Favourite WW2 Books / Publications - Page 14 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2012, 13:11   #196
youcancallmeal

Anyone read Hugh Ambrose's book The Pacific? My main interest is on the pacific theatre, I am either going to get the this or Nemesis by Max Hastings for an upcoming holiday. I think Nemesis might be a bit heavy going though?
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 14:45   #197
TerrorFirmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcancallmeal View Post
Anyone read Hugh Ambrose's book The Pacific? My main interest is on the pacific theatre, I am either going to get the this or Nemesis by Max Hastings for an upcoming holiday. I think Nemesis might be a bit heavy going though?
I had that same choice a while back in the airport, I went with Nemesis and it is excellent, though not quite as good as his book 'Armageddon' about the battle for Germany. You won't be disappointed with it, though I can't comment on Ambrose's book.
Thanks from:
29-02-2012, 01:24   #198
Morlar
Closed Account

This book arrived today :

Ordnungspolizei - Encyclopedia of the German Police Battalions September 1939 - July 1942

by Massimo Arico.

Some parts of it go into great detail, for example Pol Btl 93 - I have photographs of 2 Graves from men of 1st kompanie, Res. Pol.Btl 93, both men died on 27 December 1941. From this book I discovered this level of detail :

There are other areas where there are massive gaps but overall I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in Polizei Battalions of WW2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-93Pol Btl.jpg (214.6 KB, 157 views)
Thanks from:
26-03-2012, 16:16   #199
youcancallmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorFirmer View Post
I had that same choice a while back in the airport, I went with Nemesis and it is excellent, though not quite as good as his book 'Armageddon' about the battle for Germany. You won't be disappointed with it, though I can't comment on Ambrose's book.
I ended up getting the Max Hastings book Nemesis. Brilliant read, would highly recommend it. Must get Armageddon now!
Thanks from:
11-05-2012, 21:18   #200
Ardennes1944

Reading Dalton Einhorns "From Toccoa to the Eagles Nest" at the moment. a fantastic book, self published too.
Advertisement
27-05-2012, 00:56   #201
Jim S

http://www.afterthebattle.com/osComm...roducts_id=290

Current issue from "After The Battle" deals with the bombing of Dublin , might be of interest to folks.

If I might make a quick plug on a new guide to D-Day Beaches ;
"Walking D-Day" by Paul Reed (Pen and Sword) just published this month.
I bought a copy to take to Normandy (leaving on Wednesday), and having spent sometime with the book it is good.
The author Paul Reed is a well know author and historical adviser who has contributed to many good TV productions including "Dig WW2 Northern Ireland", which concludes on Monday night on BBC.
Paul is also a senior guide for Ledger tours.

Anyone going to Normandy , this is seriously worth packing to take with you, and is in its own right a good read.Publishers price of £15 , it can be had for about £10 on Amazon.
Friday next the fair at St.Mer Eglise and Sunday Tilly-sur-Seulles Book fair.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion