen carrying Irish passport then you should be allowed vote in your home country no matter where you are.
One day they may come back.
So what do the anti Irish voting outside of their country think.They should pay for the right to vote?
I thought voting was a freedom.
Irishheart is offline  
07-03-2012, 23:56   #65
munchkin_utd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishheart View Post
If still and Irish citizen carrying Irish passport then you should be allowed vote in your home country no matter where you are.
One day they may come back.
So what do the anti Irish voting outside of their country think.They should pay for the right to vote?
I thought voting was a freedom.
strange post. Maybe do a preview the next time?

Anyhow, this here irish person abroad thinks Irish abroad who have at some stage lived in the 26 counties should be entitled to keep the vote they had at home when moving abroad.

the pps nr reference wasnt a suggestion to continue remiting taxes from abroad but was the simple fact that the PPS nr is your concrete evidence as to whether someone has lived in "Ireland" in the past at some stage as the swathes of 2nd generation emmigrants and older would not have it so would not be entitled to vote.
munchkin_utd is offline  
Advertisement
08-03-2012, 00:04   #66
Irishheart
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin_utd View Post
strange post. Maybe do a preview the next time?

Anyhow, this here irish person abroad thinks Irish abroad who have at some stage lived in the 26 counties should be entitled to keep the vote they had at home when moving abroad.

the pps nr reference wasnt a suggestion to continue remiting taxes from abroad but was the simple fact that the PPS nr is your concrete evidence as to whether someone has lived in "Ireland" in the past at some stage as the swathes of 2nd generation emmigrants and older would not have it so would not be entitled to vote.
Well to be honest i dont think second generation Irish should vote in Ireland unless they move here or take Irish passport like dual citizenship (and i highly doubt alot would go to much trouble for it).
No i have heard people complain that since no longer paying tax in Ireland why should they get to vote.On top of the ludicrous idea that they left because they wanted to so abandoned Ireland,so shouldnt have right.They should have right to vote to swing country to way they wish with said vote as still Irish citizens,and paying tax does not make it any more a right then person who isn't paying tax.People on social welfare have right to vote to.

P.S this here Irish person part mean.Most Irish people would be happy with Irish abroad voting,as its a free thing not something that is to be paid for right of being a citizen shouldnt end because you had to move countries.
Irishheart is offline  
25-04-2012, 14:04   #67
celtictiger32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,299
personally i think the votes should be kept to irish citizens actually in the country, i understand many people have left over the years through hardship etc but a lot of us still remained.

also someone said earlier that they thought voting was a freedom not always the case some countries fine people who do not vote i think australia implements this law if im not mistaken i think something similar should be introduced here.
celtictiger32 is offline  
25-04-2012, 23:48   #68
Ozymandius2011
Registered User
 
Ozymandius2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 686
I'm sorry but I cannot support people who don't pay taxes to Ireland voting in Ireland. Even the Irish unemployed pay indirect taxes.
Ozymandius2011 is offline  
Thanks from:
01-06-2012, 11:40   #69
munchkin_utd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishheart View Post
Well to be honest i dont think second generation Irish should vote in Ireland unless they move here or take Irish passport like dual citizenship (and i highly doubt alot would go to much trouble for it).<snip>
absolutely ! Or as I suggested, at least have lived in the state for a period (proved by possession of a PPS nr) so they have an appreciation for whats going on.

Just listening to RTEs coverage of the latest referendum (.. in my office in Germany, indeed us abroad have no clue about whats going on so cant be trusted to vote with an informed opinion.)

One of the pundits put down the low turnout to the shambles that is the electoral register. People moved and not transferred onto the register where they now live, or folks who have emigrated haven't been stripped of their vote yet. The entire basis of democracy in Ireland is already banjaxed.

So how is that relevant you might think!
In general elections the number of seats is dependent on the number of people registered to vote in a constituency. So on that front the system currently is flawed as folks living elsewhere in Ireland or abroad but not in the position to turn up at the polls are skewing the nr of TDs in areas (and depriving other areas of TDs).

Or more relevant to this thread.
If you read the constitutional review on the possibility of citizens abroad voting their main argument against emigrants voting is that every last vote counts so extra folks abroad voting could decide a local TD and that the system is representative of the locality so you cant have people from outside skewing it.

But if ALREADY folks now living outside the constituency are deciding either directly or indirectly the results of elections/ shape of the parliament, then the main argument to taking the vote from Irish emigrants abroad falls on its face.
munchkin_utd is offline  
Advertisement
02-06-2012, 17:10   #70
Ozymandius2011
Registered User
 
Ozymandius2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 686
I disagree with this for a couple of reasons:

- They are not paying taxes to the Irish state. Even the Irish unemployed are paying taxes when you include indirect taxes like VAT.

- They are not directly effected by the decisions made by the politicians yet want the right to elect them. That constitutes seeking rights without responsibilities.

- Where dual-citizenship applies, ther is a potential conflict of loyalty.
Ozymandius2011 is offline  
02-06-2012, 17:22   #71
golden lane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,357
a simple amswer, to a simple question......the irish abroad who cannot vote in their host country...should have a vote in the home country.......

nobody should have two votes.......and nobody should have no vote.......
golden lane is offline  
09-06-2012, 14:47   #72
Feathers
Registered User
 
Feathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Londain, Ríocht Aontaithe
Posts: 1,061
As has been mentioned, if you look to the likes of France where you have a number of seats for non-resident citizens. Image if the Dáil had 3 seats for citizens abroad (1% of seats for 20% of the electorate if you say 800,000 abroad & 3.1 electorate at the moment).

People are mentioning having to live with the consequences of your vote. The last thing the political parties want is voting for ex-pats, because they can't promise to fill in the potholes at the end of the road. To sway a vote, it would have to be ideological rather than a quick fix. Surely that is only good for Ireland?

& one of the guys saying even his brother abroad thought he shouldn't have a vote. But surely in that case, he wouldn't bother voting. If I were to vote in London, I'd have to take a half-day from work & travel to get to the embassy during office hours. & if there was a fee to do so I'd happily pay it.

I think in generally, the people who would make that effort are more informed about politics at home that a lot of people who go out & vote each time.
Feathers is offline  
11-06-2012, 15:13   #73
Shea O'Meara
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 943
If someone is forced to leave Ireland due to the incompetence of the government should they not have a say in colouring the political landscape in such a way that may enable them to return, as is their right?

Most people are ran out rather than left Ireland in the lurch or some other such nonsense.
Should an unemployed person with little or no prospects tough it out on the dole for a few years or seek employment elsewhere? That's an option regarding survival and quality of life put to most people who emigrate based on politically driven economics. The case could be made that those people have a voice that needs to be heard just as and if not more that those of us who thankfully are not put in that position.

There's a vast difference between somebody backpacking through south asia for a year or two and someone working abroad. You'll find a lot will move back if the economy improves as they have done in the past.
If we are shunning those who leave we should also be apologising because they had to.

I would suggest those abroad can vote but possibly put a five or six year limit on the right.

Last edited by Shea O'Meara; 11-06-2012 at 15:15.
Shea O'Meara is offline  
11-06-2012, 18:36   #74
celtictiger32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea O'Meara View Post
If someone is forced to leave Ireland due to the incompetence of the government should they not have a say in colouring the political landscape in such a way that may enable them to return, as is their right?

Most people are ran out rather than left Ireland in the lurch or some other such nonsense.
Should an unemployed person with little or no prospects tough it out on the dole for a few years or seek employment elsewhere? That's an option regarding survival and quality of life put to most people who emigrate based on politically driven economics. The case could be made that those people have a voice that needs to be heard just as and if not more that those of us who thankfully are not put in that position.

There's a vast difference between somebody backpacking through south asia for a year or two and someone working abroad. You'll find a lot will move back if the economy improves as they have done in the past.
If we are shunning those who leave we should also be apologising because they had to.

I would suggest those abroad can vote but possibly put a five or six year limit on the right.
no they shouldnt, many of us stayed here and took it on the chin while they left the country
celtictiger32 is offline  
11-06-2012, 19:01   #75
Feathers
Registered User
 
Feathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Londain, Ríocht Aontaithe
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtictiger32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea O'Meara View Post
If someone is forced to leave Ireland due to the incompetence of the government should they not have a say in colouring the political landscape in such a way that may enable them to return, as is their right?

Most people are ran out rather than left Ireland in the lurch or some other such nonsense.
Should an unemployed person with little or no prospects tough it out on the dole for a few years or seek employment elsewhere? That's an option regarding survival and quality of life put to most people who emigrate based on politically driven economics. The case could be made that those people have a voice that needs to be heard just as and if not more that those of us who thankfully are not put in that position.

There's a vast difference between somebody backpacking through south asia for a year or two and someone working abroad. You'll find a lot will move back if the economy improves as they have done in the past.
If we are shunning those who leave we should also be apologising because they had to.

I would suggest those abroad can vote but possibly put a five or six year limit on the right.
no they shouldnt, many of us stayed here and took it on the chin while they left the country
Many people stayed and had it easy also & many others left to send money home. You do realise that if everyone stayed there'd be an even worse recession?
Feathers is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet