RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service - Page 149 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-03-2012, 02:03   #2221
Last

Any issues with ka band lnb and diseqc switch

I have an 8 way diseqc switch marked "BEST" made in Germany. It has been working ok for quite some time without any problems. I have been using port 8 connected to a motorised dish that I move with a second receiver. This enables me to combine the diseqc for the fixed dishes (42E,39E,28E,23.5E,19E,13E) with the motor for the rest. The other day I connected this port (output 8) to a ka band lnb and it worked ok. Saorsat received. When I connected back the ku band lnb is was a little dodgy at first and has since failed altogether. The lnb is ok but the diseqc switch port no longer works for either ku or ka band. I wont connect the ka lnb to a different port until I have a replacement 8 way switch to hand. Has anyone else had any similar problems.
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 23:22   #2222
davidod1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last View Post
One option is to add a second receiver that has diseqc capability. Swop the existing lnb for a twin and install a ka band lnb offset by 19 degrees. Feed one output of twin lnb to existing system and use this as normal to drive the motor. Connect the new receiver via diseqc switch to 2nd output of twin and Ka band.
If you cannot get the 19 degrees offset needed to view both 28 and 9 without moving the motor then set it where ever you can, say for example at 7 degrees offset and just remember to move your motorised dish to 16 degrees in order to view saorsat.
Not the ideal solution but possibly a much cheaper one.
That I think is the line that I will follow first. It looks the easiest to prove one way or the other. Ideally a twin LNB, one KA and the other a Universal outlet. Although I suspect that might not yet be available.

Thanks again to all. I have a number of fall-back options available as well.
02-03-2012, 09:04   #2223
zg3409

Above is the image I created a while ago based on dishpointer's info. There was some questions as to whether the spots were accurately placed when compared to Eutelsat's own original maps, however my map has proved very accurate, in reality on the ground.

I started comparing to tooways own "colour" recommending tool.

http://finder.tooway-instal.com/fixe/pages/index.html

Using the above tool you can find the most recommended spot (colour) for your location.

By clicking all over the map you can find where one colour starts to be recommended and another stops. THIS DOES NOT SHOW COVERAGE. It simply gives you an indication of which spot is stronger. For coverage we need to compare the actual spots (which this does not give) and compare the interference from other spots of the same colour.

So I think my first image above gives the best information.

However, assuming dishpointer cannot be trusted, I attempted to glean as much information from tooway's site on what the coverage is.

HERE IS MY NEWEST MAP:
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~tdr/map.htm

Is is interactive and you can zoom in etc.
If you click on the + in the top right you can remove spots etc.

If the above link does not work for you, photos of the above map are here:
http://imgur.com/a/fVpfJ

such as:

THE MAIN FLAW WITH THIS PLAN IS THAT WHERE COLOURS MEET THE MAP GIVES A STRIAGHT LINE. This is not ideal. However from the curvey lines in south west Ireland, and north east scotland, you can get an idea of spot shape and size

Our main interest is the Irish spot and east scottish spot. This affects coverage in the Isle of man and north wales etc.

So basic summary:
I still think there will be coverage in all of the North of Ireland, despite this map.

I must give a big thank you to the guys from http://www.tog.ie that helped me with this. Without them I couldn't have managed it. They performed all the data crunching and geo mapping and made it interactive. It was a team effort with no one person managing it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colourmap.jpg (28.3 KB, 1204 views)
(3) thanks from:
06-03-2012, 13:45   #2224
dbcool

i know its still testing but - i'm in newtownabbey with an inverto ka lnb on a triax td78 - for weeks it has been perfect - even when raing heavily and as im using a spiderbox i'm getting 80% signal 44% quality - (that means nothing ) however im watching right now an it breaking up quite a bit rte jr just has a test page up and i'm getting random signal drop outs - i take it its just still testing? it this happening anywhere else?
06-03-2012, 16:31   #2225
swoofer

no breakup here in clare but just a test card on rte jr, q is 24% best i get is 44q but it seems to retain pic even at 0 q!! spider as well.

gbc
Advertisement
07-03-2012, 20:20   #2226
bigVee

I am 5 miles from Larne and using a Spiderbox 7000HD with a Lenson Heath 80 cm dish and Inverto LNB. At best Signal 90% and Quality 56% on Saorsat. Quality varies quite a bit even with a clear sky. I have only been watching the tests over the past couple of days but haven't had any loss of picture although quality has dropped to 24% when raining. Spiderbox would normally loose picture when quality drops below 34% as happens here sometimes on Badr 4 @ 26 E.
Thanks from:
07-03-2012, 21:14   #2227
watty

The amount of "quality" needed depends on the FEC. For example feeds may use 7/8 and thus use less spectrum. But big dishes needed, quality needs to be very high. Saorsat is using 1/2, very high errors is possible to be corrected, i.e. low quality. More common signals are 3/4 or 5/6
Thanks from:
10-03-2012, 02:21   #2228
The Cush

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
This from the latest RTÉNL-Saorview FAQ rev.6 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...9#post76732189
Quote:
RTÉNL has been transmitting test signals on this new satellite service since December 2011. RTÉNL expects the channel line up to be confirmed, and the SAORSAT service to be formally live, in February or March of 2012. Suitable consumer equipment (Set-Top-Boxes and dishes) will be available in retailers by this time.

Short piece on this in Broadband TV News today
The first RTÉNL SAORSAT FAQs now available - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploa...12-Rev-1.0.pdf

Saorsat weblink not active yet (still linking to the main Saorview site) - http://www.saorsat.ie/

Missing from the FAQ are the satellite tuning details - frequency, SR, FEC etc.

Quote:
3.1 When Will SAORSAT Be Available?

SAORSAT is available now.
No TV3 or TG4
Quote:
4.3 When Will More Services Be Added To SAORSAT?

This is a question for the television and radio service content providers / broadcasters rather than SAORSAT or RTÉNL.

Capacity is available on the SAORSAT platform carry a number of additional services.

RTÉNL will be happy to facilitate any content provider / broadcaster that seek carriage on SAORSAT on a Fair Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory basis.
Quote:
7.3 How Big Dose My Dish Have To Be?

See the map below. RTÉNL recommend a standard 80 cm dish in the green areas and a standard 100 cm dish in the shaded areas . In many situations smaller high performance or Ka specific dishes can be used, talk to you local installer.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RTÉNL-SAORSAT-FAQs-Mar-2012-Rev-1.0.pdf (527.2 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by The Cush; 10-03-2012 at 09:35.
(5) thanks from:
10-03-2012, 09:37   #2229
Tony

Guess they do not have proof readers , at least one spelling mistake on there.

"7.3 How Big Dose My Dish Have To Be?"
Advertisement
10-03-2012, 11:48   #2230
givecredit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Also mixing up their Saorview and Saorsats...

4. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SAORVIEW FOR ME?

4.1 What Are The Benefits Of SAORSAT For Me?
4.2 What Services Are On SAORSAT?
4.3 When Will There Be More Services Added To SAORSAT?
Thanks from:
10-03-2012, 11:48   #2231
dowtchaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post

No problem just
Quote:
talk to you local installer.
and he will fix it!
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2012, 13:44   #2232
zg3409

150 pages and we may have an official launch!

Shame about no TG4 nor TV3 nor 3E. People moan about TV3 not being on the service, not it's time to complain as Gaeilge.

Thanks to the Cush for that link to the PDF. It seems to have answered some questions.

Regarding the Triax TSC114 being Saorsat approved the discussion is here:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...1#post77536131

This seems to conflict with triax's own unveiling of a Sat only box with a blue display and no model number a few weeks ago. This sat only box may be approved in the future.
It also conflicts with the Walker Sat only box for sale in powercity and online. Hopefully both of these will be approved in the future.

Regarding dish size for Saorsat only, their coverage map does not seem to match any of mine. Also the north is totally missing, very strange.

Regarding the dual feed with 28.2 it doesn't make sense to me how it can work with the setup they claim Something is not right
See my post here:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...7#post77536577

Another rumour I heard was Tommy is going to dye his tail for the paddy's day launch

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tommySaorsat.jpg (98.2 KB, 429 views)
11-03-2012, 13:53   #2233
RogerThis

Would this setup work? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Irish-Saorsat...f#ht_959wt_952

Quote:
78cm TRIAX TD Satellite Dish
25cm Wall mount
Inverto Twin KA Band HD Ready LNB Saorsat Compatible
4 Fixing bolts and plugs
GT DiSEqC 2.0 2x1 switch
Golden Media Universal Single LNB 0.1 db FULL HD 3D Ready
Triax TD Multiblock LNB Holder for 4 LND
20m RG6 Coax Cable
10 f-connectors
Price seems ok at €98.98
11-03-2012, 14:13   #2234
Mr. Rabbit

Quote:
I am 5 miles from Larne and using a Spiderbox 7000HD with a Lenson Heath 80 cm dish and Inverto LNB. At best Signal 90% and Quality 56% on Saorsat. Quality varies quite a bit even with a clear sky. I have only been watching the tests over the past couple of days but haven't had any loss of picture although quality has dropped to 24% when raining. Spiderbox would normally loose picture when quality drops below 34% as happens here sometimes on Badr 4 @ 26 E.
Quote:
i know its still testing but - i'm in newtownabbey with an inverto ka lnb on a triax td78 - for weeks it has been perfect - even when raing heavily and as im using a spiderbox i'm getting 80% signal 44% quality - (that means nothing ) however im watching right now an it breaking up quite a bit rte jr just has a test page up and i'm getting random signal drop outs - i take it its just still testing? it this happening anywhere else?

Sounds as if it's going to be crap in the North, especially in areas such as north and east Antrim.
11-03-2012, 14:20   #2235
zg3409

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThis View Post
Would this setup work? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Irish-Saorsat...f#ht_959wt_952

Price seems ok at €98.98
>78cm TRIAX TD Satellite Dish

As I have linked to, dish size depends on where you live. For Saorsat the info we have are dark green and light green areas need a different dish size. For 28.2 dishes also need to be bigger in south west. So it depends. Also read my link to picking up Saorsat and 28.2 on one dish. This is a better thread to ask questions.

>25cm Wall mount

The dish is 80cm in diameter. Thus 40cm in radius approx. If you need to mount your dish at an angle then a 25cm wall mount may not move the dish out from the wall enough. When you turn the dish to point south it may bang off the wall.

>Inverto Twin KA Band HD Ready LNB Saorsat Compatible
This should be fine

>4 Fixing bolts and plugs
This should be fine but proper rawlbolts would be better.

>GT DiSEqC 2.0 2x1 switch
This is fine for one receiver with single tuner.

>Golden Media Universal Single LNB 0.1 db FULL HD 3D Ready
This is worth about 5 euro. Fine for single receiver, but I would recommend a quad LNB for later upgrading.

>Triax TD Multiblock LNB Holder for 4 LNB
This should be fine

>20m RG6 Coax Cable
Depends on distance. You will lose 4m with connections to switch and LNB's

>10 f-connectors
Ok

You also need a HD sat box. If you can wait then better boxes will come on the market shortly. Also setting up two LNBs without a meter will be difficult for hobbiest. If you are unable to install yourself you may get better value buying through an installer
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion