Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2012, 22:10   #31
mark17j

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGI_3 View Post
Switched to UPC from Vodafone just last week. Thought it was a no brainer. 25mb vs 8mb for the same price.

Regretting it now. Youtube completely unwatchable, constantly buffering.

Have tried with Chrome. No better.

Had absolutely no problems whatsoever with vodafone...
what's your set up? are u using wireless? if so, you may need to switch channels,if you're connected via Ethernet and experiencing these slow ups, u obviously have a fault on the line, check your power levels! I have 25mb in Dublin and use wireless. and it's great, 1080p vids load up fast with no buffering stoppages whatsoever.
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 22:47   #32
CGI_3

Wireless

Limerick

Channels changed on router by UPC remotely.

Same issues
20-02-2012, 22:51   #33
mark17j

Quote:
Wireless

Limerick

Channels changed on router by UPC remotely.

Same issues
your problem is wireless interference from neighboring routers.
Assuming u have the cisco ep2425 Http://192.168.1.1 "Set Up" under wireless click "Basic" change to channel 11, that's the one I use with no issues.
21-02-2012, 00:13   #34
vibe666

Send a message via ICQ to vibe666 Send a message via MSN to vibe666 Send a message via Skype™ to vibe666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark17j View Post
your problem is wireless interference from neighboring routers.
Assuming u have the cisco ep2425 Http://192.168.1.1 "Set Up" under wireless click "Basic" change to channel 11, that's the one I use with no issues.
not necessarily, it could be more or less anything and how do you know that his next door neighbours either side of him aren't already using channel 11?

do a speedtest on www.speedtest.net and if you can get a decent speed there, youtube shouldn't be buffering.

as a (very) rough guide, 3mbps should comfortably get you 720p video on youtube without any issues. you can right click on any youtube video and choose "show video info" to see what the transfer rate is and other relevant statistics about the stream.

also, you can check your youtube speed history here: http://www.youtube.com/my_speed

if you are having speed issues on speed tests as well, then it *could* be wireless interference. the only way to rule it out completely is to test again via a wired connection.

if that sorts the problem THEN it's time to change your wireless channel, but randomly changing it to various arbitrary channels and hoping it works, then re-testing each time is going to take quite a bit of time if you live in a busy residential area.

download and install inSSIDer and do a walkaround your house with your laptop running it and you will see a graph showing you all the wireless networks in your vecinity, which channels they are using and which of those channels overlap with yours. any overlap is going to be eating into your own wireless signal to some extent, the more there are, the worse it could be.

the solution is to find a wireless channel with the least interference from neighbouring channels, which you will be able to see from your wireless survey with inSSIDer. i'd recommend walking round your place and going to every window (upstairs and down if you have them) and hanging there for a minute or two just to see what pops up.

once you've done that, you should hopefully be sorted.

if you're still not sorted then it's time to call UPC. collect as much info as you can to send off to them. reboot your router, do lots of testing at various times of the day and night and make a log of the tests you do to give them a clearer picture of the issues. the more they know about the issue, the more likely they are to be able to find a solution.

Last edited by vibe666; 21-02-2012 at 00:21.
Thanks from:
23-02-2012, 22:23   #35
CGI_3

Used inSSIDer.

Am on channel 8.

The RSSI (whatever this is) shows green and -50

No one else on this channel.

Results on speedtest.net are very jagged on the graph...

UPDATE:

Sorry UPC, it might not be you!!

Tried an older Windows XP laptop and the results were good and consistent. About 25mb with ethernet and 20 with wifi.

The problem PC works fine on ethernet. Seems to be the WIFI on it that's at fault. BUT, then again, was never a problem with my vodafone connection

What should I check on this? Its a 6 month old DELL with windows 7.

Actually most of the time upload on speedtest just times out.. (WIFI only)

Any ideas?

And, strangely enough, I'm also having poor youtube playback on my Samsung Galaxy S phone. Hence one of my other reasons for blaming UPC as it only started getting problematic at the same time....

Could they be related? Can't see how myself.

Last edited by CGI_3; 23-02-2012 at 23:16. Reason: Tried something else
Advertisement
24-02-2012, 00:29   #36
Ben D Bus

I'm having the same problem with Youtube and UPC the last few days.

It's really odd as I can stream HD video from Netflix perfectly.
27-02-2012, 18:58   #37
Im_No_Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Bus View Post
I'm having the same problem with Youtube and UPC the last few days.

It's really odd as I can stream HD video from Netflix perfectly.
Also having the same issue with UPC, very annoying!
28-02-2012, 22:17   #38
Kensington

Absolutely terrible tonight, twenty minutes to load three minutes of relatively poor SD video.

Netflix is flying along at X-High HD so I don't know what UPC/Google are at.
29-02-2012, 04:42   #39
/\/ollog

Send a message via AIM to /\/ollog Send a message via Skype™ to /\/ollog
Lately, all google sites have been slow as poop for me.
100mbit and I'm buffering a 720p video right now for the past 5 minutes and it's done...1/15th of the video.

Connected by ethernet, gigabit ethernet, so it isn't my own network here that's the problem, it's UPC's.
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 13:07   #40
Ranicand
Closed Account

Have any of you contacted UPC about this?
Thanks from:
11-03-2012, 23:00   #41
Ben D Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranicand View Post
Yes

The problem seemed to go away but it's back with a vengance I've submitted a tech support message via the UPC website. I agree it would be good if others did the same.
11-03-2012, 23:02   #42
Kensington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranicand View Post
Yes - and it looks like their e-mail response is on par with youtube loading speed
23-03-2012, 23:43   #43
Tazzle
Hosted Moderator

HMod: Soldat
Send a message via ICQ to Tazzle
Continually awful youtube performance for me also. Anyone hear anything back from UPC? 100mb/Cork
15-04-2012, 16:55   #44
CGI_3

Turning off wireless N fixed it for me

Hi, I finally seem to have gotten to the bottom of my particular woes with poor youtube playback and a windows 7 laptop.

I disabled wireless N and now everything works perfectly. Strange, though that it didn't seem to matter on my Linksys N enabled DSL router.

The thomson UPC router is N also.

Obviously some other setting somewhere is in conflict.
16-04-2012, 21:06   #45
Lennyboy

Quote:
Hi, I finally seem to have gotten to the bottom of my particular woes with poor youtube playback and a windows 7 laptop.

I disabled wireless N and now everything works perfectly. Strange, though that it didn't seem to matter on my Linksys N enabled DSL router.

The thomson UPC router is N also.

Obviously some other setting somewhere is in conflict.
how did you do this mate?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion