airline simulation - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2012, 17:58   #1
nondescriptuser

airline simulation

Hey, has anyone any advice( do's or don'ts) for the airline simulation game for the strategic management module?

Thanks
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 00:59   #2
extopia
Closed Account

Yes.
DO learn how to title your post in a meaningful way.
DON'T waste people's time with posts about exercises in strategic management modules as if everyone on Boards is actually taking that module.
Thanks from:
29-02-2012, 09:01   #3
An Citeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by extopia View Post
Yes.
DON'T waste people's time with posts about exercises in strategic management modules as if everyone on Boards is actually taking that module.
Alternatively, you could just ignore the threads that are of no relevance to you rather than posting some dickhead response to a legitimate question that would be of interest to 300+ students each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescriptuser View Post
Hey, has anyone any advice( do's or don'ts) for the airline simulation game for the strategic management module?

Thanks
The best piece of advice I can think of is to remember that it's a strategic management module. The financial performance of your airline is actually secondary to the decisions you make each week and your reasoning for making those decisions. The 3 key things I'd recommend are:

1. Read the simulation manual thoroughly before you start. You need to know what's required and what decisions you can make to implement your strategy.

2. Be able to justify each of the decisions you make with reference to strategic management theory.

3. Document your decisions and the rationale behind them each week. This will help you a lot when it comes to putting together the report at the end.
Thanks from:
29-02-2012, 09:13   #4
extopia
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Citeog View Post
Alternatively, you could just ignore the threads that are of no relevance to you rather than posting some dickhead response to a legitimate question that would be of interest to 300+ students each year.
You can agree to differ, but I wouldn't call my advice a 'dickhead response', thank you very much. It's a strategic management module after all. I'm sure corporate communications strategy probably comes into it in some way. Targeting a message at those most able/willing to act on it is basic, surely?
29-02-2012, 09:35   #5
nondescriptuser

Quote:
I wouldn't call my advice a 'dickhead response',
I would.
So you can agree to differ.

Thanks for the advice An Citeog.
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 18:58   #6
Konata

Quote:
Yes.
Please don't backseat mod. If you have nothing useful to contribute to a thread, then don't post. If you have a problem with a post then report it. These kind of comments are completely unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescriptuser View Post
I would.
So you can agree to differ.

Thanks for the advice An Citeog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Citeog View Post
Again, if you have a problem with a post just report it.
02-03-2012, 01:09   #7
extopia
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post
Please don't backseat mod. If you have nothing useful to contribute to a thread, then don't post. If you have a problem with a post then report it. These kind of comments are completely unnecessary.

Again, if you have a problem with a post just report it.
I have no idea what backseat mod means. But seeing as how you've brought it up, can I assure you my comments were genuine? What's wrong with pointing out the weaknesses of the OP's scattergun strategy? If you all want to be precious about this kind of thing, I would respectfully suggest that you reconsider your 'mod' motivations. I repeat, this is a respectful request, and god knows I understand the difficulties of this kind of voluntary work.
02-03-2012, 01:53   #8
Meat

"everyone on Boards"... but it's posted in the DCU forum...

I'm doing the simulation this semester too. My group are currently doing pretty bad but we're hoping for a good result this week. It seems the best companies in our industry have always been the first ones to expand extensively into certain markets so we're hoping to emulate that strategy by picking two different markets to enter and monopolise. However, we are luxury so penetrating new markets could be difficult.
02-03-2012, 11:39   #9
Konata

Quote:
I have no idea what backseat mod means. But seeing as how you've brought it up, can I assure you my comments were genuine? What's wrong with pointing out the weaknesses of the OP's scattergun strategy? If you all want to be precious about this kind of thing, I would respectfully suggest that you reconsider your 'mod' motivations. I repeat, this is a respectful request, and god knows I understand the difficulties of this kind of voluntary work.
I am sending you a PM to avoid derailing this thread further.
Advertisement
28-07-2013, 06:55   #10
fdfernandez

We are doing the airline simulation this quarter for our class. Is there any further information to share about this? Are there other threads that also apply? Thanks for any help you can provide.

This is in regards to the Interpretive Simulations Airline Strategy Simulation. Thanks.
29-07-2013, 22:27   #11
nondescriptuser

As I have only played the game once, with success arriving relatively late, please interpret my advice with caution:

Success in the module does not rely on success in the game. Focus on how it is you are going to present your weekly decisions at the end, and prioritise this above success in the game.

Seperating your offering from your class is an easy strategy to justify, and it also worked well in the end in my instance; we consistently maintained a high fares position and focused on specific route types when most others competed for low fare and regular fare categories.

Hope it helps. Good luck,if you've any specific questions get back to me, and post back how you get on.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion