Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anne Frank: Two Years Rent Free! (Working Title)

Options
  • 02-03-2012 3:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

I'm writing a sitcom set around Anne Frank and her family and the time she spent in the attic. I think that there's plenty of potential to such a concept.

She's trapped in the attic with her obnoxious brother, her perverted uncle (who has a glass eye), her oul' mad Aunt 'Elga, who has scabies, and of course the token self hating Jew (still working on this character, I'm considering making him a talking pie/or possibly a piece of bacon, or a prawn cocktail or something else that devilishly satirizes foodstuffs.)

I'm looking for advice, or ideas or any other way you may contribute positively to the concept.

I will update this thread whenever I've had a new idea or want to run something by you, but please feel free to contribute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Sindri you are so entertaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Leave out the gas chamber scene. Probably a bit heavy for what you're going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

*creeps back out of the thread*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

This thread offends me deeply anne frankly i won't stand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

How about a little mouse comes out from under the floor boards and starts talking to Ann and shes getting ideas from the mouse or some thing like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Sindri wrote: »
    I'm writing a sitcom set around Anne Frank and her family and the time she spent in the attic. I think that there's plenty of potential to such a concept.

She's trapped in the attic with her obnoxious brother, her perverted uncle (who has a glass eye), her oul' mad Aunt 'Elga, who has scabies, and of course the token self hating Jew (still working on this character, I'm considering making him a talking pie/or possibly a piece of bacon, or a prawn cocktail or something else that devilishly satirizes foodstuffs.)

I'm looking for advice, or ideas or any other way you may contribute positively to the concept.

I will update this thread whenever I've had a new idea or want to run something by you, but please feel free to contribute.

I'd go with chips/cheese/garlic for the food stuff just to say, hope that helps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Seeing as its in Holland, Shouldn't she be smoking some fine weed. And throw in a few prostitutes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Because she's in Holland, the whole thing is a product of her paranoid state due to her smoking habit. WWII never happened, the book got popular then it became a group hallucination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's no Heil Honey, I'm Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'm thinking of an episode where Colonel Von Hufflegunk, a recurring guest character played by Patrick Stewart or William Shatner, enters the attic searching for Jews and finds the Franks. But the Franks pretend to be rats, and Colonel Von Hufflegunk can't tell the difference and hilarity ensues! Or is that too Anti-Semitic?

I'm thinking of an episode where Colonel Von Hufflegunk, a recurring guest character played by Patrick Stewart or William Shatner, enters the attic searching for Jews and finds the Franks. But the Franks pretend to be rats, and Colonel Von Hufflegunk can't tell the difference and hilarity ensues! Or is that too Anti-Semitic?

I think you've watched too many Seth McFarlene cartoons and not nearly on the right mixture of drugs to be funny.

FearDark wrote: »
    I think you've watched too many Seth McFarlene cartoons and not nearly on the right mixture of drugs to be funny.

Ok then how about this.

Anne Frank gets a call from the Guinness Book of World Records for being the best at hide and seek in the world?

Ok then how about this.

Anne Frank gets a call from the Guinness Book of World Records for being the best at hide and seek in the world?

Still lacks originality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How about she's really an Agoraphobic and there are no nazis at all, although she is terrified of mustaches. Everytime somebody comes to the attic or she thinks someone is coming, she becomes anxious and terrified as she is naturally, a serial masturbator. She always dreams of becoming a succesful actress but has difficulty of achieving this dream as she won't leave the ****ing attic.

FearDark wrote: »
    Still lacks originality.

All right then how about:

Anne Frank decides to take up tap dancing and hilarity ensues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Once they get caught the show is over and you wont get long out of characters hiding in a small space before it gets stale.

Also, I would suggest that a Jewish family hiding from the Nazis is not good source material for this type of work.

I'm all for writers being free to take on any subject in any manner but I don't think see why this situation needs to be laughed at, it's just empty shock humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Best concept ever :pac:

Lads throw out some ****ing ideas there.

smokedeels wrote: »
    Once they get caught the show is over and you wont get long out of characters hiding in a small space before it gets stale.

Also, I would suggest that a Jewish family hiding from the Nazis is not good source material for this type of work.

I'm all for writers being free to take on any subject in any manner but I don't think see why this situation needs to be laughed at, it's just empty shock humour.

There's always one. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You could have all kinds of plays on the Frank name e.g.
    • Frank-en-Stein: Papa Frank starts brewing beer in the attic, but doesn't have a Stein from which to drink it. So he sneaks down in to the house late one night to find one - and runs in to the German commander's wife in her unmentionables. Hilarity ensues.
    • FrankenFarter: Anne eats too many beans one day, and before long she's parping like a trombone - thus putting the whole family in danger. They have to cut a hole in the roof so they don't suffocate, but there's still the noise problem. Anne's little brother eventually solves the problem with a champagne cork and a roll of duct tape.
    • Frank-ly, My Deer. A German officer shoots a massive stag and hangs the meat in the larder - and the Franks are hungry. But how are they going to get a whole leg of venison up the ladder in to the attic? And, when they eventually manage it ... what do you do with it? Soon everyone's massively constipated from too much meat. Hilarity ensues.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Every week, Anne learns a new skill... typing, drawing, dancing, singing and so on and uses this newly found skill to successfully hide from the nazis, just in the nick of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Never read the book,but from what i hear it was boring

"Monday,hid"

"Tuesday,hid"

"Wednesday,hid"

and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All right then how about:

Anne Frank decides to take up tap dancing and hilarity ensues!

She'd have to fall in the sink for the big laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

An episode where the TV Licence inspector arrives and keeps knocking at the attic telling Anne that he's heard all the excuses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

How about she solves a murder mystery every chapter. Kind of like Murder She Wrote, but in the attic. In the final chapter, she finds out that Hitler didn't commit suicide but was murdered. But by who?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

How about some palestinians move into the attic next door . Then the jews keep trying to expand their attic space into the palestinians.
    You could haVe Paul Gascoigne as a special guest and get him to strip <hidden joke number 457>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

She opens a Twitter a/c

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I think the only thing that works with your concept is the Talking Pie. I want to hear more about that. Possibly something involving time travel and giant ants who talk with a scottish accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The attic could have a 60 Minute Makeover, or one of those DIY SOS episodes filmed there.

Advertisement