Skiing without Chairlifts and CableCars - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2012, 10:25   #16
TrapperChamonix

Ha Ha, I thought this would poise a nice little problem for everyone, but the boarders.ie have responded brilliantly. Tx for all the advice / suggestions

Zagmund: Skidoo is an option, I'll keep it in my back pocket in case other options don't work.

gaffmaster: Courcheval is a possibility, though I would be leaning more to skiing out of 1650 than La Tania. Otherwise the other half gets completely isolated from the rest of the party. But its an option to vary the week all right.

Micko: Its funny I go to the Chamonix Valley every year and had looked at Le Tour but not considered Les Houches. Looks good option. I'm in Argentiere in a couple of weeks so, I'll take an afternoon and check it out.

The other option I found is Megeve. Definitely accessible. Anyone any feedback regarding the resort / skiing. We are a mixed group with Kids and abilities going from beginner to advanced.

So my options in no particular order are
  • Courcheval 1650, 1850 and La Taina
  • Les Houches
  • Megeve
  • Valdallos
Given this is for 2013, I've lots of time to research

Last edited by TrapperChamonix; 28-02-2012 at 10:56.
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 10:54   #17
TrapperChamonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
You can walk/drive to top of chauvets (btw chauvets is very tame as it serves the green slope). That gives you access to Ubac, Signal or tarde. If she can bear the chair up Vescal, there are further runs served by Crous I&II. All these runs are red. There are beer keg cages 'LA Chaup' which are very tame and open up a few of the blues.

The village is quite and family orientated. Apres Ski would be tame. Nice restaurants. OVerall very friendly and very french (no tour operators). I go there every year and like it.
That's interesting looking at the map, it looked to me that Vescal was a drag lift. You think it's a chair. Probably shows the value of me checking directly with the resort that the Piste Map is accurate and up to date.

p.s. I like the sound of beer keg cages, though my wife might not.
28-02-2012, 15:03   #18
Down South

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperChamonix View Post
That's interesting looking at the map, it looked to me that Vescal was a drag lift. You think it's a chair. Probably shows the value of me checking directly with the resort that the Piste Map is accurate and up to date.

p.s. I like the sound of beer keg cages, though my wife might not.
vescal is a chair -and a long one
29-02-2012, 08:52   #19
Mmmm_Lemony

You could always do the A-Team trick and give him a glass of milk.

TrapperChamonix, I ain't gettin on no chairlift fool!
29-02-2012, 11:10   #20
hans aus dtschl

Could snowshoe/hike up. Tends to have the best access to terrain that way anyway...though I'm assuming someone who avoids chairs, funiculars and gondolas won't be terribly into hiking some far off peak...
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 22:48   #21
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
Most places are going to have very limited terrain available if you are only using surface lifts. Walking up with some skins and touring skis would be your only other option to get anywhere interesting. Lot of hard work though:

29-02-2012, 23:01   #22
Fattes

Oh why would you reccomed touring!

Have just posted this video touring is a very specific type of skiing the only comparison I can give is its like Marathon running! Only for the insane

01-03-2012, 01:31   #23
am i bovvered

Why not try to solve the problem.
My wife had a big flight and height fear, really affected her in a big way. We got to the stage we would try anything, she went for hypnotherapy and believe it or not it worked !!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion