Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-01-2010, 19:33   #1
abouttobebanned
Closed Account

Some personal thoughts about Dexter.

First off, I do love the show, but there are some bits that annoy me.

Deb is the most annoying character i've ever seen on Telly and is also the must physically unattractive - she looks like a 16 year old boy. All swearing, fine it's a character trait...but very off putting.

The opening is very well done, but makes me physically sick...the sound of someone eating...agh...

It can be predictable at times...it's almost as if they won't let the same thing happen twice because that will annoy the viewer...it won't!

I just wanted to write those things down in case anyone else feels the same way.
Advertisement
19-01-2010, 19:36   #2
TheBandit

i rather like deb as a character, i find her less annoying than the average female character....shes smokin too
19-01-2010, 22:31   #3
Rich1691

Tbh, I think the opening makes me hungry sometimes . As for Deb, well I think Michael C Hall could have done A LOT better, besides her looks she doesnt seem to have much of a personality when it comes to any press conferences for the show either.
20-01-2010, 02:37   #4
][cEMAN**

Personally I think the opening is one of the best intro's i've ever seen. It tells you everything about the show, along with giving you a personal look at the skewed perspective of the main character, and at the routine of the character himself.

When they did the intro in season 4 where he was doing things wrong, it was all the more meaningful. Dexter is a man of routine. Every episode you see his routine and process in work. You see something considered normal by most looking warped and violent.

It's great.
29-12-2011, 23:12   #5
Flashgordon197

Agree with you on Deb. Just at the end of season 5 and I miss Rita.
Advertisement
05-01-2012, 23:26   #6
Slunk

I find Deb pretty annoying. Its like she's going to burst out crying no matter what she says. I get she's suppose to be an angry character too but some of the over use of cursing is a bit cringey
(2) thanks from:
07-01-2012, 12:23   #7
OctavarIan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttobebanned View Post
Deb is the most annoying character i've ever seen on Telly and is also the must physically unattractive - she looks like a 16 year old boy.
You need to watch more TV.
23-02-2012, 23:00   #8
Japandamo

What REALLY used to annoy me about the intro was the fact that we see him shaving, but when he walks out the door he's got at least two day's growth. I've managed to put it behind me now, six seasons in, but it still irks me occasionally.
04-03-2012, 01:03   #9
Fidelis

I took a break from Dexter a few years ago, after having watched the first three seasons. I recently watched season four, and it dawned on me why I had taken said break. DEBORAH. I can't stand her! She's moans incessantly, and cries in (what feels like) every episode. I'm just half way through the first episode of season five and she's crying again. She really ruins the show for me
Advertisement
04-03-2012, 06:40   #10
Snoopy1

I couldnt stand Rita.
Is it me or is Quinn getting more and more orange as the series go on????
14-03-2012, 12:01   #11
Raoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japandamo View Post
What REALLY used to annoy me about the intro was the fact that we see him shaving, but when he walks out the door he's got at least two day's growth. I've managed to put it behind me now, six seasons in, but it still irks me occasionally.
Yep, this annoys me so much!!!
05-04-2012, 15:26   #12
Eamo71

Just finished watching Season 2 on Netflix. Really like the show though as the OP says there a few quibbles.
There seems to be too many convenient coincidences -- especially how Dexter's moral dilemma is solved at the end of season 2.
And while I like Deb's character what drives me up the wall is the constant references to her being "hot". She's not hot at all. Cute? Yes. Hot? No. Rita is hotter and Lila was off the scale ;-)
06-04-2012, 10:51   #13
Xevkin

Send a message via MSN to Xevkin
Deborah has always been one of my favorite characters in the show. Felt she was a great foil to Dexter, but unhappy how things played out in S6 - felt very constructed and false, not a believable direction for the character at all. Not pushed one way another about her physically but would defo put her in the "smokin'" category above others! The effect she's had on my vocabulary has been . . . .worrying, however.
06-04-2012, 11:17   #14
b318isp

I think the show would be a lot worse without Debs. One of the reasons why Dexter is so good is the very strong supporting characters and their stories. Debs character is as f**ked up as Dexter, and I like the way the script is written to have her so spontaneous, in contrast to Dexter.

I found Rita a bit insipid. I'm currently watching the start of season 5, and I'm not impressed with Michael Hall's acting in terms of dealing with her murder.
06-04-2012, 11:38   #15
Snoopy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b318isp View Post
I think the show would be a lot worse without Debs. One of the reasons why Dexter is so good is the very strong supporting characters and their stories. Debs character is as f**ked up as Dexter, and I like the way the script is written to have her so spontaneous, in contrast to Dexter.

I found Rita a bit insipid. I'm currently watching the start of season 5, and I'm not impressed with Michael Hall's acting in terms of dealing with her murder.
Insipid!!
That Is the word I've been thinking of fair ages to describe Rita. It's a perfect word for her.
I mean her husband raped her, beat her up , was in prison. And when Dexter helped her out with him she was more concerned about giving him a decent funeral.
I just thought she had no guts. Insipid is definitely a word for her
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion