Milan San Remo... - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-03-2012, 23:59   #1
CtrlAltDelete

Milan San Remo...

I am not from the west but will be in Galway on Paddys day.. Does anyone know of a pub where a group of us could watch the race without it being A. switched over to muck and schtick ball and B. where wont be very crowded and require a tin opener to get into ?

Cheers all.
Advertisement
04-03-2012, 09:31   #2
TheBlaaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDelete View Post
I am not from the west but will be in Galway on Paddys day.. Does anyone know of a pub where a group of us could watch the race without it being A. switched over to muck and schtick ball and B. where wont be very crowded and require a tin opener to get into ?

Cheers all.

Bring a laptop, find a WiFi spot & watch online on <snip> . Otherwise its gonna be a weekend of GAA-TV

Last edited by Beasty; 04-03-2012 at 10:54. Reason: no links to streams of copyrighted material allowed
04-03-2012, 10:18   #3
victorcarrera

Irish pub, Paddy's Day, GAA and Cheltenham too. Unlikely.
Search for Italian wine and bistro or similar from room service.
04-03-2012, 10:57   #4
Beasty
Searchin' for segments ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlaaMan View Post
Bring a laptop, find a WiFi spot & watch online on <snip>
We cannot allow any links to potentially copyrighted streams

Any questions, contact SS
04-03-2012, 11:11   #5
TheBlaaMan

OK, cool. understood
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-03-2012, 12:28   #6
irishmotorist

Most answers are for question a). I'd say that the answer to question b) is "no chance unless you stay in your hotel room (or wherever...)"
04-03-2012, 13:51   #7
Esroh

There is also 3 6 nations matches aswell.
Give Nigel's Cycles a call and ask the lads have they any recommendations. Might know somewhere which might have a television that could be turned over in a corner if there are enough of you.
05-03-2012, 01:42   #8
mediwheel
Closed Account

Slight change of subject !
I'll be in Sanremo for the finish, any tips for the winner ? Was thinking of doing a bet for the kids to make it more interesting for them ??!!
05-03-2012, 04:09   #9
CtrlAltDelete

Thank you all.

I figured as much.

I will give Nige a call though.Very sound chap. As for the winner.. Freire I reckon if the Poggio is attacked hard enough by the others. Love this race. Kellys decent in 92.. what a rider he was. The general Irish public have no idea of what the man achieved...lets all play bog ball and become a hometown hero !
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 09:15   #10
nak

Quote:
Kellys decent in 92.. what a rider he was. The general Irish public have no idea of what the man achieved...
I didn't realise until watching Eurosport yesterday, that Roche and Kelly combined won every major race in cycling except Flanders. Amazing.
05-03-2012, 09:21   #11
CtrlAltDelete

I wonder why Kelly never won Flanders.... . . .
05-03-2012, 09:51   #12
manwithaplan

"Bog ball"? "Muck and schtick ball"?

A love of cycling and a love of Gaelic games aren't mutually incompatible. If you don't have enough love to go around, you're as guilty as the "general Irish public" you're pouring scorn on.

For info, the Cheltenham Festival will finish the day before but there will be the usual saturday racing, England v Ireland in the rugby is at 5pm (preceded by two other matches, including the likely championship decider between Wales and France at a quarter to three), the muck and schtick ball is at 2pm (no Galway team - lucky for you) and the bog ball is at 3.45.

And yes, Kelly's descent off the Poggio in 1992 was unbelievable. Argentin surprised to see anyone but he visibly deflated when he saw who it was. He looked nailed to the ground in the two-up sprint.
(3) thanks from:
05-03-2012, 10:00   #13
TheBlaaMan

Quote:
I wonder why Kelly never won Flanders.... . . .
And Sean Kelly has said he'd have surrendered one of his Paris-Roubaix or LBL wins to have won Flanders instead. He was second in RvV on three occasions: 84, 87 and 88 - SO close to a full scoop of the Monument classics
05-03-2012, 11:00   #14
CtrlAltDelete

hats off manwithaplan..good post.your right..and if I am honest the love does go around and I have the utmost respect for any person that breaks a sweat in a sporting capacity. It just gets to me at times all the coverage certain sports get in Ireland compared to our own sport of cycling for example.

Kelly coming off the Poggio and his calmness in the last km is for me one of the best sporting moments in Irish history.. I am not saying 'the best' because that decision is made on personal opinion but it was unreal. Watch it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3jQmkj3uI

I believe while being interviewed after the race Kelly was asked about the decent to which he replied ' some days you take more risks than others but today I took them all'. Brilliant.
(2) thanks from:
05-03-2012, 13:19   #15
elduggo
Closed Account

Quote:
hats off manwithaplan..good post.your right..and if I am honest the love does go around and I have the utmost respect for any person that breaks a sweat in a sporting capacity. It just gets to me at times all the coverage certain sports get in Ireland compared to our own sport of cycling for example.
so you think TV stations should show cycling to keep the (relatively) few cycling fans happy? Even though theres already fairly extensive coverage on European channels? Really? Sorry but thats ridiculous.

The club finals will be shown on Tg4, hardly a mainstream channel. Perhaps your problem is moreso with pubs showing GAA over showing cycling. But, seeing as cycling isn't really going to attract punters in to watch it, it makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion