Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-03-2012, 00:10   #16
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc1951 View Post
There is another sign up by the white van which says 50kmh, the mainline is 130 kmh How it's done in France
Yep, and that curve AFTER the 50kph sign ( following the 70kph sign at the start of the demerge lane) is nowhere near as sharp as the curves on the M7 and M18 exits....as in you could handle it at 80kph while braking some.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 12:38   #17
niloc1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
Yep, and that curve AFTER the 50kph sign ( following the 70kph sign at the start of the demerge lane) is nowhere near as sharp as the curves on the M7 and M18 exits....as in you could handle it at 80kph while braking some.
IMHO the NRA and the LA road engineers seem to live in their own bubble.
Perhaps they do attend international junkets about road design and building but they probable fly in and out and spend their time at the bar.
Having traveled many many thousands of miles throughout Europe I've seen the good and the bad but our crowd certainly appear not to have seen the good judging by some of the crap standards which can be seen here.
But then it's hard for them to experience real life from the window of a plane or the back seat of a taxi/limo.
02-03-2012, 15:20   #18
SeanW

Worst junction I've ever seen is the Moneygall M7 exit. W.T.F!!!???

Insanely sharp turns and a bunch of corners, and what's worse, when you're getting on going towards Dublin, you have a short acceleration lane on a steep enough incline, IIRC.

Bizarre, and dangerous.
Thanks from:
02-03-2012, 16:15   #19
Irish and Proud
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
Worst junction I've ever seen is the Moneygall M7 exit. W.T.F!!!???

Insanely sharp turns and a bunch of corners, and what's worse, when you're getting on going towards Dublin, you have a short acceleration lane on a steep enough incline, IIRC.

Bizarre, and dangerous.
I can see those interchanges being eventually blitzed - looking at this map, I think Jct 22 (M7/N62) should be modified to a full diamond/dumb-bell type interchange while I feel there's only a need for a half diamond/dumb-bell with East facing ramps at Jct 23 (M7/R445) - for Westward access, traffic from Roscrea could use the N62 South to Jct 22 while traffic heading West from Moneygall and Toomyvara could use Jct 24 (M7/R445). I think the junctions should be consistent with most of the other M7 junctions.

Regards!

Last edited by Irish and Proud; 02-03-2012 at 16:20.
02-03-2012, 16:37   #20
JupiterKid

I think (and hope) that junctions 22 and 23 on the M7 are rebuilt to a safer design. As Irish and Proud opined, J23 really only needs east facing slips as the R445 (old N7) is a perfectly good road for local traffic from Moneygall and Toomevara to travel to J24 for Limerick bound M7 access.

I haven't travelled on the M18 Ennis bypass yet but I believe it has a couple of similarly dangerous tight LILO exits as well.

The more I think about it, the more I can't fathom why the NRA allowed such poorly designed junctions to be built. I mean, it can't really be a matter of keeping costs down as a simple diamond or a dumbell would only involve gouging out earth and overlay for two extra slips off the motorway and no extra bridges needed at all.

Last edited by JupiterKid; 02-03-2012 at 18:57.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 21:27   #21
Sponge Bob
Banned

They have an excuse for the Ennis junctions, the road was built as a DC for 100kph traffic. They have none north of that or on the M7 ....bar stupidity.
Thanks from:
02-03-2012, 21:51   #22
Wild Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
....bar stupidity.
Come on Sponge - people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline