South East Employment Action Plan - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-03-2012, 18:46   #31
merlante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
Its hardly a walk in the park either, setting up and running your own business. Its much more than being "too lazy". Many of those who have setup are struggling.
It's not just for setting up a business, a lot of the money is spent on mentoring, CV work, interviewing skills, and I think possibly some re-skilling. Basically, the cash is spent on making people employable who may have been in the same company for a long time. The problem is worse if 400 people with identical skills come into the market at once, which is where Europe tend to come in with support (although usually the losses have to be higher I think). But whether or not you set up a business or take another option, you are going to have to get out of your comfort zone one way or the other and try to make something out of what money is there. If you don't do this, the money goes back to Europe, simple as, and you probably stay on the dole or leave the country.
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 22:28   #32
Media999

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlante View Post
Because many people are too lazy to either start a business or take up the sort of mentorship on future options that are offered. Nobody gets a nice cheque for 10 grand, you get 10 grand's worth of help if you are willing to work for it, which a lot of people aren't.
See theres that attitude.

That famous Waterford attitude.
05-03-2012, 23:24   #33
tramoreman

people wont try to set up businesses beacuase say if the business fails there is nothing to fall back on
27-03-2012, 10:48   #34
Bards

did this ever happen

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusin...10007826.shtml
27-03-2012, 13:14   #35
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bards View Post
No, and I doubt it ever will. I rang the IDA a few years ago asking about it and as far as I remember they were going through the planning procedures as I think they had to build a facility for Servier on the site in Belview. That's 5 years ago now so memory is a bit hazy so I can't be certain that was the case.
Advertisement
27-03-2012, 14:13   #36
Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychedelic View Post
No, and I doubt it ever will. I rang the IDA a few years ago asking about it and as far as I remember they were going through the planning procedures as I think they had to build a facility for Servier on the site in Belview. That's 5 years ago now so memory is a bit hazy so I can't be certain that was the case.
so, just the usual lip service paid to the S.E, big fan fare ministers getting hteir photos taken than Nada
27-03-2012, 23:43   #37
Media999

EGF Fund only goes to people who dont qualify for free fees.

Guess what every single person that was made redundant is automatically entitled to!! yep free fees

So that means TalkTalk will basically get no help.

Now you know why so much of Dell and Waterford Crystals fund went back. Government blamed for that but reality is people just didnt qualify.
18-04-2012, 13:53   #38
fricatus

Here we go again... yet more jobs for Galway:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0418/maj...ter-today.html
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking16.html

Our public representatives really have to start asking the question of the IDA; why is Galway so successful at attracting inward investment, and what lessons can we apply to Waterford so that it too becomes successful at attracting such investment.

I don't begrudge them any of it, but there is such a disparity that the question has to be asked.
18-04-2012, 15:49   #39
Silverado

Our city and environs badly needs more industry and jobs so perhaps we need to do some original thinking for ourselves. Those new jobs in Dublin and Galway are coming from already established companies in expansion mode.

Right, so we need to either expand an existing Waterford industry or create a new one. Its not easy for us, the general public, to do much about expanding existing industry but maybe we can do something about creating a new one.

The role played by Waterford City Council was pivotal in re-establishing Waterford Crystal. Can this be repeated with another industry and use funds from the European Investment Bank to get it up and running. Perhaps we could use a co-operative blueprint like they did in Mondragon in Spain in the 1950s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_Corporation

I would propose something in the either in renewable energy or transport - perhaps an electric car or the like. Any other ideas?

If the IDA won't do it for us perhaps we can do something for ourselves. God helps those who help ...........
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 16:15   #40
Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Our city and environs badly needs more industry and jobs so perhaps we need to do some original thinking for ourselves. Those new jobs in Dublin and Galway are coming from already established companies in expansion mode.

Right, so we need to either expand an existing Waterford industry or create a new one. Its not easy for us, the general public, to do much about expanding existing industry but maybe we can do something about creating a new one.

The role played by Waterford City Council was pivotal in re-establishing Waterford Crystal. Can this be repeated with another industry and use funds from the European Investment Bank to get it up and running. Perhaps we could use a co-operative blueprint like they did in Mondragon in Spain in the 1950s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_Corporation

I would propose something in the either in renewable energy or transport - perhaps an electric car or the like. Any other ideas?

If the IDA won't do it for us perhaps we can do something for ourselves. God helps those who help ...........
Maybe we could lobby the Govt. to create a Waterford Development Zone with a special Corporate tax rate of 5% for the first 5 years in order to attract inward FDI. then revert to the national corporate tax rate thereafter.

Would not apply to companies or subsidiaries of same already operating/established in Ireland.
(2) thanks from:
18-04-2012, 17:14   #41
Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bards View Post
Maybe we could lobby the Govt. to create a Waterford Development Zone with a special Corporate tax rate of 5% for the first 5 years in order to attract inward FDI. then revert to the national corporate tax rate thereafter.

Would not apply to companies or subsidiaries of same already operating/established in Ireland.
That's good thinking. If the Italians are able to maintain special tax free zones in areas like Livorno, Livigno, the Aosta Valley etc. why can't we. We even have the Shannon Free Zone already which gives an attractive tax packages to businesses. Livigno in the Italian Alps is actually a VAT free zone.
30-04-2012, 09:50   #42
fricatus

SHOCK NEWS!!! Galway goes 11 days without job announcement!

Happily that sorry period has now ended:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0430/100...co-galway.html

Seriously... what do they have that we don't, that enables them to attract so many jobs?

A u********y perhaps?
30-04-2012, 10:27   #43
mike65
Closed Account

They have existing companies in growth areas that are expanding,
(3) thanks from:
30-04-2012, 12:34   #44
Sully

Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Skype™ to Sully
It may turn out to be false information, but I was told Waterford is on the cards for some "good news" on the jobs front in a few weeks. Who knows.
30-04-2012, 12:40   #45
mike65
Closed Account

Not another coffee shop shirley?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size